Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Octane do you use?

Senior Member Getting Dirty cico7's Avatar
    Higher Octane will not improve your MPG all by itself. However, E85 is not the same as using lower octane because it
    does get less MPG and HP.

I have used E85 a couple times, you get less mileage and less power, and you pay less. But it works out about the
    same as far as costs go. Spend less but more often.

I think E85 is a waste of resources. No corn is going to waste so we can't say it only uses excess corn etc.

I believe we do need to experiment with it and other possibilities. Maybe one day they will find a way to make fuel cost
    less and get better MPG. That will be the day after pigs make regular flights from Toledo to Cincinnati unless the Fed
    finds a way to replace lost tax revenues and oil companies don't loose thier axx.

Can we use hydrogen?

I use 87 most of the time. Once in a while I use higher octane.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Most people do not realize how big the corn industry really is. They put corn in almost everything we consume now. From the cow that is force fed corn feed to the drinks that has corn syrup in it. Do to governmental intervention in the 50's we now grow way more corn then we need or can export. There are tons and tons of corn that sit after harvest. There is a great documentary on Net Flix about this I encourage you to take a look at it. In fact if you have net flix you should visit the documentary section and check them out like beer wars and the walmart one it can really open your eyes.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty strokeZ's Avatar
    we could always make more sour mash whiskey...... just a thought.
    2012 Jeep JKU Rubicon - 4-1/2" AEV lift w 35" Toyo's

03 BMW Z4 2.5i ESS Stage 2 Supercharged, Custom Suspension, Stebro Exhaust, Hamann Side Skirts

85 BMW 535is Lowering springs, bilstein sport shocks, extra attitude

Quote Originally Posted by strokeZ View Post
    we could always make more sour mash whiskey...... just a thought.
    Hmmm, I'd like to try some of that...

Anyway, experiment went bad when I had to take several unexpected trips across the Valley...I was gonna get a pic of my odometer and fuel guage at 1 week (exactly half full, or half empty if you are the negative type) but that also went to crap as my memory card was full...

The octane rating of gasoline relates to how difficult it is to "set it off", in a controlled manner, in your cylinder... The higher the number, the harder it is to "set off". If the compression in your engine is high, the likelihood of a premature ignition rises (it ignites on compression as opposed to the spark plug igniting it) and a higher octaned fuel should be used to prevent this pre-ignition combustion of the air/gas mixture (knocking). Octane does nothing for mileage...it just makes it (the gas) harder to ignite. The best gas to use, would be the lowest octane number that you can use that doesn't pre-ignite on compression (engine knock). I had to run high octane in 66 Chevelle, but, I was running 11.7 to 1 compression (milled and ported heads on a bored and balanced block). On my Hemi Commander, I use 87 octane. I've used 89 and 91 when towing as an experiment, even though I wasn't getting ignition knock on 87 and found absolutely no difference in performance or mileage, even when towing 6000 lbs through the Rockies. I use 87 now, all the time. Until I start getting pre-ignition, I find no reason to pay the "toll" for higher octane (anti-knock) gasoline.
    Webslave

2008 Hemi Commander 4X4 Limited
    Airaid CAI, Magnaflow CAT Back

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information