Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Optima Yellow Top Battery

Senior Member Getting Dirty Omelet's Avatar
    Sweet! I have the same one!

I have had mine since Dec 2009. It was only a month old when I bought it from Costco. I think I paid $180 for it. I also have a Red Top in my car, which was taken out of my XJ before that. I have had it for five years now with no problems. I am expecting the same out of my Yellow Top. I am a satisfied Optima customer!
    [05 WK Khaki 4x4 5.7L QDII ][ 5" SL (OME HD coils and struts) ][ 295/70/17 Nitto Trail Grapplers on 17" Moabs (for the daily grind) ][ 35x12.50R17LT BFG MT KR (for wheeling) ][ Hidden Superwinch in stock bumper][ And soooooo much more... ]

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty valpacer's Avatar
    I'm Running Dual Optimas in Mine. A red for the main starter, and a yellow for the main Aux battery via a Redarc Controller. (Ive got another set of AGM's in the rear as well via another controller but these only run the fridge and aux lights etc). Mine are also triggered to automatically join when winching. Ive actually had to use these for around 3 hours on and off without the motor running (radiator chockers with mud and didnt want to overheatit) and still going strong. Hence why i use optimas

Made up a custom alloy tray to house the 2 optimas, relocated the fuse boxes etc.

Rear Drawers with twin 55Ah AGM in the rear for the fridge and aux lights, inverter etc.

Dave
    2007 WH Grand Cherokee CRD QDII - 3" Exhaust, GDE Flash Tune, CRDSTU Hybrid Lift & bash Plates, 4xGuard Rock Rails & Rear Sliders, Saguaro F&R Bars, Warn 9.5CTI-s, AEV Saverge Rims, 35" KM2's, Snorkel, Custom Rear Drawers, ARB Dual Compressor + On Board Air, BullyDog Monitor, Dual Optimas Front and Dual Rear Aux Batteries YouTube Vids

Senior Member Getting Dirty HueyPilotVN's Avatar
    I have a red top Optima in my Commander. I thought I would also show you the back battery bank on the Coach. It has a well thought out electrical system. This bank of batteries feeds a 3,000 watt invertor that supplies all of the intertainment outlets so that you can us A/C going down the road without the generator running. The batteries are charged by the engine alternator when driving, the generator or shore power when parked and soon I am adding several solar panels to charge it without any outside electricity source.

Last edited by HueyPilotVN; 10-03-2011 at 03:56 PM.
    2007Jeep Green Limited
    4.7 Flex Fuel, Rocky Road 2.5" Lift on front, 4 inch Superlift coils on rear, Spidertrax 1.5" Spacers, Bridgestone 265/70/17
    Chrome Nerf Side Bars, K&N CAI, Flowmaster muffler, Aluminum Diamond Plate Locking Trunk installed
    Factory Roof Pod, Blue Ox Baseplate w/D-rings, "Get Lost 4X4" Front Bumper, T-Max 9000 winch, "Get Lost rear tire carrier, 30 gal second gas tank.
    Did anyone else read the fine print in the brochure and get a $500 rebate for being a Veteran?

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by valpacer View Post
    I'm Running Dual Optimas in Mine. A red for the main starter, and a yellow for the main Aux battery via a Redarc Controller. (Ive got another set of AGM's in the rear as well via another controller but these only run the fridge and aux lights etc). Mine are also triggered to automatically join when winching. Ive actually had to use these for around 3 hours on and off without the motor running (radiator chockers with mud and didnt want to overheatit) and still going strong. Hence why i use optimas

Made up a custom alloy tray to house the 2 optimas, relocated the fuse boxes etc.

Rear Drawers with twin 55Ah AGM in the rear for the fridge and aux lights, inverter etc.

Dave
    That's a nice setup I like the dual optima batteries. I never though about relocating the fuse box I put mine on the other side of the bay but I can see plenty of benefits to having them side by side I'll have to take a look and rethink my setup now.

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    Well, after 101,000 miles it looks like I need to replace my original battery in my XK. I have a winch which I rarely use. The rest of my use is whatever they put on the 07 Limited, Hemi,sunroof, NAV, stereo, rear DVD etc.

I assume for now it is the battery. Yesterday morning I tried to unlock the doors with the key fob and noticed they didn't work and it wouldn't start until I put the charger on for a few minutes. Drove it yesterday with stops and starts no problem but dead again this morning.

I don't want to replace the battery and find out there was an electrical drain somewhere.

Anyway, everybody still happy with Optima Yellow Tops? Any other suggestions on battery choice or how to verify it isn't a discharge drain?
    2007 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi, QDII, Rusty's 2" lift, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, GetLost4x4's front hitch mount for portable winch.GY Duratracs 265/70R17s, Rola Roof Rack.

Senior Member Getting Dirty BonesWK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GPintheMitten View Post
    Any other suggestions on battery choice or how to verify it isn't a discharge drain?
    Go get your battery tested, they will tell you if it is still healthy my man. Then you will know there is a drain somewhere.

101k on a battery is pretty darn good, so me thinks its dead or dying. I have No experience with any optima, however.
    Ryan ---- 2006 WK 4.7 QDII <- Click for Garage
    2.25" RR Lift - Front Bilstiens - Rear OMEs - 32" Wildpeaks - Saguaro 4x Shackles - Tail Light Guards - AFE intake - Rola - Exhaust
    Twitter Facebook ---- Chive On
    Quote Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
    Can't wait to see that big girl on those fat meats!

Thanks, BonesWK. I'm charging it now. I'll stop by an auto parts store and get it tested.
    2007 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi, QDII, Rusty's 2" lift, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, GetLost4x4's front hitch mount for portable winch.GY Duratracs 265/70R17s, Rola Roof Rack.

2007 Jeep Commander: QTII, Leather, Sunroof, remote start, OEM Skid Plates, 2 in Daystar lift, 255.75.17 BFG Mud Terrains on Moabs, 1.25 " Spidertrax wheel spacers, 4x Guard front guard and Side Guards, Optima Red Top, Robbys half inch leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shocks, Pinch weld mod and trimming!

You recommend the red over the yellow?

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Yellow is the starting battery. You can go to optima.com to look them up by what the colors mean. If you get red you might have problems. But I recommend you take a look at the site so you know you read it

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information