Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Optima Yellow Top Battery

Senior Member Getting Dirty hoaxci5's Avatar
    Red is a starting battery.
    Yellow is a starting/deep cycle battery.

You will have no problem if you run a red, I went with yellow because of extra electronics and for running higher powered lights and such in the future. Since you have a winch you may want to go with a yellow also, but a red wouldn't be a bad choice.

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    I have had 0 problems with the Red Top. I will never put extra lights on becuase I dont like how it looks, and it will never have a winch. So far she has left the interior lights on overnight, and it still started the next morning. I will put a Yellow Top in the TJ for the winch though
    2007 Jeep Commander: QTII, Leather, Sunroof, remote start, OEM Skid Plates, 2 in Daystar lift, 255.75.17 BFG Mud Terrains on Moabs, 1.25 " Spidertrax wheel spacers, 4x Guard front guard and Side Guards, Optima Red Top, Robbys half inch leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shocks, Pinch weld mod and trimming!

Senior Member Getting Dirty lekmedm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hoaxci5 View Post
    Red is a starting battery.
    Yellow is a starting/deep cycle battery.

You will have no problem if you run a red, I went with yellow because of extra electronics and for running higher powered lights and such in the future. Since you have a winch you may want to go with a yellow also, but a red wouldn't be a bad choice.

Agreed.

I have a yellow top in my Overland which is packed with electronics. Never had an issue, so I guess I'm pretty happy with it. I put a red top in my wife's Subaru Outback XT, and that's been working out great as well.

Optima is expensive, but it'll give you peace of mind.
    2007 Commander Overland / 4" SuperLift / 285/70R17 Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx / Rusty's adjustable rear UCAs / Carolina Driveline front drive shaft / Flashpaq / DRLs & Tilting Mirrors / Autolite Iridiums / Cobra 29LX Chrome LE CB & Firestik antenna / Rear fog lights / Mopar Grille Guard with HID driving lights
    "4 wheel drive does not mean 4 wheel stop!" -Lee Goldberg, WABC TV weatherman

Senior Member Getting Dirty HueyPilotVN's Avatar
    I have had a Red Top in the Commander for a couple of years with no problems at all.

I just put two Blue Top Optimas in the Stacker for the Car lift and other 12 volt uses.

One important thing to know if you are using two 12 volt batteries in parallel is that you should connect the positive cable to one and the negative cable to the other. When you connect both cables to one battery and simply wire the other one in parallel you end up depleting the first battery faster and if will fail before the second. It seems like it would not matter, but it does. Just a heads up.
    Factory Roof Pod, Blue Ox Baseplate w/D-rings, "Get Lost 4X4" Front Bumper, T-Max 9000 winch, "Get Lost rear tire carrier, 30 gal second gas tank.
    Did anyone else read the fine print in the brochure and get a $500 rebate for being a Veteran?

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    Thanks guys.

Well I had the auto parts store check my battery. It showed good and so did the starter and alternator using their tester. So I stopped by the dealer to have them check for an unauthorized amp draw. Their tests showed good battery, starter and alternator as well. I only had a few milli-amps draw, appropriate for maintaining the clock, memories etc.

He said with a battery this old, (original over 4 years, with 110,000 miles), it is probably sulfation and I should get a new battery. I went ahead and just got another battery like the one that came with my XK for $150. They cleaned the terminals etc. I had good service with that battery and if this one lasts that long, I'll be happy.
    2007 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi, QDII, Rusty's 2" lift, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, GetLost4x4's front hitch mount for portable winch.GY Duratracs 265/70R17s, Rola Roof Rack.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    So I got my colors mixed up that's why I said more then once to read the site. I put a yellow in the wife's car she left the rear dual DVDs running all night car started right up the next day and those testers those guys are using are junk. The old school ones that put an actual heavy 5sec load on the battery are the only ones I trust. When this battery goes in the XK or my wife's new car there both getting a yellow top well worth the extra few bucks.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    I showed up late to the party but... I have a yellow top and it has performed perfectly for the AZ heat and having a winch.
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Senior Member Getting Dirty lekmedm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GPintheMitten View Post
    I went ahead and just got another battery like the one that came with my XK for $150. They cleaned the terminals etc. I had good service with that battery and if this one lasts that long, I'll be happy.
    Shucks, for about $160 you could have gotten an Optima online. For about $70 you could have gotten a decent, original size battery from Walmart. I have heard good things about their batteries, and they have a 3 year warranty, I think.
    2007 Commander Overland / 4" SuperLift / 285/70R17 Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx / Rusty's adjustable rear UCAs / Carolina Driveline front drive shaft / Flashpaq / DRLs & Tilting Mirrors / Autolite Iridiums / Cobra 29LX Chrome LE CB & Firestik antenna / Rear fog lights / Mopar Grille Guard with HID driving lights
    "4 wheel drive does not mean 4 wheel stop!" -Lee Goldberg, WABC TV weatherman

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    I didn't think the $150 I paid for the wife's yellow top was to pricey myself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Senior Member Getting Dirty cico7's Avatar
    Did you swap out the new battery before you traded her car for the new one?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal-XK View Post
    I didn't think the $150 I paid for the wife's yellow top was to pricey myself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information