Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Optima Yellow Top Battery

Administrator
    Blog Entries

Optima Yellow Top Battery

Someone sent me a PM wanting to know what battery I had in my Commander so I thought I would start a thread here for those who use the Optima Yellow Top.

I purchased mine on 10/20/09 (a little over a year ago) and have had no issues with it since installation. Keep in mind that my Commander sits for long periods of time (sometimes a month) before I will go out and start it and the battery has never let me down.

I installed the Yellow Top model number D34-78, I cannot remember the cost but I will look it up and add it here too.

I have the Warn Powermate Wench and that takes extra power when I am running it but I always use it with the motor running. I have six off-road lights but still have not hooked them up (another project for another day).
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty strokeZ's Avatar
    What is the difference between the Yellow and Red top batteries by Optima? I also have heard a deep cycle battery (marine use primarily) can be used for our vehicles. I am getting to the point where it's time to replace the original on my '07.
    2012 Jeep JKU Rubicon - 4-1/2" AEV lift w 35" Toyo's

03 BMW Z4 2.5i ESS Stage 2 Supercharged, Custom Suspension, Stebro Exhaust, Hamann Side Skirts

85 BMW 535is Lowering springs, bilstein sport shocks, extra attitude

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by strokeZ View Post
    What is the difference between the Yellow and Red top batteries by Optima? I also have heard a deep cycle battery (marine use primarily) can be used for our vehicles. I am getting to the point where it's time to replace the original on my '07.
    The Yelow Top is for Deep Cycling & Cranking, the Red Top is for Automotive Starting and the Blue Top is for Marine & RV Applications.

I went with yellow due to the winch and off road lights, I think red would be perfect for a stock vehicle but would recommend yellow or blue for any built up off road vehicle with accessories.
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    I'm thinking about getting the yellow top for my wife's car. I upgraded her sound system and plan on getting some more stuff for it so I think it would be a good choice. The funny thing is when I searched for optima batteries this thread showed up in the results that was pretty cool. Jon you remember how much you payed for yours.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal-XK View Post
    Jon you remember how much you payed for yours.
    I payed $189.00 for mine.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

WOW thats some serious doe. I know she will need one once we add her amps and subs and stuff.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty strokeZ's Avatar
    Well the stock battery on mine finally died out. Good thing is that I was at AutoZone at the time. They guys there tried to give it a charge but no go. Bad thing is that they did not have any Optima battery in stock. Soooooo, on a late Sunday afternoon, dead battery, I was forced to get the AZ brand (Duramax Gold). Still was $140 after core exchange. Supposed to have a 3 year 100% exchange warranty, 170 min of run time w/o charge and 8 year life. Shall see. Guess I should have been a bit more pro-active and got what I really wanted.....
    2012 Jeep JKU Rubicon - 4-1/2" AEV lift w 35" Toyo's

03 BMW Z4 2.5i ESS Stage 2 Supercharged, Custom Suspension, Stebro Exhaust, Hamann Side Skirts

85 BMW 535is Lowering springs, bilstein sport shocks, extra attitude

Senior Member Getting Dirty lekmedm's Avatar
    An old thread, I know, but I thought I'd add an idea here....

I also have a D34 Yellow Top, and it's been great. However, after having researched the choices that Optima offers (a little late), I see that they have a D35 that may be a better fit. This is because the poles are more towards the edges of the battery so you don't have to stretch and bend the cables to reach. I got a D35 Red Top for my Subaru, and it made the fitment much better.

I can't imagine my D34 dying anytime soon, but I'll be looking into a D35 for the next one.

Link to Optima battery selector D35 (8040-218)
    Last edited by lekmedm; 08-19-2011 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Added link
    2007 Commander Overland / 4" SuperLift / 285/70R17 Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx / Rusty's adjustable rear UCAs / Carolina Driveline front drive shaft / Flashpaq / DRLs & Tilting Mirrors / Autolite Iridiums / Cobra 29LX Chrome LE CB & Firestik antenna / Rear fog lights / Mopar Grille Guard with HID driving lights
    "4 wheel drive does not mean 4 wheel stop!" -Lee Goldberg, WABC TV weatherman

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lekmedm View Post
    An old thread, I know, but I thought I'd add an idea here....

I also have a D34 Yellow Top, and it's been great. However, after having researched the choices that Optima offers (a little late), I see that they have a D35 that may be a better fit. This is because the poles are more towards the edges of the battery so you don't have to stretch and bend the cables to reach. I got a D35 Red Top for my Subaru, and it made the fitment much better.

I can't imagine my D34 dying anytime soon, but I'll be looking into a D35 for the next one.

Link to Optima battery selector D35 (8040-218)
    Thanks for the research, that is a good suggestion (points shared).

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

What ever you have to do to make a optima fit it's worth the hassle. First there sealed and don't leak while off road and it don't take much of a lean to cause a normal battery to start leaking. My wife left the dual screen DVD player running in her car for over 24hrs I was already getting the jumper cables out when she started it up and it turned over with out hesitation. I can't wait for mine to fail so I can get one of these in my Jeep.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information