Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any Hunters?

Senior Member Getting Dirty superacerc's Avatar
    I'm not a big hunter by any means but do enjoy it. I've killed my share of squirrels, doves, pheasant, but only 1 deer. Looks like a beautiful place you've been hunting. I'd love to be out there whether hunting or not.
    2007 Commander 4.7L, QTII, OEM Towing Option, tow hooks, 2"OME + 1/4" rusty's leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shks, Rear sway bar removed, 4xguard front skid, Offroad Unlimited Defender Roof Rack, Hella 500FF lights, 265/70/R17 BFG KM2 M/Ts 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers
    http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...acerc-s-Garage

Senior Member Getting Dirty NeilSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    This thread has me maybe wanting to go hunting this season ! I have a new Rem 700 .308 just waiting to be sighted in. Also have an Ithaca LSA-55 in .257 Roberts that is an absolute tackdriver. Id like to get out and see what I could do. If I could only convince my wife and daughter ( she wants to be a vet when she grows up ).
    '07 Commander 3.7 V6
    2" Rough Country Lift with Vision Warriors and Goodyear Duratracs 245/75R17
    BajaRack Mega-Mule with KC Daylighters
    http://s624.photobucket.com/albums/t...cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Tymac's Avatar
    I can't remember a time that I haven't hunted. This year my brother and I started planning an Elk hunting trip to Colorado for my Dad in 2011. He's a healthy and active 72 year old that has never hunted big country so we knew our time is running short before he can't. I was blessed to have a father that shared his love of the outdoors. Fishing, hunting and camping were regular activities growing up.

Deer, ducks, squirrel, rabbit, grouse and coyote to name a few. We stay sharp in the summer by hunting groundhogs aka woodchucks.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    I wish I had gone hunting growing up, no hunters in my family but I would go someday if someone asked.

It would give me a reason to buy another gun too.

Just bought a Benelli semi-automatic shotgun this week.
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Only scared little beaches own guns. I don't see how people can murder innocent animals, I know I won't kill Bambi.

Those were things I have been told by people not man enough to hunt. Granted I don't really hunt because it is so expensive to do so in WA State. Probably cheaper to just buy a freaking cow. I must say that Cougar is probably the best meat out there. I like eating meat from animals that eat meat.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    In AZ for fun you can go look for Coyote:

Coyotes are Arizona’s most common predator and found throughout the entire state. Though not always seen, their vocalizations consisting of howls, yelps, and barks are regularly heard during almost any night spent in the field. The animal's pointed ears, narrow nose, reddish brown to blond coat, and black or white tipped tail, help differentiate coyotes from dogs and wolves. The head and body length of coyotes is about 2 ½ to 3 feet with the tail adding another foot or so. Adult males are larger than females, the two sexes averaging about 21 and 17 ½ pounds, respectively. A very large male may attain a weight of 35 pounds. Contrary to popular belief, coyotes do not readily interbreed with either dogs or wolves.

Natural History
    Coyotes are opportunists, feeding mainly on small mammals, but also on carrion, bird eggs, and vegetable matter such as acorns, mesquite and palo verde beans, and juniper and manzanita berries. They also prey on pronghorn and deer fawns, and insects when such items are available. In urban areas, garbage, domestic cats, and small dogs are sometimes taken.

Coyotes form strong pair bonds, usually breeding between mid-January and March 15. After a two-month gestation period, from one to several young are born in a den or burrow; the average litter size being about five pups. They leave the den when about 8 to 10 weeks old.

Hunting and Trapping History
    The take of coyotes by hunters has been relatively stable during the past 10 years, about 13,000 hunters taking an average of between 30,000 and 40,000 coyotes a year. Most of these animals are taken while "varmint calling," while hunting other game, or simply as opportunities arise. Formerly, trappers rivaled sport hunters in the number of coyotes taken, but the reported take of trapped coyotes during the past 10 years has averaged approximately 700 a year. The principal reason for this reduced take is undoubtedly is the decline in market value of a coyote pelt as well as the prohibition of the use of foothold traps on public land.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty WanderingTs's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I am always amazed at the lack of logic from people who don't hunt. They think they bear no responsibility for the death of an animal even thought they eat meat, use animal by products, or otherwise benefit. I had a neighbor growing up who couldn't believe we would go deer hunt, yet she anxiously awaited our return from trout fishing so she could eat some of the catch. Somehow to her, shooting a deer was not ok, but putting a hook in a fish's mouth and yanking it out of the water was.

I would so much rather know where my meat came from, do the work myself, and take responsibility. That is generally my lifestyle though, why pay someone to do what I can do myself?
    The best things in life can not be found on a map; they can only be found while Wandering.
    __________________________________________________ ___

2007 XK - 4.7L Flex Fuel // Rocky Road 2.25 lift // Rocky Road Super Sliders // Toyo Open Country 265/70R17 tires // 4xGuard Front Guard // 4xGuard Belly Guard // 4xGuard Matrix-HC with optional front hitch // Warn XD9000I hitch mounted winch // Graco Carseat for the Youngun

http://www.xk-forum.com/blog.php - The Wild(life) Side of Jeeping

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Tymac's Avatar
    When my wife and I built our new home in 2004 it was in a developement with other young familes. The model home sold next to us the following summer. The new owners lasted until the 2nd day of deer season when I came home and hoisted my deer until I got to the butcher the next day. The day after the guy across the street got one and a guy in the corner house got another. Within weeks that house was for sale. BTW, the new neighbors are glad because they love the venison stew I make. The new hit is my buffelhead dippers.

Some have said I just kill for sport, but I don't view providing for my family as a sport. As far as judging me for my decision to hunt, well I only have to answer to God and I know he will be just.

Lake in southern Ohio that starting with my dad we've hunted for almost 50 years. It's called Clendening Lake.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty WanderingTs's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    As I look at the photos in this thread and others, I am truely in awe of what a great and beautiful country we live in.
    The best things in life can not be found on a map; they can only be found while Wandering.
    __________________________________________________ ___

2007 XK - 4.7L Flex Fuel // Rocky Road 2.25 lift // Rocky Road Super Sliders // Toyo Open Country 265/70R17 tires // 4xGuard Front Guard // 4xGuard Belly Guard // 4xGuard Matrix-HC with optional front hitch // Warn XD9000I hitch mounted winch // Graco Carseat for the Youngun

http://www.xk-forum.com/blog.php - The Wild(life) Side of Jeeping

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information