Thread: The American

Administrator
    Blog Entries

The American

by Michael Dixon/KTAR (September 3rd, 2010 @ 8:05am)

George Clooney is good in "The American." But, it's not what you think. Some critics have called it "European." You might call it boring.

Clooney is living with a woman in an isolated cabin in Sweden. The lake is frozen. The woman is hot. They walk by the lake and someone takes a shot at Clooney. Clooney shoots the girl, and he's on the run. We don't know why. We suspect he's an assassin, but we're not sure. All we know is, Clooney wants out of the game—whatever the game is.

His handler sends him to a small Italian town to hide out, where he meets the aging village priest, who knows Clooney is not what he seems. (He tells the priest he's photographer). He's lonely, and the older he gets, the more he needs the companionship of a woman. He engages a call girl, and they become involved. So, now all the characters are in place — but with no place to go.

"The American" is a suspense movie, but not an action thriller—despite the poster and trailers. It's a thinking film about the wisdom that comes with age, and about transformation. It requires patience. Yes, there are moments of danger, of assassins lurking in the shadows. But, mostly, it's about weariness, weakness and betrayal. And no one would care, really, except for the performance of Clooney, who is stoic, but interesting; tortured, yet hopeful; mistrustful, but, well . . . you get the point. It's ultimately a tug-of-war between sin and redemption. And the force of Clooney's personality makes us watch. Is it worth the investment?" I think so. Just know it requires patience.

More sentimental than intriguing, said The New York Times. Without Clooney it would be boring, said the Arizona Republic: 3 ½ out of 5. Time Magazine called The American surely the dreariest thriller of the year. And I say 3 ½ half out of 5.

The American is rated R.

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi447940121/
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Senior Member Getting Dirty cico7's Avatar
    How did knappster rate it?

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cico7 View Post
    How did knappster rate it?
    It is on my list for this weekend, was hoping someone beat me too it!

Senior Member Getting Dirty NeilSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    All I've seen of it shows him as an assassin , but he is carrying a Ruger Mini 14. Thats not a rifle that an assassin would be using, I wouldn't suspect.
    '07 Commander 3.7 V6
    2" Rough Country Lift with Vision Warriors and Goodyear Duratracs 245/75R17
    BajaRack Mega-Mule with KC Daylighters
    http://s624.photobucket.com/albums/t...cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

Thread Information