Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: rough country 2" or is it just a spacer for the front end?

rough country 2" or is it just a spacer for the front end?

hello,

just wondering if anyone has this installed this on their xk? i was thinking of getting this to get the front end to level out the front end. was it hard to put on yourself? i think its pretty much the same as the revtek one isn't it?

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    they are both spacers front and rear and it does level out the XK. There pretty straight forward to install if you know what your doing. Everyone recommends getting a spring compressor if you can I would try renting one or getting it from the parts store. There are tons of pics of the 2" spacer lift so you know what the XK will look like after click on my garage link or almost anyones garage link to see the results.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Most people can DIY if you are the least bit mechanical but I do suggest you have a friend or two stop by to help and it will go much faster. You need basic tools and although I did not use the spring spacer I hear it is eaisier with one and your parts store will most likely have one as part of their tool loaner program.
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Senior Member Getting Dirty 06blkhemi's Avatar
    I just installed this kit tonight. I was lucky enough to have a friend with a lift in his garage !Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo0083.jpg 
Views:	388 
Size:	79.0 KB 
ID:	337
    06 Hemi Limited,black,QD2,elsd,loaded minus back up camera,OEM hitch with 7pin harness. RC 2"lift,BFG Rugged Terrains 265x70x17(31.7"),1 3/4" Rugged ridge wheel spacers(front), 4xguard Matrix Pushbar and Grill Hoop,4xguard rockrail/sliders,4xGuard 12 bolt diff guard,6"Hella 500 Black Magic Driving lights.

well im finally tackling this. again... 1st time, my jeep attacked me and took half my pinky nail off!! as with all my jeeps... they have all left a memorable mark! but well worth? i guess...

so... ive followed the directions on the manual that came with the lift. i also found a youtube video of the lift being installed on a wk. but...

i can't seem to get the bolts out at the bottom of the ?strut? (that fork end) the bolt in the front has a metal piece bent to help the bolt from loosening up i assume? i bent it back to get the bolt to turn? and still nothing?

i still have yet to use the drill for my compressor? so im assuming that would get the job done?

i was just wondering if anyone had a hard time getting those bolts out during their install?

also, i read that the rear was a tough to do as well? i do have spring compressors so i would think it shouldn't be too hard right? also, i was wondering if everyone put the rear sway bars back in? i took them off the front end. thinking it wouldn't hurt much taking those off as well? i had the front sway bars off the tj and wj that i had before this and i never had a problem?

pretty much i am stuck on getting the bolts off the front front struts to get them off...

any tips would greatly be appreciated.... thanks...

i'll be working on this 1st thing in the morning... i have a few days off of work so im hoping i can get this on...

Senior Member Getting Dirty superacerc's Avatar
    The front swaybar will have to go back on for safety on the street. I test drove mine with it off and it will dip the front end and grab when turning at any speed and act as if it would flip easily. The rear can be left off and actually improves the ride IMO. All the bolts get a bit tough to deal with after a bit of use. They will come off. Spray them down with some wd40/breakfree and give it a try with that impact drill if you can. also the larger the socket wrench (I.e. Longer handled)the more leverage you will have. Bigger is better right?
    Good Luck
    2007 Commander 4.7L, QTII, OEM Towing Option, tow hooks, 2"OME + 1/4" rusty's leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shks, Rear sway bar removed, 4xguard front skid, Offroad Unlimited Defender Roof Rack, Hella 500FF lights, 265/70/R17 BFG KM2 M/Ts 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers
    http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...acerc-s-Garage

Senior Member Getting Dirty cico7's Avatar
    A lot of people have had trouble getting these bolts off. Once you get the nut off the back, the
    bolt sticks to the grommet. spay with wd 40, PB, and bang on it. Then get your torch to heat the bolt and wack it.

Just did mine and we had to use a PB and a impact gun on it. Once it spun loose just tapped it a few times and it came out.. I put both swaybars back on,I might take the rear one off though..
    The spring compressor definitely made the job easier for both ends. The problem we had with the back is the rear arm on the DS hit the gas tank skid making it hard to get the axle low enough to install the spring.. I also just installed the 4xguard Matrix W/grill hoop. Easy install and makes the XK stand tougher !!
    06 Hemi Limited,black,QD2,elsd,loaded minus back up camera,OEM hitch with 7pin harness. RC 2"lift,BFG Rugged Terrains 265x70x17(31.7"),1 3/4" Rugged ridge wheel spacers(front), 4xguard Matrix Pushbar and Grill Hoop,4xguard rockrail/sliders,4xGuard 12 bolt diff guard,6"Hella 500 Black Magic Driving lights.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty XK N00b's Avatar
    Just put mine on yesterday. I didnt have a 24mm socket so I just muscled the lower strut bolt off with a crescent wrench. The drivers side seemed to give me more trouble than the passenger on both ends. Driver front took me about 90 minutes. Right side took maybe 15. In the rear, I had a hard time getting the coil to clear going back in because of the upper control arm hitting the gas tank skid plate. I ended up really cinching the coil with compressors and took the bump stop loose, put it inside the coil and pressed it in place once the coil was in. Again, about 45 minutes on driver's side and 10 minutes on the right.
    2008 Overland in Black
    Loaded, Leather, 5.7 Hemi QDII,
    All 3 MOPAR Skids, VEC, Tow Pkg., 2" Rough Country Lift, 1 1/4" Spidertrax spacers, 255/75/17 BFG M/T's, Flowmaster 50 series muffler

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by XK N00b View Post
    Just put mine on yesterday. I didnt have a 24mm socket so I just muscled the lower strut bolt off with a crescent wrench. The drivers side seemed to give me more trouble than the passenger on both ends. Driver front took me about 90 minutes. Right side took maybe 15. In the rear, I had a hard time getting the coil to clear going back in because of the upper control arm hitting the gas tank skid plate. I ended up really cinching the coil with compressors and took the bump stop loose, put it inside the coil and pressed it in place once the coil was in. Again, about 45 minutes on driver's side and 10 minutes on the right.
    Congrats with your install !! I had the same problem with the rear. I was going to cut the tank skid to get a little bit more articulation back there,but the stock shocks would have stopped it anyways..
    Frank

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information