I worked in broadcast TV for almost 10 years. During that time, I logged hundreds of hours in a news copter of a network affiliate. Generally, news helicopters fly at 500 feet. This is due to VFR and FAA regulation. It is not always the case, but generally. One thing that does modify that altitude is other air traffic or heavy air traffic areas, and LA would be a high traffic area.

A talented (or sometimes untalented) photographer can make anything look like almost anything else, either on purpose, or sometimes by accident. Without getting too deep into things I am several years removed from and may not get the terminology right anymore, a combination of lens angle, light angle, filters, amount of zoom, and even the camera head itself can make a huge difference in the way things look. While it is slightly more difficult to play tricks during the day, it is not impossible. Just the odd angle of looking at something very ordinary can make it look mishapen or even longer, taller, or skinnier.

All that being said, it was SOMETHING. I also agree that the single engine jet thing is a load of hogwash. My only point is while the government may have an interest in covering things up, the media also has an interest in blowing things up (bad pun intended). Don't trust either side to tell you the truth about what they are selling.