Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Back to Moab

Junior Member Looking for Dirt kmax's Avatar

Back to Moab

We took advantage of the incredible weather and spent the weekend in Moab running on Hell's Revenge (always a favorite) and Moab Rim.

My brother climbing a step, my boss' GC in the background

My XK up the same area - slightly different line for the clearance impaired

The XK out of Car Wash

The new 285's are so much more becoming

Now on to Moab Rim - my boss in his ZJ climbing up Devils Crack

My XK coming up Z-Turn

Headed to the top of Moab Rim

My brother blew up his PS front axle. Thankfully, we had a spare and the tools to fix it. One hour, four hamburgers and a couple of beers later, we were back in business.

Me back down Z-Turn

My brother and his new axle stepping off Devils Crack

Other than that, no breakage. Two days goes fast in Moab, can't wait for May!
    Ken
    Colorado
    '06 Ltd, 5.7, QDII, 4" Superlift SSR + Deaver front coils, GL4x4 bumper, Smittybilt XRC10/synthetic rope, Flowmaster 50, aFe intake, 4xG rock rails, Rola rack, stupid little CB, 1.5" spacers and 285/70-17 KM2's on Moab's. Sold.

Senior Member Getting Dirty superacerc's Avatar
    Absolutely Beautiful! Thanks for the pics. Me and the XK dream of heading to moab one day.
    2007 Commander 4.7L, QTII, OEM Towing Option, tow hooks, 2"OME + 1/4" rusty's leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shks, Rear sway bar removed, 4xguard front skid, Offroad Unlimited Defender Roof Rack, Hella 500FF lights, 265/70/R17 BFG KM2 M/Ts 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers
    http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...acerc-s-Garage

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty strokeZ's Avatar
    ahhhh don't you just love a good XK in the morning!!!! Great photos!
    2012 Jeep JKU Rubicon - 4-1/2" AEV lift w 35" Toyo's

03 BMW Z4 2.5i ESS Stage 2 Supercharged, Custom Suspension, Stebro Exhaust, Hamann Side Skirts

85 BMW 535is Lowering springs, bilstein sport shocks, extra attitude

A curious thing about those new tires...

I bought a heat gun and some plastic rivets to pull the front fender liners out and I intended to bend the pinch weld over, reshape the liners, etc. I noticed right away I had no rubbing on the street and figured when I got to Moab, I'd spend the evening doing that whole process, because surely once it started flexing around, there would be problems. I decided to wait and see how bad the rubbing was. After running Hell's Revenge and including Tip-Over-Challenge, I have very minor rubbing in front, just enough to rub off the mud, really. The rear is my problem. The crunched tire radiuses forward enough that on both sides, the tires popped the rivets out of the door-mounted fender flare sections and popped the ends of the plastic rocker cover off. Not at all what I expected and not sure I'll do anything about it. Though eventually I may ditch the rear SL setup and go with the BDS adjustable control arms mounted in the stock locations.
    Ken
    Colorado
    '06 Ltd, 5.7, QDII, 4" Superlift SSR + Deaver front coils, GL4x4 bumper, Smittybilt XRC10/synthetic rope, Flowmaster 50, aFe intake, 4xG rock rails, Rola rack, stupid little CB, 1.5" spacers and 285/70-17 KM2's on Moab's. Sold.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    I would love to go run those trails someday.
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    awesome pics man that looks like a great time.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty El Cid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kmax View Post
    The rear is my problem. The crunched tire radiuses forward enough that on both sides, the tires popped the rivets out of the door-mounted fender flare sections and popped the ends of the plastic rocker cover off. Not at all what I expected and not sure I'll do anything about it. Though eventually I may ditch the rear SL setup and go with the BDS adjustable control arms mounted in the stock locations.
    Or perhaps a setup like mine will be available soon, that combines the SL with a BDS-style control arm structure in the rear.
    Mike
    2006 5.7L Limited, Inferno Red, QDII, and all goodies. Modified Superlift 4" lift-kit, B.F.G. 285/70R17 A/Ts (1.25" spacers), Aries tail-light guards, AVS ventvisors, KC Hilites off-road lights, and from 4xGuard: Belly Guard, Front Guard 4, Matrix brush guard with Receiver and Grill Hoop, Rear Diff Guard, Rear Guard 2, Rear Sliders, and Side Guards.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty strokeZ's Avatar
    Ok I have to ask this....do you think your issue with the tires is due to the lift or due to your wheel set up? Reason I ask is becuase I have been talking a lot to AEV and they swear up and down that their Pintler wheels will have no issues whatsoever with the 285's. They use 17x8.5 rims with 25 mm offset (~5.3" backspacing), which for the life of me I cannot find in any other wheel that will fit our rigs. I remember reading Mikes writeup on the lift comparisons and this issue was very clear on the rear control arms.
    2012 Jeep JKU Rubicon - 4-1/2" AEV lift w 35" Toyo's

03 BMW Z4 2.5i ESS Stage 2 Supercharged, Custom Suspension, Stebro Exhaust, Hamann Side Skirts

85 BMW 535is Lowering springs, bilstein sport shocks, extra attitude

The issue with the rear tires rubbing is definitely with the lift. The rear control arms are only slightly downward from the mount to the axle when the Jeep is in a flat, static position. When the compressed side of the axle moves upward, it almost immediately starts also moving forward from the short radius of the control arms. Another problem (in my opinion) with the design of the SL kit is the relatively large rear lower control arm brackets. They hang me up on any ledge larger than about 13 inches. The passenger side bracket is beat silly, I probably should take it off and straighten it out. The BDS setup (and I'm guessing the method of setup Mike is talking about) would alleviate both of these 'issues'.

I'm running (as I'm sure you see in the pics) Rubicon Moab rims with 1.5" spacers. This is probably very similar to AEV's specs when using the Pintler wheel which of course doesn't require spacers. The rubbing in the rear could also be caused by the difference in some tires even when listed as 285/70's - the KM2's seem to have relatively deep tread blocks. They had 400 miles on them when I went to Moab, they probably won't rub at all after 20K.
    Last edited by kmax; 11-12-2010 at 03:06 PM.
    Ken
    Colorado

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty El Cid's Avatar
    Sounds familiar indeed! This is the issue that Ross of GetLost fame accused me of lying about on the other forum: the current Superlift design forces the tire to radius forward in the well far too quickly, limiting wheel travel and causing rubbing problems and the associated damage. (This isn't, as I've discussed elsewhere, as big a problem as the full so-called 4" BDS kit had, however, but those kits are no longer available.)

And, yes, this problem is exactly the one my modified kit is meant to alleviate, while also getting rid of those related brackets. I hope that a kit with the design I have hits the market soon.

Utilizing the old BDS adjustable arms -- so long as they're the "bent" ones -- is a sensible solution in the meantime. I had one of my BDS arms fail, but my experience with BDS's manufacturing quality would indicate that this was an exception rather than a rule.
    Mike
    2006 5.7L Limited, Inferno Red, QDII, and all goodies. Modified Superlift 4" lift-kit, B.F.G. 285/70R17 A/Ts (1.25" spacers), Aries tail-light guards, AVS ventvisors, KC Hilites off-road lights, and from 4xGuard: Belly Guard, Front Guard 4, Matrix brush guard with Receiver and Grill Hoop, Rear Diff Guard, Rear Guard 2, Rear Sliders, and Side Guards.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information