Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any Hunters?

Senior Member Getting Dirty ped4599's Avatar

Any Hunters?

Deer season is ONE WEEK away here in NE.
    Couldnt find a hunting thread here so i made one, which is a take off from the other place where i started this thread a long time ago. I have a feeling though that the crowd here is more likely to share these types of hobby rather than start tossing out the insults.
    I will be out this year with my 2010 Limited HEMI, for its first hunting trip. My 3.7 sport always did a wonderful job, so i have no doubt the this one will be great, especially since i have a lot more mods than the other jeep. The winch and mud tires will be an added bonus since i will be mile from any other person, by my self camping with only my rifles and Hemi for company, and the weather its supposed to be kind of bad so it may take all the items in my bag O'tricks, if it gets super muddy AFTER, im way back in the middle of nowhere with my camper.

Here is a look at my trip last year. I will be trying a new area this year and I hope its a beautiful as this was.

2010 Black LIMITED HEMI, Quadra DRIVE II, 2.25 inch RR lift, Off road tires (in garage) MAXXIS 265/70-17 on RUBI rims, 1.5 inch Spydertrax spacers, 4xguard: EVERYTHING I CAN GET MY HANDS ON! ROLA roof rack, RUGGED RIDGE 8500 synthetic winch, and a car seat with a CUTE backseat driver.

Im guessing that there are other hunters here in the forum. Around here in the midwest, where I spend most of my time the weather is cooling off and the Fall temps are settling in......this weather always gives me the "hunting bug."
    Im itching to start gearing up for deer hunting, even though its over a month away for the the season that I will be doing.
    Just wondering if anyone else here hunts.....and if so.....Do you use your commander to hunt....

I used mine for all my hunting...Most hunters have pickups and wouldn't believe that I can get along very well with my commander.....probably Better than a pickup since I have a hitchhaul that I use to carry the game which keeps the inside clean and I have All kinds of other gear that allows my commander to transform into a full mobile hunting station.

here is a photo of the hitchhaul in action.

2010 Black LIMITED HEMI, Quadra DRIVE II, 2.25 inch RR lift, Off road tires (in garage) MAXXIS 265/70-17 on RUBI rims, 1.5 inch Spydertrax spacers, 4xguard: EVERYTHING I CAN GET MY HANDS ON! ROLA roof rack, RUGGED RIDGE 8500 synthetic winch, and a car seat with a CUTE backseat driver.

I also have a game hoist that I used to hang up larger game such as the buck in the photo above. This hitch hoist works awesome for lots of stuff, depending on the situation.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...053&hasJS=true

Member Looking for Dirt
    I'm not a hunter. I think I'm the only one in my family who is not. I have went a few times. It is just not my thing. That looks like a beautiful place to go hunting or just camping. That is a nice looking buck on your hitch haul. My brother-in-law is an avid hunter and taxidermist. He always has some serious deer mounts to do after the season ends. Good luck out there, to you and all the other hunters on here .
    - Keith -

07' RedRock Crystal Sport XK, 4.7 Flex, QDII, leather, power liftgate, remote start, moonroof, skylights, power pedals and seats, Boston Accoustics, 20% tint, Mopar skid plates, splash guards and slush guards, 2" RC lift, SpiderTrax, Kelly TSR 265/70/17 .

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    I went hunting with a friend once and ten minutes into the hunt he feel and broke his site. So much for that trip!
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Senior Member Getting Dirty NeilSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I went with my dad a few times as a pre - teen / teenager but not since. Its not my thing. Too early and too cold. I do love to go out waste ammo though. I almost hit a buck at about 75mph 30 minutes ago. Lets just say it was VERY close to my Altima's left front.
    '07 Commander 3.7 V6
    2" Rough Country Lift with Vision Warriors and Goodyear Duratracs 245/75R17
    BajaRack Mega-Mule with KC Daylighters
    http://s624.photobucket.com/albums/t...cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty WanderingTs's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    First of all, nice photos. Not that I am suprised after seeing your Camp Commander stuff.

I am very much a hunter. That was the primary purpose for buying my XK. I needed a hunting vehicle that would take the beating, and hold car seats.

Deer season is over here in CA. Spent two weeks hunting as normal, got a very nice 2X3 muley/blacktail mix. Do you use your Commander to skin the deer? This year I put a new twist on it and used the winch for pulling instead of just moving the Jeep. Worked very well.

It is quail season now. The country I go quail hunting in is very rugged and beats the you know what out of most vehicles. I broke the frame cross member on my S-10 twice wheeling in this area. The XK is a god send. It doesnt even blink when going through the worst of the areas. Having a Jeep instead of truck is night and day.

I am just getting internet installed at the house (which means I can post photos/etc. - blocked from doing that at work.) I will try and post some pics soon.
    Last edited by WanderingTs; 11-06-2010 at 07:09 PM.
    The best things in life can not be found on a map; they can only be found while Wandering.
    __________________________________________________ ___

2007 XK - 4.7L Flex Fuel // Rocky Road 2.25 lift // Rocky Road Super Sliders // Toyo Open Country 265/70R17 tires // 4xGuard Front Guard // 4xGuard Belly Guard // 4xGuard Matrix-HC with optional front hitch // Warn XD9000I hitch mounted winch // Graco Carseat for the Youngun

http://www.xk-forum.com/blog.php - The Wild(life) Side of Jeeping

you and I are in the same boat for getting the XK. I need something that is my hunting truck when it needs to be, but a family car the rest of the time. I pick up just wouldnt fit that profile.

I have used vehicle for skining and have used a winch before too, but i usualy just use a knife anymore, it seems to go very quickly if the knife is sharp.

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    I have never hunted, which is odd with the amount of firepower at my disposal.

I think I should do it so I can find out first hand what it is all about; and learn how should I ever need to in the future. The problem is I don't like killing things. I have shot animals before - a bird with a .22 just to see if I could and a skunk with my .45 - that one was self-defense! I felt bad about killing either one, and don't like the thought of killing animals in general (though I would never tell someone else they shouldn't do it...), but I do LOVE meat.

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    Funny, I kept looking for my recent post and wondered what happened to it. Until I realized I posted on the "other" forum. Anyway, like your hitch haul and the area that you hunt in.
    2007 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi, QDII, Rusty's 2" lift, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, GetLost4x4's front hitch mount for portable winch.GY Duratracs 265/70R17s, Rola Roof Rack.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information