Page 24 of 32 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: 07JeepXK's Garage

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty pjmjr508's Avatar
    Understood.

It does not get that bad here so I can see why you would need it.
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    It doesn't usually get in the negatives where I'm at (maybe the wind chill does) but it's not a bad thing to have one anyways. I paid $30 for the engine block heater from the dealer. It's just nice starting up you vehicle and having instant heat for those cold days! Especially when your windows are all iced up
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Senior Member Getting Dirty thance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 07JeepXK View Post
    Well yea. When driving on a straight road and on the gas the rear end will stay locked. If there is a curve in the road and still on the gas then it wont unlock. When you come to a stop sign or stop light and make a left or right turn, the two rear tires will start to travel at different speeds around the turn and thats when it unlocks. But the no slip doesn't ratchet like you mentioned. Which ever wheel is on the inside will get the power and the out will unlocks. It doesn't actually ratchet like the Aussie. It opens that side of the locker and spins freely until you start going straight again (both rear tires turning at the same speed) and then re locks that side. The Aussie actually ratchets meaning the teeth on the locker open and close repeatedly around the turn when one rear wheels is moving faster than the other. When I did the spin test with both lockers installed and the rear diff cover off you can totally see how both lockers work and that the no slip is far more superior.
    My understanding of the no-slip is that it allows a wheel to freely spin faster than dictated by the driveshaft but not slower. This is different than a locker where both wheels move in lock step with the drive shaft and an open diff or limited slip where the load is balanced across the wheels and one may spin faster while the other spins slower than the driveshaft. This agrees with your statement that the no-slip drives the inner wheel around corners.

Have you experienced any adverse affects to date from the no-slip combined with the xk traction control...... e.i., what happens when the xk brakes one wheel on the axle, how does the no-slip react? Does this have any ill effects at the other end of the axle??????

I'm not sure if it allows a given tire to spin faster then the drive shaft? I didn't even know that is possible?!?

No adverse effects with the no-slip since it has been installed. It is literally transparent for daily driving. No traction control issue either. When off road, the traction control shouldnt brake one of the rear tires because there is never a time that one rear tire is moving faster then the other because the no-slip is at a full lock. Especially in 4 low with your foot on the gas. I've notice since the no slip has been installed the traction control really doesn't kick in at all due to the crazy amount of traction I'm now getting with the locker and aggressive mud tires
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Senior Member Getting Dirty criket's Avatar
    It doesn't usually get in the negatives where I'm at (maybe the wind chill does) but it's not a bad thing to have one anyways. I paid $30 for the engine block heater from the dealer. It's just nice starting up you vehicle and having instant heat for those cold days! Especially when your windows are all iced up
    This is why I would like to have one. It doesn't get that cold where I am but the wind chill can bring it down to the single digits or even some negatives. Thanks.
    SOLD - 2005 | WK | Khaki | 3.7 | QT1 | OME HD Front Struts | Rusty's 2" lift in Rear w/ Monroe load levelers (F150 version) | 265/70 Nitto Terra Grapplers | 17" Moabs | 1.5" wheel spacers | Pinch weld mod | Rear fender trim mod | 4xG Matrix w/ reciever hitch | 4xG Belly guard | SOLID Diff cover | Cobra CB radio | 4xG CB radio antenna mount

Senior Member Getting Dirty thance's Avatar
    I'm not sure if it allows a given tire to spin faster then the drive shaft? I didn't even know that is possible?!?

If you go around a corner with an open diff the outer wheel spins faster than the inner wheel as it has farther to go and the same amount of time to get there. When you do the same with a locker you get skipping and popping as one wheel has farther to go than the other but they are both forced to rotate in lock step.

In an open diff when a tire slips (ice under one tire for example) all power goes to the slipping tire and the other one just sits still. With a locker they both spin together and the one with traction keeps the vehicle moving forward.

A no slip attempts (and does a great job from what I hear) of giving the best of both worlds.... allowing one tire to spin faster than the other when cornering while not allowing all power to go to the faster moving (slipping wheel). it must either be allowing one tire to rotate faster than what's dictated by the driveshaft or slower. If it were slower, than the outside wheel would be the driving wheel around the corner.

Thanks for the great evaluation of it's behavior in our highly computer controlled xk's.

Made a final payment of $2000 on the Jeep on Tuesday with my tax return which cleared my bank today! Jeep is paid off (6 month early!!!) Next is new OME struts as mine are shot after two years of abuse lol. It will be getting new upper and lower isolators. I need to replace the passenger side cv shaft at the same time due to a ripped boot.
    Last edited by 07JeepXK; 02-14-2013 at 06:54 AM.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty cabledog25's Avatar
    Congrats man, i bet it feels nice not having a car note

Oh it sure does! We shall see how long the Jeep lasts now. I have 127,000 miles on it.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty cabledog25's Avatar
    dang put a few miles on it? mine is an 07 with about 65,000 to 70,000 haha

Page 24 of 32 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread Information