Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rear diff leaking - pinion seal

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    That sure is an expensive risk.... glad its been working out for you though. Hopefully you got lucky and got the preload correct. If you start developing a humming noise in the rear I would recommend not letting it go too long. I've seen pinion bearings seized from too much pre-load and its not pretty. And it's always the same story "yeah its been making that noise for a while, i just thought it was the tires"

Gears and bearings are something i'm extremely careful with. And I will not install them on anyones vehicles except for mine just for the simple fact that it doesn't take much to screw it up, and when you do screw it up it's not cheap.

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    Yeah I hear you. My friend who gave me a hand doing it has been doing pinion seals for 10 plus years now and hasnt had any problems. He told me it will be fine. If the rear goes then i'll just install a dana 44 that comes in the 2wd HEMI XK's along with an ARB locker!

Also I put over 25,000 miles on a year along with off roading. I think it would have failed by now. Who knows.
    Last edited by 07JeepXK; 07-28-2011 at 08:41 AM.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Ah... well that's a completely different story! Gears are an art form.... I'm sure your friend checked the torque based on his years of experience by way of "feel". The torque method is there for guys like us who don't do gears all the time.

Its kind of like re-packing hub bearings on a vehicle... it takes some experience to learn the proper "feel" when tightening up the assembly.

I wouldn't ever advise an inexperienced person to set pinion bearing preload by feel. But someone who's very experienced is a different story.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information