Thread: Camping Kitchen - Chuck Box (Not Charles)

Senior Member Getting Dirty cico7's Avatar

Camping Kitchen - Chuck Box (Not Charles)

Well, I finally finished my portable camp kitchen. I looked at a number of
    different designs and websites and this is what I came up with.

From the front, I have the stove on top
    Fuel cylinders & Coffee pot - Food & Bowls - Dishpan & Kettle

Below I put 3 plastic tubs
    Plastic Knives / Forks / Spoons / Condiments

Fire Starters.....dry kindling

Heavy chinet Paper plates. Also have a couple hard plastic plates

Some extras pics............

If anyone wants the diminsions of this, let me know.

I will probably build another one, this was my 2nd prototype.

I kinda think I need a drawer. between the cook top and the dish pan area.

If you are short or have a large gut, the drop down
    front may be tough because you have to lean over it to get the cook top.
    I built this to set on top of a picnic table or I use my Walmart 6' table.

My next one probably wont be as deep as this, it is about 2" deeper than it needs to be.

Hope this is posted in the correct area. If not, please move to a more suitable area. Like Camping Equipment!
    I am looking for a small LP tank. Bigger than the disposable ones from Walmost, but less that the 25 pounders.

Could I use MAP gas for a hotter fire?

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Very cool, what about two doors that would open out in the front and then the drop-down would not be in the way?

Senior Member Getting Dirty NeilSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Very cool. Does that thing have a built-in table saw ? Awesome !! LOL !!
    '07 Commander 3.7 V6
    2" Rough Country Lift with Vision Warriors and Goodyear Duratracs 245/75R17
    BajaRack Mega-Mule with KC Daylighters
    http://s624.photobucket.com/albums/t...cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

Senior Member Getting Dirty superacerc's Avatar
    Thats no tablesaw, its a Tim the Toolman Taylor deli meat slicer!
    2007 Commander 4.7L, QTII, OEM Towing Option, tow hooks, 2"OME + 1/4" rusty's leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shks, Rear sway bar removed, 4xguard front skid, Offroad Unlimited Defender Roof Rack, Hella 500FF lights, 265/70/R17 BFG KM2 M/Ts 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers
    http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...acerc-s-Garage

Senior Member Getting Dirty Adondo's Avatar
    I built one about 15 years ago. It's still under the bench in the shop. Mine's about 36'' long, 20'' deep, and about 20'' tall. I used a small RV sink and pump faucet. I incorporated a Coleman 2 burner gas stove into it. There are two laminated cutting boards that pop out like wings. I got carried away, using Formica and everything. I'll have to drag it out, vacuum the thick dust off it, and take photos.

The front drops down, forming a shelf. There's a silverware drawer, and the rest is open. I packed two tanks along... one was a standard blue 5 gallon water jug with a dip tube made from a piece of 1/4'' copper pipe. The other is a collapsible RV gray tank. When washing dishes, I'd heat up water on the stove. I had an RV dish drainer that would sit on a cutting board "wing."

I would set it up on a picnic table, and make gourmet meals from scratch. No kidding... My stew would have fresh chopped veggies. My pots and pans were all cast iron. (One pot and one skillet) They're still in every day use in the motorcoach.

I haven't used it in years as I now "camp" in a 40 foot diesel motorcoach. Well, not always. I usually do a couple of Jeep trips a year, but I'm lazy now, I just pack quick prepackaged crap instead.
    2006, 4.7L, QTII, Toyo Wild Country M/T 265/70R17 tires, Ultrasport 175 wheels, Rocky Road 2.25'' lift kit, HID off-road lighting, Surco 50x60 roof rack, Foxwing awning, Superchips performance programming.

Adondo-I would love to see pic of it. You gave me some ideas......

knappster - The front drop down I use for prep. I was going to use outward opening doors, but
    I want the prep space. I plan on putting a cutting board on the drop down part.

I based the size so I could put it in the Commander lengthwise. Height was based on storage height plus I added the stove.
    I was going to put the stove in the bottom, but I would have had to do pull out drawers in the top, after i already put the
    dividers in. So much for planning.

Neil/superacerc - My deli slicer also doubles as my ER operating table and cook stand. I can do all 3 at once!!

Senior Member Getting Dirty Adondo's Avatar
    I was piddling around the shop last night. It's not as big as I thought, maybe about 18'' square and 3 feet long. One cutting board flips around on top like a lid, the other drops down to one side. I gotta drag it out, vacuum off the black widows, and take photos.

The little camper pump-faucet made it easier to deal with dishes. The sink would be full of hot water & suds, the dishes rinsed under the faucet. After the 5 gal gray tank filled up, a walk out into the woods to dump it somewhere besides making a mud mess next to the campsite.
    2006, 4.7L, QTII, Toyo Wild Country M/T 265/70R17 tires, Ultrasport 175 wheels, Rocky Road 2.25'' lift kit, HID off-road lighting, Surco 50x60 roof rack, Foxwing awning, Superchips performance programming.

Some new pics.....

Thread Information