Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Unexplained Missile Launched Off LA

Quote Originally Posted by Knappster View Post
    My guess is it was from a sub!
    Yup, probably hit the button by mistake, although I believe there are several safeguards for that...

Junior Member Looking for Dirt adamag25's Avatar
    I agree that it was most likely from a sub or large ship. Probably a test fire of a missile that went wrong and instead of heading out over the ocean it went toward land. If the government admits to the error they would get in trouble for the error and putting lives at stake but they cannot blame an non Government agency because that means that homeland security should have picked up on it. Since they are stuck in the middle they chose to go with the old "ummm...I dunno" response. I find it hard to believe that they do not know the source or even where the missile ended up. Something that large doesn't go flying into the sky and just disappear, it had to have been tracked by someone.
    06 4.7 Bright Silver
    HILLBILLY DELUXE

Senior Member Getting Dirty cico7's Avatar
    (CBS) More than a day after a CBS camera caught video of an unidentified projectile leaving a condensation trail off the California coast, the situation remains a mystery, with the Defense Department insisting that it was not a missile.

The Pentagon is still not sure what that was in the sky off the coast of California -- except that it was not a missile fired by the U.S. or some other country, reports CBS News Pentagon correspondent David Martin.

The video of what looks for all the world like the contrail of a missile was shot Monday evening by KCBS cameraman Gil Leyvas from a news helicopter over Los Angeles.

"I saw a big plume coming up, rising from looked like beyond the horizon and it continued to grow," Leyvas said.

He zoomed his camera in and stayed on it for about 10 minutes. To him it looked like an incoming missile.

"It was unique. It was moving," he said. "It was growing in the sky."

It wasn't a missle...
    Last edited by cico7; 11-10-2010 at 07:43 AM.

Now the news reports are claiming that maybe it was just a jet taking off.... from the video that would be a pretty steep departure angle...

Senior Member Getting Dirty NeilSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Ive seen airliners in the far distance that because of their route looked like they were going straight up but the contrails look nothing like this one. Ive not seen a contrail this long and looks so low to the ground. Besides , where in the hell would he be taking off from ?
    '07 Commander 3.7 V6
    2" Rough Country Lift with Vision Warriors and Goodyear Duratracs 245/75R17
    BajaRack Mega-Mule with KC Daylighters
    http://s624.photobucket.com/albums/t...cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

Senior Member Getting Dirty Adondo's Avatar
    I was just looking at the video again.

Okay, we can rule out airplane, or at least a large multi-engine 'plane. If you can see the source, (e.g. the speck of the airplane itself) the contrails are split. They do merge together behind it a ways as the vapor trail widens out. If the 'plane is a four engine, you can see four trails if it's close enough or you use binoculars. (two sets of two closed spaced trails)

But, the one in the video just leaves one single big fat contrail behind it. I can't see even a military aircraft such as an F14 (or whatever, something with a single source tail nozzle, single or dual engines) leaving THAT LARGE of a trail behind it. The thing was large, very much like the satellite launching rocket they compared it too.
    2006, 4.7L, QTII, Toyo Wild Country M/T 265/70R17 tires, Ultrasport 175 wheels, Rocky Road 2.25'' lift kit, HID off-road lighting, Surco 50x60 roof rack, Foxwing awning, Superchips performance programming.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Jet engines don't leave contrails until they hit the super cold air of the atmosphere. Exhaust contrails usually occur at above 26,000 feet. where the temperature is below -40°F. So to cause a contrail like that from the surface speaks to the type of fuel being burned. Most likely a solid fuel (rocket Fuel) is being burned and no known air craft burns solid fuel in that way.

Now the other thing that confuses me is the speed at which the object seems to be moving. It is not moving fast enough or on the correct trajectory for leaving the atmosphere and entering space. It also way to big for a amateur rocket builder and also on the wrong trajectory that is normally associated with that hobby.

Member Looking for Dirt El Comandante's Avatar
    There is speculation that it was a US missile launched from a submarine in an attempt to demonstrate our capabilities while President Obama visited Asia. Kinda like saying don't even think about doing anything while I'm here because you'll find out how far our missiles can reach.
    - Oscar aka LuvMyCommander
    2008 Commander 3.7L V6
    Mods: OEM tow hitch, OEM 7 pin tow wiring, OEM fog lights, daytime running lamps enabled, 4xGuard Matrix Guard w/grill hoop kit, RC 2" lift kit, K&N drop-in filter, PIAA 510 ATP aux lights

Senior Member Getting Dirty Adondo's Avatar
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40112161...news-security/

I feel all better now, don't you?
    2006, 4.7L, QTII, Toyo Wild Country M/T 265/70R17 tires, Ultrasport 175 wheels, Rocky Road 2.25'' lift kit, HID off-road lighting, Surco 50x60 roof rack, Foxwing awning, Superchips performance programming.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information