Thread: Skidplate material?

Senior Member Getting Dirty

Skidplate material?

I am trying to decide if I should make my new front end skid plate out of steel or aluminum.

I am thinking a full piece that goes from my new steel bumper and all the way back replacing the Mopar engine skid I am thinking 1/4" aluminum would be OK. Most rally cars are running aluminum skids. I know there is a weight difference between a rally car and the Commander, but the rally cars also hit them a lot harder, i.e. at full rally speed and coming down from air-born manuevers, and have no problems.

A friend of mine picked up a gas tank skid plate for his TJ made from aluminum as well. No problems yet!

So anyone have any thoughts either way?

Senior Member Getting Dirty cico7's Avatar
    My first thought, that would be nuts to use Aluminum...But I am anxious to see it now!

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    I think it would depend on the type of off-road use you plan. Aluminum would be fine for dirt roads or mud but not for rock crawling.
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    I would go with steel.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty El Cid's Avatar
    I can only tell you why 4xGuard does not use Aluminum. While it is lightweight and rusts transparently, it can't take full vehicle weight without undue thickness (costly, decreases clearance, adds the weight you're trying to save by using Al) and it is "sticky" -- by which I mean that if you hit a rock with it Aluminum will want to grab and hold the stone instead of sliding across it.

So I wouldn't recommend it personally.
    Mike
    2006 5.7L Limited, Inferno Red, QDII, and all goodies. Modified Superlift 4" lift-kit, B.F.G. 285/70R17 A/Ts (1.25" spacers), Aries tail-light guards, AVS ventvisors, KC Hilites off-road lights, and from 4xGuard: Belly Guard, Front Guard 4, Matrix brush guard with Receiver and Grill Hoop, Rear Diff Guard, Rear Guard 2, Rear Sliders, and Side Guards.

Senior Member Getting Dirty Doc in AZ's Avatar
    cid makes a couple good points, but all that depends on the grade of the aluminum, just like there are different grades of steel A36 being the most common mild steel, and moving up to the iron that has high alloy content like armored plating. the more "pure" aluminums will have a lot of give to them, they flex & get hung up. as you start moving up the scale to the alloys they become much stronger, and much more expensive. steel is good and inexpensive.

this is the common grade aluminum that is just run of the mill, i use it for stuff that is not structural and certainly not for a skid plate, it will just get trashed.

5052 This is the highest strength alloy of the more common non heat-treatable grades. Fatigue strength is higher than most aluminum alloys.In addition this grade has particularly good resistance to marine atmosphere and salt water corrosion. It has excellent workability. It may be drawn or formed into intricate shapes and its slightly greater strength in the annealed condition minimizes tearing that occurs in 1100 and 3003. Applications: Used in a wide variety of applications from aircraft components to home appliances, marine and transportation industry parts, heavy duty cooking utensils and equipment for bulk processing of food.

T-6 is what i used when i was building baja racers.

6061 This is the least expensive and most versatile of the heat-treatable aluminum alloys. It has most of the good qualities of aluminum. It offers a range of good mechanical properties and good corrosion resistance. It can be fabricated by most of the commonly used techniques. In the annealed condition it has good workability. In the T4 condition fairly severe forming operations may be accomplished. The full T6 properties may be obtained by artificial aging. It is welded by all methods and can be furnace brazed. It is available in the clad form (“Alclad”) with a thin surface layer of high purity aluminum to improve both appearance and corrosion resistance. Applications: This grade is used for a wide variety of products and applications from truck bodies and frames to screw machine parts and structural components. 6061 is used where appearance and better corrosion resistance with good strength are required.
    Stone Soup Metal Works, L.L.C.
    623.939.WELD
    5037 N. 54th Ave - Suite #5 85301
    Residential - Commercial - Automotive
    See our work on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by IamJEEP View Post
    Thats a cool tool you have there...

English please
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 07JeepXK View Post
    English please
    LMAO I felt the same way dude

Im glad im not the only one. I felt stupid the entire time I was reading that.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty El Cid's Avatar
    That's why I tried to keep it simple instead of copy-and-pasting a big old block of text from Aluminum sales sites on the Internet.

The gist of it is that there ARE Aluminum alloys that will work. But there's usually a drawback of one kind or another. Typically, the drawback comes back to cost (of material, manufacturing, or both). So we tend to use steel.

After all, if perfection were wanted and money was no object, we'd make parts out of a high-grade Titanium alloy. Would be most spectacular.
    Mike
    2006 5.7L Limited, Inferno Red, QDII, and all goodies. Modified Superlift 4" lift-kit, B.F.G. 285/70R17 A/Ts (1.25" spacers), Aries tail-light guards, AVS ventvisors, KC Hilites off-road lights, and from 4xGuard: Belly Guard, Front Guard 4, Matrix brush guard with Receiver and Grill Hoop, Rear Diff Guard, Rear Guard 2, Rear Sliders, and Side Guards.

Thread Information