Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brakes

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty strokeZ's Avatar

Brakes

Has anyone changed their brake pad with other than OEM? Anyone upgrade rotors to slotted while they were at it? I am getting near the point of having to replace at least the pads. I am not sure but would love to get some Cool Carbon pads.
    2012 Jeep JKU Rubicon - 4-1/2" AEV lift w 35" Toyo's

03 BMW Z4 2.5i ESS Stage 2 Supercharged, Custom Suspension, Stebro Exhaust, Hamann Side Skirts

85 BMW 535is Lowering springs, bilstein sport shocks, extra attitude

Senior Member Getting Dirty superacerc's Avatar
    I changed mine a few weeks ago but didnt use anything fancy. Just semi metallic pads and normal rotors.
    2007 Commander 4.7L, QTII, OEM Towing Option, tow hooks, 2"OME + 1/4" rusty's leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shks, Rear sway bar removed, 4xguard front skid, Offroad Unlimited Defender Roof Rack, Hella 500FF lights, 265/70/R17 BFG KM2 M/Ts 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers
    http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...acerc-s-Garage

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    I've changed both front and rear brake pads and rotors twice on the XK. I always go with ceramic pads and premium rotors from Napa. If just the pads are bad, you need to at least get the rotors turned. Most auto parts stores will do them for about $10 a rotor. I havent used slotted rotors yet on the XK but maybe ill try them out next time.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

I'm cheap. That's why I don't go with the ceramic. As for slotted rotors, that's another category of spending altogether. When I took off my front rotors they were warped pretty well so I went to Oreillys to have them turned and they were too thin so I had to get new ones. On the bright side they were cheaper than the rotors for a nissan versa that I had in the past. They were also pretty rusty from playin in the mud. I need to replace/turn if possible my rear rotors now as they are the only thing left on my braking system to replace and starting to develop a slight wobble.

It's interesting how the rear has a drum inside the rotor for the P-Brake.
    2007 Commander 4.7L, QTII, OEM Towing Option, tow hooks, 2"OME + 1/4" rusty's leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shks, Rear sway bar removed, 4xguard front skid, Offroad Unlimited Defender Roof Rack, Hella 500FF lights, 265/70/R17 BFG KM2 M/Ts 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers

I guess I am wondering if the slots in a slotted rotor would get caked w mud. I have never used them for off road vehicles. I have about 35k on the vehicle and expect to have to change brakes in the next 5k. I'll be doing new rotors as well. Going to be a joy to get the wheel spacers off I am sure!

03 BMW Z4 2.5i ESS Stage 2 Supercharged, Custom Suspension, Stebro Exhaust, Hamann Side Skirts

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by strokeZ View Post
    I guess I am wondering if the slots in a slotted rotor would get caked w mud.
    I had never thought of this but that is a real concern, mud gets everywhere.
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

It shouldnt hurt anything to have slotted rotors in the mud. My moto-x bikes have them and stay covered by mud. No problems at all. They are really for heavy high speed or heavy load braking to dissapate heat more efficiently. Im not usually getting my brakes that hot offoad in the mud so it should have no effect on slow speed braking quality and they get washed off before hitting the road again.

Senior Member Getting Dirty 06blkhemi's Avatar
    I used the slotted on my 01 XJ with semi metallic pads. I think their worth the money. Had them on for over a year and never had them warp.. My XJ had 32s BFG KM@ Mudds on it,and i offroaded with it also. It stopped so much better in all conditions. I'll be switching my XK over when it's time for the change...

Frank
    06 Hemi Limited,black,QD2,elsd,loaded minus back up camera,OEM hitch with 7pin harness. RC 2"lift,BFG Rugged Terrains 265x70x17(31.7"),1 3/4" Rugged ridge wheel spacers(front), 4xguard Matrix Pushbar and Grill Hoop,4xguard rockrail/sliders,4xGuard 12 bolt diff guard,6"Hella 500 Black Magic Driving lights.

Senior Member Getting Dirty cico7's Avatar
    I changed my rear brake pads last night. Not too bad. I used a ceramic mix from "Gold" from Advance Auto. They cost about $41 for all 4 rear pads.
    They are right and left specific....The inside pad was worn to the metal. The outer one looked like 50%.

When i had my axel replaced the dealer over torqued the lug nuts on the right wheel and I had a hard time getting the lug nuts off.
    I swear that is why the rotors warp. I torque mine to 100, using the star pattern, and no warping at 62,300 miles.

I torque at 95 ft lbs; star pattern as well. I almost always loosen and re-torque after a service shop has removed and reinstalled the wheels - there are times I have needed a cheater bar to just get the things loose. I think that is why shops are so leary of spacers becuase with their impact wrenches they can literally spin the spacer bolt or severely fatigue it if set too high.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information