Thread: Driving Lights ?

Senior Member Getting Dirty 06blkhemi's Avatar

Driving Lights ?

Hey guys,
    I installed a set of Hella 500 Blackmagic driving lights. Where are you guys that added extra lights hooking up to in the fuse box ? I'm running right from the battery to the Relay and to the neg.to the battery. It's in the interior that I'm not sure where to hook the on/off switch too? Any suggestions ?

Thanks,
    Frank
    06 Hemi Limited,black,QD2,elsd,loaded minus back up camera,OEM hitch with 7pin harness. RC 2"lift,BFG Rugged Terrains 265x70x17(31.7"),1 3/4" Rugged ridge wheel spacers(front), 4xguard Matrix Pushbar and Grill Hoop,4xguard rockrail/sliders,4xGuard 12 bolt diff guard,6"Hella 500 Black Magic Driving lights.

i put a couple switches in that little cubby hole on the left.

Member Looking for Dirt El Comandante's Avatar
    Have you tried that lower middle fuse I suggested? I think that's the best one because it'll shut off your lights when you turn off the ignition. Unless you want them on even with the XK is not running then I would suggest looking for a constant power line.
    - Oscar aka LuvMyCommander
    2008 Commander 3.7L V6
    Mods: OEM tow hitch, OEM 7 pin tow wiring, OEM fog lights, daytime running lamps enabled, 4xGuard Matrix Guard w/grill hoop kit, RC 2" lift kit, K&N drop-in filter, PIAA 510 ATP aux lights

Posted this in the Matrix Pushbar thread as well but again I'd use the switch as a ground activation vice a 12V activation for the relay. Much easier to do and no splicing required. Splice the 2 hots on the relay together to save on running another wire (stuff 2 wires pigtailed together into a crimp connector to make the jumper). Good luck on the install.
    Old: 2006 Base, 4.7L, QT-II
    New: 2010 Sport, 5.7L, QT-II, Front Tow Hooks, Tow Package and 7 pin Mopar Harness ( Spliced 4 pin into harness), Mopar Skid Plates

Quote Originally Posted by El Comandante View Post
    Have you tried that lower middle fuse I suggested? I think that's the best one because it'll shut off your lights when you turn off the ignition. Unless you want them on even with the XK is not running then I would suggest looking for a constant power line.
    Was that the middle fuse from fuse box in the interior on the DS ? I flipped down the cover but they don't say which fuse is which. I don't want the light to be on without the ignition being on..

Thanks..Frank
    06 Hemi Limited,black,QD2,elsd,loaded minus back up camera,OEM hitch with 7pin harness. RC 2"lift,BFG Rugged Terrains 265x70x17(31.7"),1 3/4" Rugged ridge wheel spacers(front), 4xguard Matrix Pushbar and Grill Hoop,4xguard rockrail/sliders,4xGuard 12 bolt diff guard,6"Hella 500 Black Magic Driving lights.

Thanks everyone for your input ! I ended up finding a fuse in the interior fusebox thats off with the ignition. I used a "add a fuse" from autozone and tapped into it. Worked great !
    The lights were working great until the light in the switch stopped working,so I figured I would take it apart see if I could change out the bulb,then the whole switch fell apart !!
    Back to autozone for a new one tomorrow !!

Posted these in the Matrix thread but here's some pics of my Hella's.

First pic,just Hella's,second,stock driving&Hella's,third, everything on!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo0095lights.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	51.6 KB 
ID:	350Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo0094lights.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	351Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo0093lights.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	352

In my KJ I had the green wire going to something switched ignition on. Radio, I think. Just get one of those add-a-fuse things from AutoZone and you don't have to splice.

This is with all of my lights on, including MOPAR Lightbar.

Same picture with a much faster shutter speed.

Thread Information