Thread: 07JeepXK's Garage

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Member Getting Dirty Ross's Avatar
    Over the past few days, I have been lookin into what portal axles are and all I can do is drool. I was originally unaware something like this even existed and the more I see the more I want haha.

What would be yall's thoughts on trying an ifs portal setup, like military Hummers, on an XK?

Would it be easier than a SAS or solid portal swap, due to the fact you don't have to worry about uptravel issues with the diff, and creating a whole 4-link system?

From what I gather, it would require either a custom setup (UCA's, LCA's, tie rods) to mount to the hummer knuckles, or would need a way to connect a portal box to the existing XK knuckles.

Here's a pic of the different hummer ifs portals and a hilux with ifs portals:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hummer ifs portals.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	2135  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hilux portaled IFS.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	2136  

Last edited by Ross; 10-19-2013 at 03:15 PM.
    2008 3.7L QT-1 dark blue Jeep Commander // 3+" modified OME lift with 3/8" Rocky Road strut spacer // 4" rear SL springs // 265/70/17 Goodyear Duratracs (Load E) // 1.5" spidertraxx spacers // F-150 Monroe Load Levelers // 4xguard matrix, front guard, belly guard, and rock sliders // 130 watt KC Daylighters - 2 // Airflow snorkel // Thrush welded exhaust // Defender Roof Rack with side ladder // Hypertech Max Energy Programmer

Thread Information