Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 07JeepXK's Garage

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    who's jealous this guy is right here!!

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    The new MT/R's got mounted on the XK today! It now drives smooth again on the highway and no more pulling to the left! I'll have pictures tomorrow. As for the 4xGuard Bell Skid, unfortunately it wont get installed until I make it up to Rausch Creek.
    Last edited by 07JeepXK; 07-25-2011 at 06:14 PM.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

New Old Man Emu HD Coils, front struts and rear shocks have been installed on the XK. It drives so much better now. OME HD rear coils and JBA UCA's will be the next thing purchased for the XK!
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

I had to replace the driver's side front wheel bearing/hub the other day. It was howling pretty bad. Unfortunately when I was taking off the 36mm nut that holds the cv axle to the hub the threads on the cv got all messed up. I thought I would still be able to get the nut back on once I replaced the wheel bearing/hub but it didnt work out as planned. I had to install a new cv axle too. I'll be gone the next few months but once I get home the entire front end is getting rebuilt. New JBA UCA's and OEM LCA's since the ball joint and bushings are going bad. I'll probablly do outter tie rods while im at it and get rid of that garbage cv axle I just installed and go with an OEM cv. Unfortunately the dealer didnt have one in stock the other day when the threads stripped so I had to go with a rebuilt cheap one from the local parts store. The boots are paper thin compared to the oem shaft.

How much of a pain was it to replace the CV axle? The boot is paper thin but do you think the new half shaft is not up to par for the abuse that it will see?

Quote Originally Posted by Sal-XK View Post
    How much of a pain was it to replace the CV axle? The boot is paper thin but do you think the new half shaft is not up to par for the abuse that it will see?
    The CV axle was very easy to replace. I already had the brakes off along with the wheel bearing/hub so all I had to do was disconnect the sway bar end link from the lower control arm and disconnect the upper ball joint to allow the steering knuckle to swing forward. After that I just had to pop the cv axle out of the differential. Nothing to it at all. The new cv boots are very thin compared to stock. Definately not heavy duty at all. Even the metal bands that hold the boot on are no where near as HD as on the OEM cv's. Im not sure if it will take the abuse that it will see on my lifted XK. But it has a 3 year warranty so im not really worried about it.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty pjmjr508's Avatar
    I just replaced mine for the passanger side & getting to it wasn't an issue but a royal pain to get disconnected from the jeep. The replacement went in very quickly. Where did you get yours?
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Quote Originally Posted by pjmjr508 View Post
    I just replaced mine for the passanger side & getting to it wasn't an issue but a royal pain to get disconnected from the jeep. The replacement went in very quickly. Where did you get yours?
    I got mine from the local Napa. It was the only cv shaft in the area. I would have had to wait several days to get one from the dealer or anywhere else. It was only $59 + tax. Not bad but no where near as strong as the oem shaft. I had no problem getting the shaft out of the differential. It was actually a little harder to get the new one in all the way.

Thanks man I've been wondering about these aftermarket half shafts the price seemed cheap now we know why.

They are very easy to replace though and with a 3 year warranty I guess you cant go wrong. If the boot rips or I break the cv it will be replaced for free.

Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information