Thread: Back to Moab

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Lifetime Member Getting Dirty El Cid's Avatar
    Sounds familiar indeed! This is the issue that Ross of GetLost fame accused me of lying about on the other forum: the current Superlift design forces the tire to radius forward in the well far too quickly, limiting wheel travel and causing rubbing problems and the associated damage. (This isn't, as I've discussed elsewhere, as big a problem as the full so-called 4" BDS kit had, however, but those kits are no longer available.)

And, yes, this problem is exactly the one my modified kit is meant to alleviate, while also getting rid of those related brackets. I hope that a kit with the design I have hits the market soon.

Utilizing the old BDS adjustable arms -- so long as they're the "bent" ones -- is a sensible solution in the meantime. I had one of my BDS arms fail, but my experience with BDS's manufacturing quality would indicate that this was an exception rather than a rule.
    Mike
    2006 5.7L Limited, Inferno Red, QDII, and all goodies. Modified Superlift 4" lift-kit, B.F.G. 285/70R17 A/Ts (1.25" spacers), Aries tail-light guards, AVS ventvisors, KC Hilites off-road lights, and from 4xGuard: Belly Guard, Front Guard 4, Matrix brush guard with Receiver and Grill Hoop, Rear Diff Guard, Rear Guard 2, Rear Sliders, and Side Guards.

Junior Member Looking for Dirt kmax's Avatar
    Good to know, Mike. I have new BDS lower control arms still in the box, but I've been hesitant to install them until I can eliminate the upper control arm brackets as well. I haven't looked for BDS adjustable uppers yet, but I guess that's the next step unless your kit comes out soon...
    Ken
    Colorado
    '06 Ltd, 5.7, QDII, 4" Superlift SSR + Deaver front coils, GL4x4 bumper, Smittybilt XRC10/synthetic rope, Flowmaster 50, aFe intake, 4xG rock rails, Rola rack, stupid little CB, 1.5" spacers and 285/70-17 KM2's on Moab's. Sold.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty strokeZ's Avatar
    I assume you did not have this issue when running the 255's? Might be a good choice to forego the extra 0.5" ground clearance and wait till Mike can give us a solution :-)

What do you think would have happened if you were running rock sliders? Do you think that type of rubbing (on the plastic rockers) would have given you major issues if you had a slider installed?
    2012 Jeep JKU Rubicon - 4-1/2" AEV lift w 35" Toyo's

03 BMW Z4 2.5i ESS Stage 2 Supercharged, Custom Suspension, Stebro Exhaust, Hamann Side Skirts

85 BMW 535is Lowering springs, bilstein sport shocks, extra attitude

Just to be clear: 4xGuard has no plans to manufacture the solution. I'm just testing the modified kit for the manufacturer and pressing them every chance I get to make it a reality.
    Mike
    2006 5.7L Limited, Inferno Red, QDII, and all goodies. Modified Superlift 4" lift-kit, B.F.G. 285/70R17 A/Ts (1.25" spacers), Aries tail-light guards, AVS ventvisors, KC Hilites off-road lights, and from 4xGuard: Belly Guard, Front Guard 4, Matrix brush guard with Receiver and Grill Hoop, Rear Diff Guard, Rear Guard 2, Rear Sliders, and Side Guards.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty strokeZ's Avatar
    Thanks for clarifying Mike. Perhaps we can get a few people to chime in if we feel like its an issue to be addressed and give you some momentum???
    2012 Jeep JKU Rubicon - 4-1/2" AEV lift w 35" Toyo's

03 BMW Z4 2.5i ESS Stage 2 Supercharged, Custom Suspension, Stebro Exhaust, Hamann Side Skirts

85 BMW 535is Lowering springs, bilstein sport shocks, extra attitude

I appreciate the suggestions, strokeZ. The manufacturer is well aware of the issue and what a massive improvement my modifications represent. It's just a question of them having the time to get the engineering completed on it. There's only so many hours in the day, you know?
    Mike

Senior Member Getting Dirty 06blkhemi's Avatar
    This is a very excellent thread !! Will this mod mean anything to us with just the spacer lifts,to help with rear articulation ? Next I love to see a solid front axle conversion,maybe using a Dana 44 ?!

Frank
    06 Hemi Limited,black,QD2,elsd,loaded minus back up camera,OEM hitch with 7pin harness. RC 2"lift,BFG Rugged Terrains 265x70x17(31.7"),1 3/4" Rugged ridge wheel spacers(front), 4xguard Matrix Pushbar and Grill Hoop,4xguard rockrail/sliders,4xGuard 12 bolt diff guard,6"Hella 500 Black Magic Driving lights.

It would be a change for the 4" set-up; would do nothing for the 2" folks.

And I wouldn't hold your breath on a front-axle swap -- nor would I personally see the point in it.
    Mike

Thread Information