Page 26 of 32 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: 07JeepXK's Garage

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    It's weird because the pictures always make it look like there is more space between the lugs then there really is.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

I've decided to buy a new 4 door JK next summer. My commander is getting close to 145,000 miles and I'd like to get into a newer vehicle. I will be keeping the Commander because I have a decent amount of money into it and don't want to get rid of it. Especially due to the high mileage, I won't get much for it for it as a trade in and it would just go to auction anyways. As for the JK, I plan on doing something ridiculous. I'm going to save for the first couple years of owning it and buy dynatrac portal axles. It's about a $20,000 plus investment but the Jeep is going to be sick. As for the wrangler itself, I'll get a base model 6 speed to keep the cost down. With the portal axles I really won't need a lift but if I were to lift it, i wouldn't go anything bigger than an OME with long travel shocks. There would be no need for any lift bigger than that because I can run 37's just with the portal axles all day long. Can't wait!
    Last edited by 07JeepXK; 10-10-2013 at 06:27 AM.

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    Wow! So what would your daily driver be?
    2007 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi, QDII, Rusty's 2" lift, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, GetLost4x4's front hitch mount for portable winch.GY Duratracs 265/70R17s, Rola Roof Rack.

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    If you're going to spend that kind of money why not SFA the XK?
    2006 XK 4.7L QTII

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinS View Post
    X2!!

Doesn't quadratech sell portal kits for ~$7k for some axle combo's? You can SFA and portal the xk for under 20k.... then still get a 2nd vehicle if you want.... but have one of the most badass jeeps ever

Quote Originally Posted by GPintheMitten View Post
    Wow! So what would your daily driver be?
    That a good question. Haven't figured that out yet. Just with portal axles alone with no lift I can run 38's on the JK with no rubbing. And due to the very low gearing I'd have to run around that tire size if I ever planned on driving it on the highway. Right now the lowest gear ratio they have for the axles themselves is 4.10's. However they will have 3.73's here soon which will allow for lower rpm's for higher speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinS View Post

I really didn't want to sink a bunch of money into the XK due to the higher mileage. By next summer I'll be somewhere around 165,000 plus miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    X2!!

Doesn't quadratech sell portal kits for ~$7k for some axle combo's? You can SFA and portal the xk for under 20k.... then still get a 2nd vehicle if you want.... but have one of the most badass jeeps ever

That would be sick but not sure how long the 4.7 is going to last in the XK. I can already use a new transfer case or a rebuild and I'm sure the transmission will be getting to that point by the time I get the money to do what I have planned. This isn't something that would happen overnight due to the cost. I was planning on getting the JK and having it paid off within the first 2-3 years then go from there.

I'd have to look into it and see if they make a portal kit that a direct bolt on to our rear axles to even consider doing it to the XK
    Last edited by 07JeepXK; 10-10-2013 at 06:44 AM.

Senior Member Getting Dirty Ross's Avatar
    Over the past few days, I have been lookin into what portal axles are and all I can do is drool. I was originally unaware something like this even existed and the more I see the more I want haha.

What would be yall's thoughts on trying an ifs portal setup, like military Hummers, on an XK?

Would it be easier than a SAS or solid portal swap, due to the fact you don't have to worry about uptravel issues with the diff, and creating a whole 4-link system?

From what I gather, it would require either a custom setup (UCA's, LCA's, tie rods) to mount to the hummer knuckles, or would need a way to connect a portal box to the existing XK knuckles.

Here's a pic of the different hummer ifs portals and a hilux with ifs portals:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hummer ifs portals.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	2135  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hilux portaled IFS.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	2136  

Last edited by Ross; 10-19-2013 at 03:15 PM.
    2008 3.7L QT-1 dark blue Jeep Commander // 3+" modified OME lift with 3/8" Rocky Road strut spacer // 4" rear SL springs // 265/70/17 Goodyear Duratracs (Load E) // 1.5" spidertraxx spacers // F-150 Monroe Load Levelers // 4xguard matrix, front guard, belly guard, and rock sliders // 130 watt KC Daylighters - 2 // Airflow snorkel // Thrush welded exhaust // Defender Roof Rack with side ladder // Hypertech Max Energy Programmer

This is what I found when drained my rear diff yesterday. Guess I probably should have swapped the fluids after last off road trip lol.

In the next few weeks I'll be doing another rear diff fluid swap to ensure I got all the water out, relocating the breather tube up into the passenger side rear inner fender well above the fender well liner. Once the bushings get her from Kyle I'll be installing the Superlift shocks. After that better brake pads and rotors for the rear so I can finally stop these 34" MT/R's I just installed.

Oh and I rolled 145,000 miles too.

Last edited by 07JeepXK; 11-22-2013 at 09:55 AM.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Wheres that muddy pic to show what the xk looked like after that last trip?

Page 26 of 32 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread Information