Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how many people are running all available skid plates?

how many people are running all available skid plates?

wondering how many people are running all 3 mopar skid plates, the front end and belly skid from 4xguard?

getting all of these would allow me to slide over stuff correct?

anyone know if theres anything out there for the muffler side?

im thinking maybe it would make more sense to make this a project for when i get around to getting a welder in the future?

my biggest concern is the front end. as for everything between the front and rear tires? i would think something like one big solid piece would be best right? maybe, put a few holes for drainage and maybe some kind of mod to be able to change the oil?

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    I have all three Mopar skid plates, the 4xGuard belly plate and a GetLost4x4 front plate. To date I have not seen anything for the muffler.

I don't know that I "slide" over anything but I do know I have protection everywhere for those rocks that get in my way.
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty strokeZ's Avatar
    Skid plates are for protection in the event you have a mis calculation. They are not intended to use as a safety carriage. I do not have the 4Guard plate but do have the Mopar plates. Regardless, I do not take risks thinking the skid plate will protect me.
    2012 Jeep JKU Rubicon - 4-1/2" AEV lift w 35" Toyo's

03 BMW Z4 2.5i ESS Stage 2 Supercharged, Custom Suspension, Stebro Exhaust, Hamann Side Skirts

85 BMW 535is Lowering springs, bilstein sport shocks, extra attitude

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    I don't think one solid piece is the answer but I see where your coming from. The maintenance issues being able to get to everything would be one big issue. Taking something that big off just to change oil or front diff and trans service would be rough. The amount of bends and mounting spots to get all of that to line up would be rough and if you just went low to avoid molding the skid your loosing ground clearance. There are some spots that don't need armor so then the armor is just extra weight. Putting an after market muffler on will help get it out of the way. Now I could see making skids and sliders where the others don't cover like the muffler. I could see you making your own skid plates instead of buying the mopar ones I heard they are thin that might be a the way to go IMO

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    I also have all three Mopar skids and the 4xguard Belly Skid! Love the 4xguard, the Mopars are pretty much destroyed because they are paper thin. I'll probablly replace those this winter. For the muffler just upgrade to a Flowmaster. There so thick they act as their own skid plate!
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty pjmjr508's Avatar
    I have all the factory skids & also the belly plate from 4x. So far they work great & no issues. I do plan on replacing the muffler with a flowmaster & that will take care of that area because of how thick they are. I do agree with what Stroker said, they are there to protect if needed but don't rely on them and do the crazy stuff like (Stab & steer type of wheeling) you will break everything like that, so I enjoy myself on the trails but also try to watch my lines the best I can.
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 1USMC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by my4thjeep View Post
    ... running all 3 mopar skid plates, the front end and belly skid from 4xguard?
    I'm also using the above along with a Flowmaster muffler... So far so good.....
    2010 Limited > 5.7 > Pearl Black > QDII > 4"¯ Superlift w-SSR > Bilstein HD Struts + 1/4" spacer > RCV cv Axles > JBA 6" Springs + Matt's 1/2" Spacer > BDS adj LCA > 285-65-18 Nitto Trail Grappler MT's > Moto Metal 951 > K&N CAI > Flowmaster 50 > 4xGuard-Front/Belly skids + Grill Hoop w/ Front Receiver + Rear Diff. Guard > PIIA 520 ATP > Front Camera > Steel Armadillo's Rear Bumper/Tire/ Blitz Carrier/Super Sliders +Secure Console > Dual Batteries > OBA > JKS Rear-JBA Front Discos > FlashPaq

I have the 4XGuard front skid and belly guard installed. The suspension skid and TC skid are in my garage just waiting on the fuel tank skid to come in. From what I can see using these 5 skids has you completely covered from approach to departure the rear guard would complete this for sure. Add the rock slides and you should be ok for that oh crap moment. You might be able to get some stuff made cheaper but the 4xguard stuff that's visible looks good as well. Also with unibody bolting and welding stuff on has it's challenges.

Senior Member Getting Dirty Chapman89's Avatar
    For now I only have the suspension skid installed, it really hasn't taken any "hits" just scrapes from rocks. However the factory plastic fuel tank skid has a nice dent and is covered in scratches from crossing an old creek bed.

Sal, let me know when you get your fuel tank skid. I'd be willing to drive to your place to help with the install. My fuel tank skid/t-case are also sitting in the garage. I don't have the tools to get the job done at my townhouse near school. Raeford is only a 2 hour trip for me. We could possibly hit up some of your spots if time allowed for it.
    Current: 2013 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 Speed

Traded: 2006 XK Limited 5.7 QD-2

Nick, no problem bro when mine comes in you're more then welcome to come over and we can install both of them. If you want man let me know and you can stop by anytime and we could put your skids on when ever or if mine don't get here in time we will just do yours. Anytime you need to wrench on your XK bro my garage is open just let me know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information