Thread: serious question about 6" lift

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    I think sticking with the IFS is the way to go. The cons are out weighing the pros on this swap big time. I'm guessing 33" is the max tire with the 4" lift? Also you cannot do a body lift on a unibody correct? Getting the wheels out 2" past the wheel flares how much trimming do you think I would have to do to get 35"? Or is that just a bad idea? I've only hit the under body a few time ( I'm very careful and meticulous about my lines) but I want to take some of the harder lines.

Junior Member Looking for Dirt kmax's Avatar
    I agree about sticking with IFS on the XK. The risk, even if it turns out well, is a vehicle that doesn't handle or ride as well, and is seriously devalued for everyone but a very select buyer. Even if you could get the articulation into the TJ/JK realm, you now have a vehicle that is at least 8 to 10 inches taller than stock (including tire height) so stability in off-camber situations becomes questionable. If you look at the solid axle swap Liberties, they're all pretty tall just to get the necessary room for the front axle under the motor. So unless you can invest in a used XK and want the bragging rights of being the first (might get yourself into a magazine!) to do a front axle swap, then like you said, the cons outweigh the pros. It's much easier to get a JK unlimited and do all the lifting you want, even if you become "just another JK" on the trail.
    Ken
    Colorado
    '06 Ltd, 5.7, QDII, 4" Superlift SSR + Deaver front coils, GL4x4 bumper, Smittybilt XRC10/synthetic rope, Flowmaster 50, aFe intake, 4xG rock rails, Rola rack, stupid little CB, 1.5" spacers and 285/70-17 KM2's on Moab's. Sold.

Senior Member Getting Dirty 06blkhemi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kmax View Post
    I agree about sticking with IFS on the XK. The risk, even if it turns out well, is a vehicle that doesn't handle or ride as well, and is seriously devalued for everyone but a very select buyer. Even if you could get the articulation into the TJ/JK realm, you now have a vehicle that is at least 8 to 10 inches taller than stock (including tire height) so stability in off-camber situations becomes questionable. If you look at the solid axle swap Liberties, they're all pretty tall just to get the necessary room for the front axle under the motor. So unless you can invest in a used XK and want the bragging rights of being the first (might get yourself into a magazine!) to do a front axle swap, then like you said, the cons outweigh the pros. It's much easier to get a JK unlimited and do all the lifting you want, even if you become "just another JK" on the trail.
    Totally agree with you ! It is what it is and it won't be what you want to drive as a DD. Get a Rubicon JK, heck leave it stock and it will do more then our XK's!
    06 Hemi Limited,black,QD2,elsd,loaded minus back up camera,OEM hitch with 7pin harness. RC 2"lift,BFG Rugged Terrains 265x70x17(31.7"),1 3/4" Rugged ridge wheel spacers(front), 4xguard Matrix Pushbar and Grill Hoop,4xguard rockrail/sliders,4xGuard 12 bolt diff guard,6"Hella 500 Black Magic Driving lights.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty strokeZ's Avatar
    From the Superlift website: A lifted WK or XK will clear 33½ to 34½ tall rubber, depending on wheel width and offset. The V-8 equipped Jeeps (especially the Hemis) will have no problems pulling this size tire, even without a gear ratio change.
    2012 Jeep JKU Rubicon - 4-1/2" AEV lift w 35" Toyo's

03 BMW Z4 2.5i ESS Stage 2 Supercharged, Custom Suspension, Stebro Exhaust, Hamann Side Skirts

85 BMW 535is Lowering springs, bilstein sport shocks, extra attitude

Well, it seems after much discussion that the best way to achieve a 6" lift so far is to go with the Rusty's 4" lift, JBA UCA's and adjustable front struts, 2" spacer lift. This is where I have landed on the discussion. I would like to discuss this further though because new products and idea's are popping up all the time. From what I am gathering is if I get custom made brackets to drop the diff another inch or two then stacking shouldn't be a problem I'm guessing. This should allow me to run 35" tires which is my goal. So lets here your opinions on this setup threw brain storming we will eventually figure a solid way to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by 06blkhemi View Post
    Totally agree with you ! It is what it is and it won't be what you want to drive as a DD. Get a Rubicon JK, heck leave it stock and it will do more then our XK's!
    I've already proven this is not the case. A stock JK has almost no ground clearance especially considering its length. Also the stock shovel sitting as low as it does is a double whammy against the thing. You think were tripods in the XK watch a stock JK with no disco's stock tires on a trail If his shovel don't get hung up first.

Senior Member Getting Dirty 06blkhemi's Avatar
    What would be nice is to be able to keep the CG low as possible with cutting the fenders mild lift and 35s.. Mine feels so top heavy already I don't think I personally would feel comfortable driving it.. My XJ with the 3.5" Rubicon Express Superflex TJ Flares and 33s would keep up with a Wrangler all day long on the trails.. Kinda miss it but I love how much bigger isize and the Hemi power that the XK has !!
    06 Hemi Limited,black,QD2,elsd,loaded minus back up camera,OEM hitch with 7pin harness. RC 2"lift,BFG Rugged Terrains 265x70x17(31.7"),1 3/4" Rugged ridge wheel spacers(front), 4xguard Matrix Pushbar and Grill Hoop,4xguard rockrail/sliders,4xGuard 12 bolt diff guard,6"Hella 500 Black Magic Driving lights.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty strokeZ's Avatar
    Well I have 33's and 4" lift but don't feel top heavy at all. I think the new rims pushing the stance out certainly helps the stability. Perhaps you will need to go a bit farther as you go up to 6". I have often read - if you are going up you gotta go out!
    2012 Jeep JKU Rubicon - 4-1/2" AEV lift w 35" Toyo's

03 BMW Z4 2.5i ESS Stage 2 Supercharged, Custom Suspension, Stebro Exhaust, Hamann Side Skirts

85 BMW 535is Lowering springs, bilstein sport shocks, extra attitude

Fitting 35" tires is the end goal. If I could do it with just the spacer lift I would. I just don't want to cut so much of the XK away you can't tell what it is. But I'm getting there anyway thats the wifes opinion anyway LOL

I plan on pushing my tires out probably an inch or two past the fender flares.

Thread Information