Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: For those with 4" Superlift kits, Would you recommend SSR shocks?

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty strokeZ's Avatar

For those with 4" Superlift kits, Would you recommend SSR shocks?

Would you recommend SSR shocks over the standard super ride shocks?
    Last edited by strokeZ; 10-25-2010 at 10:45 AM.
    2012 Jeep JKU Rubicon - 4-1/2" AEV lift w 35" Toyo's

03 BMW Z4 2.5i ESS Stage 2 Supercharged, Custom Suspension, Stebro Exhaust, Hamann Side Skirts

85 BMW 535is Lowering springs, bilstein sport shocks, extra attitude

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    I dont have the 4 inch Superlift but I have heard from others that the standard shocks are garbage. I'd definately go with the SSR's.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Yeah, it's anywhere from $200 to $400 difference in price with the SSR's. I figure better go for it now cuz it will really hurt if I have to change later..... My local guy tells me that the SSR's give a much stiffer ride and less body roll. I think that is what made me ask the question cuz Houston city roads are not all that great.

03 BMW Z4 2.5i ESS Stage 2 Supercharged, Custom Suspension, Stebro Exhaust, Hamann Side Skirts

Senior Member Getting Dirty superacerc's Avatar
    Didn't realize you were also in Houston. No they aren't that great are they. I need a long travel setup just to get to work almost.
    2007 Commander 4.7L, QTII, OEM Towing Option, tow hooks, 2"OME + 1/4" rusty's leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shks, Rear sway bar removed, 4xguard front skid, Offroad Unlimited Defender Roof Rack, Hella 500FF lights, 265/70/R17 BFG KM2 M/Ts 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers
    http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...acerc-s-Garage

Man I drove from Houston to Detroit and gotta say that even Detroit, for as bad as a wrap as they get have better roads than we do. Freeways, no, but secondaries stink here.

Well hell if you are here in town, let's meet up sometime. I think wrenchin hobo is here as well. Would be cool.

Junior Member Looking for Dirt kmax's Avatar
    I think the SSR's are worth the money. I didn't think they ride stiffer than stock. My seat of the pants feel between my XK and my wife's - mine rides better, more cadillac-ish. Her's has the side to side pitching through pot holes and mine does not. Her's has the BDS 2" kit but we kept the stock struts and rear shocks. The SSR's have been great. Admittedly overkill for places like moab where they don't heat up, but I think they give a great ride.
    Ken
    Colorado
    '06 Ltd, 5.7, QDII, 4" Superlift SSR + Deaver front coils, GL4x4 bumper, Smittybilt XRC10/synthetic rope, Flowmaster 50, aFe intake, 4xG rock rails, Rola rack, stupid little CB, 1.5" spacers and 285/70-17 KM2's on Moab's. Sold.

Cool and THANKS! Looks like from your signature that you stayed with 32" tires....my plan as well - at least til they wear out I was quoted $800 for the install from our local 4x4 place....does that sound reasonable?

Junior Member Looking for Dirt kmax's Avatar
    I've stayed with the 32's since I bought them with only 50 miles on them a year and a half ago and they're not really wearing out. So I've actually had those taken off the Rubi rims and have installed 285/70/17 KM2's. I'll reinstall the 255's on my factory rims to trade the XK off, probably next fall. I'm kind of a slow driver so I don't wear tires out too quickly.

As for the install, I think $800 is right in there. I had my local dealer install my 4" SL and their rate for doing that was $85/hr. Since they had never done one previous to mine, it took them 22 hours (=$1,870!!) which they were more than happy to cut to $850 since they used my Jeep as their guinea pig. Yours won't take near that time if your installer had already done this kit.

By the way - you'll love it. It's a fantastic addition to the Commander.
    Ken
    Colorado
    '06 Ltd, 5.7, QDII, 4" Superlift SSR + Deaver front coils, GL4x4 bumper, Smittybilt XRC10/synthetic rope, Flowmaster 50, aFe intake, 4xG rock rails, Rola rack, stupid little CB, 1.5" spacers and 285/70-17 KM2's on Moab's. Sold.

Just FYI - Superlift is no longer offering SSR's with the kit. Either stock Super Rides or Bilstein's are now the choices. 4-6 week lead time (Yikes!).

Thanks to everyone who responded to this thread. If all goes according to plan I will have the lift installed early next week! PSYCHED!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information