Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I've picked up my LAST *&%$#@! rock...

Senior Member Getting Dirty Adondo's Avatar

I've picked up my LAST *&%$#@! rock...

Last weekend, we took a day trip up into the Blue Mountains. We headed east from Walla Walla, on Government Mountain road, followed it to the last where it dumps out on USFS 64, then meandered for a zillion miles and hours later 'til we popped out in Dayton. (The spider web of forest roads was so complex, I don't even remember how we got back to pavement again)

Once again, we had to head back to town with a fingernails-on-a-blackboard screech of a pebble stuck in the brakes. That's about the 6th time. Every time, the wheel has to be removed, and the stubborn rock pried out with a screwdriver. Most of the time, I get lazy and let Les Schwab do it. (The tire store chain)

The original factory wheels with their flush to the rim spokes and sharp 90 degree edges act like blades on a combine header. They're infamous for packing snow and ice too. We about wrecked last year when several pounds of ice broke out of one of the ''pie slice'' shaped spoke spaces, and suddenly was EXTREMELY out of balance while doing 60 MPH on the freeway. I had to use my Leatherman to chip out the rest of the ice, while parked on side of the freeway.

Tomorrow, my new wheels will be in. I'm having these installed:
    (They should help get rid of the ''soccer mom mobile'' look too. )
    2006, 4.7L, QTII, Toyo Wild Country M/T 265/70R17 tires, Ultrasport 175 wheels, Rocky Road 2.25'' lift kit, HID off-road lighting, Surco 50x60 roof rack, Foxwing awning, Superchips performance programming.

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    Maybe it's just me, but all I see is a red x.
    2007 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi, QDII, Rusty's 2" lift, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, GetLost4x4's front hitch mount for portable winch.GY Duratracs 265/70R17s, Rola Roof Rack.

Senior Member Getting Dirty cico7's Avatar
    I see the pic. Says U L T R A M O T O R S P O R T S around the rim.
    I did that so GP would know I wasn't messing with him.
    I saw it last night when I was looking..

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    Yah, I see the wheel pic now. Nice wheel.
    2007 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi, QDII, Rusty's 2" lift, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, GetLost4x4's front hitch mount for portable winch.GY Duratracs 265/70R17s, Rola Roof Rack.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    That is a nice wheel, update your garage thread when you get them installed.
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty IamJEEP's Avatar
    Nice wheels! Please show a pic when installed. What size did you go with, factory 17" or bigger?
    ****Uwharrie Aprroved****
    2006 Commander Sport- 3.7L- 4X4*Inferno Red Crystal Pearl*Rocky Road 2.25" lift *"Limited" Color-Matched Rear Grab Handles*Mopar Hitch/Harness*4xGaurd Matrix w/Fogs*Rear Bumper Lights*Tinted Front Side Markers*MHT Fuel Hostage 17x8.5 +14ET*Nitto Terra Graplers 265/70/17*
    --------->My Garage<------------------

RAGE ROOF RACK MEMBER #2
    Quote Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
    Then I drove her hard for about 45 mins.

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    Did the rock get stuck in between the rotor and brake shield? I had that problem a lot and took off thoe brake shields. No problems since!
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Just got 'em installed. I thought it was going to be this morning, but their freight truck decided to reverse his route... they didn't come in until a couple hours ago.

Here they are: (They're 17x8)

I'm thinking the soccer mom look has vanished. I think they give it a little bit of 'tude'

And, yes, the pebbles get stuck in the shield.

On edit: Those are cellphone pics... I'll take some with my 'real' camera later.
    Last edited by Adondo; 09-11-2010 at 04:23 PM.
    2006, 4.7L, QTII, Toyo Wild Country M/T 265/70R17 tires, Ultrasport 175 wheels, Rocky Road 2.25'' lift kit, HID off-road lighting, Surco 50x60 roof rack, Foxwing awning, Superchips performance programming.

Here's a little better photo. We were parked in a wildlife preserve, while taking Jack (My micro-coyote) for a walk. I know washing a Jeep amounts to sacrilege, but I couldn't help myself.

And... I discovered a little problem while the Jeep was sans-tires on the lift:

I called Rocky Road today, and they're sending me a set of metal (upgraded) spacers under warranty. I'm just going to swap out the pair, even tho the other side is okay. The spacer is about to croak. I can lift up the top of the cone part like it's hinged.
    Last edited by Adondo; 09-13-2010 at 04:48 PM.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty strokeZ's Avatar
    Wheels look great man. Glad to hear RR is still standing behind their product. They swapped mine out a few months ago for metal. They make some pretty big claims on the web site and yeah, I am impressed with how they back up the products that have failed.
    2012 Jeep JKU Rubicon - 4-1/2" AEV lift w 35" Toyo's

03 BMW Z4 2.5i ESS Stage 2 Supercharged, Custom Suspension, Stebro Exhaust, Hamann Side Skirts

85 BMW 535is Lowering springs, bilstein sport shocks, extra attitude

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information