Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: 07JeepXK's Garage

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal-XK View Post
    Oh yea at least 2" mine is flat now with the rest of the metal.
    I think you had me confused the other day. It sounds like you cut the pinch welds clean with the existing metal, threw some tack welds on it to strengthen it up and then grinded it smooth. Is that correct? Im actually cutting the entire pinch weld area out of the XK and relocating it back about 2 inches farther then what yours currently looks like. I thought thats what you did at first. I'll be going to lowes or home depot for some sheet metal tonight.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 07JeepXK View Post
    I think you had me confused the other day. It sounds like you cut the pinch welds clean with the existing metal, threw some tack welds on it to strengthen it up and then grinded it smooth. Is that correct? Im actually cutting the entire pinch weld area out of the XK and relocating it back about 2 inches farther then what yours currently looks like. I thought thats what you did at first. I'll be going to lowes or home depot for some sheet metal tonight.
    Ya that's exactly what I did and only did it to about the lower 8" as well were the tire contacts. Your plan has my attention I never thought to do that take pics. I'd need a new welder to do that as well the one I borrowed only has two power setting min and max so it's kinda limited that's why I did tack welds instead of running a bead.

I've posted this picture before of my friends 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.7 L with the 4 inch BDS lift that the pinch weld mod was done on. He's the same one running the 3.73's now. Once he got to where you are with your pinch welds, he completely cut out the entire pinch weld area and relocated it back about another 2 inch and welded in sheet metal.

2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Wheels dont clear the front brake caliper bracket. 1/4 hub/wheel centric wheel spacers are being made as we speak and over nighted to my house. I'll update more on this tomorrow once the tires get in and are mounted on the wheels. It doesnt look like the wheel/tire will sit out as far as I figured. Guess I'll find out.

The 1/4 wheel spacers turned out perfect. They really lock that wheel in tight to the hub. The front is done for the moment until Jay finds some time to weld in new steel in the pinch weld area I cut out. I didnt do as planned with the fender flares by cutting an inch all the way around because it was needed to clear the tires. If it rubs when off road ill do it then. As far as the rear, I have 1 inch bump stop spacers I still need to install and I might do a little work to the rear flare. Im going to wait and see what Sal has up his sleeve for that. Not rubbing at all during normal street driving. The new wheels dont have tpms sensors so using my Flashpaq I enabled the off road setting so the light isnt on the dash. Changed the tire size also with the flashpaq and its dead on. These new tires measure 32.75 inches tall at 40 psi. From the ground to the fender flare im at 37 3/4 inches all the way around. I was dead on at 36 inches prior to the tires.

Senior Member Getting Dirty stites-xk's Avatar
    That looks awesome!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Man I love those wheels it looks great! You should of trimmed the front flare cause your diffidently going to rub. I had the rear apart yesterday bro and I'm drawing a blank on how to make more room and make it look good at the same time. That rear door is a PITA.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty
    Looks like it turned out very well... You notice any difference in the drivetrain with the extra weight.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Can't wait to see that thing on the trails!

Quote Originally Posted by Sal-XK View Post
    Man I love those wheels it looks great! You should of trimmed the front flare cause your diffidently going to rub. I had the rear apart yesterday bro and I'm drawing a blank on how to make more room and make it look good at the same time. That rear door is a PITA.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    I did trim the front flares a little. Just not what I originally planned because I wanted to be able to throw the plastic inner fender wells back in until jay can weld in some steel. The pinch weld area was totally chopped right out. With the flares off I could easily clear 35s. I'm still thinking about the rear. I'll let you know what I come up with. I have an idea but need to make sure a friend is free to use his plasma cutter

Quote Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
    Looks like it turned out very well... You notice any difference in the drivetrain with the extra weight.
    Thanks...I noticed a slight difference with the heavier bigger tires but the 4.7 has no problem pushing them. I also noticed a little difference in braking. Its a little harder to slow the XK down. No big deal.
    Last edited by 07JeepXK; 04-28-2012 at 12:26 PM.

Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread Information