Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: serious question about 6" lift

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar

serious question about 6" lift

Ok well, I found some people that can help me swap in a solid front axle on my XK I know the computer might be an issue but I don't think the computer can tell the diff between a IFS and a solid axle especially since it will be locked. My question is how hard or is it even possible to get at least a 6" lift with the IFS. Will I have to get custom control arms or what. I know the issue is keeping the CV angle as stock as possible to not cause damage and wear it out every 3k miles. I've been real impressed with the XK and wish to hit harder obstacles. Also need to get wider tires and have them push out beyond the fender wells as well since I landed on that tree last weekend. Obviously this will be a mod for much later on down the road but I like to research things well in advance. I just need to figure out if I should just start on the solid axle idea or what. Oh the goal would be at least 35" tires not even sure if a 6" will be enough to get 35's. Well I have thick skin so lets here some opinions and experience let it fly thanks,

Senior Member Getting Dirty NeilSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    How would you even mount a solid axle ? I guess there would be a LOT of fabrication to be done.
    '07 Commander 3.7 V6
    2" Rough Country Lift with Vision Warriors and Goodyear Duratracs 245/75R17
    BajaRack Mega-Mule with KC Daylighters
    http://s624.photobucket.com/albums/t...cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

Quote Originally Posted by NeilSmith View Post
    How would you even mount a solid axle ? I guess there would be a LOT of fabrication to be done.
    I really have no idea to be honest with you. I know very little about suspension and axles. I would just have to trust this dude I guess if thats the route I end up going in.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty strokeZ's Avatar
    Hey Sal, have you chatted with txbajacommander from the 'other' forum (he might be on this forum too, not sure)? I think he has a 6" lift and claims no problems. Might give you some insight.
    2012 Jeep JKU Rubicon - 4-1/2" AEV lift w 35" Toyo's

03 BMW Z4 2.5i ESS Stage 2 Supercharged, Custom Suspension, Stebro Exhaust, Hamann Side Skirts

85 BMW 535is Lowering springs, bilstein sport shocks, extra attitude

Quote Originally Posted by strokeZ View Post
    Hey Sal, have you chatted with txbajacommander from the 'other' forum (he might be on this forum too, not sure)? I think he has a 6" lift and claims no problems. Might give you some insight.
    The problem is his XK is only 2 wheel drive. So 6" on the rear is no big deal and on the front with out having to consider CV axle angles and stuff like that is why he can get away with it and have no issues.

ahhhhh gotcha. that does make a huge difference.

03 BMW Z4 2.5i ESS Stage 2 Supercharged, Custom Suspension, Stebro Exhaust, Hamann Side Skirts

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty IamJEEP's Avatar
    Are you talking about getting a 4" Super Lift and adding the 2" spacers or a real 6" lift? If you are doing the pre mentioned, then I believe it has been said that your cv's would be at the same angle as like just running the spacer lift.....????......IDK, just saying what I've read (somewhere, I don't remember..LOL).
    ****Uwharrie Aprroved****
    2006 Commander Sport- 3.7L- 4X4*Inferno Red Crystal Pearl*Rocky Road 2.25" lift *"Limited" Color-Matched Rear Grab Handles*Mopar Hitch/Harness*4xGaurd Matrix w/Fogs*Rear Bumper Lights*Tinted Front Side Markers*MHT Fuel Hostage 17x8.5 +14ET*Nitto Terra Graplers 265/70/17*
    --------->My Garage<------------------

RAGE ROOF RACK MEMBER #2
    Quote Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
    Then I drove her hard for about 45 mins.

One issue that I see with that approach is the new SL xmember is already cut out for the front axle and it is very close when done right so as not to interfere. If you further increase the angle, you may have to cut more of the xmember and that may weaken it substantially.

Quote Originally Posted by IamJEEP View Post
    Are you talking about getting a 4" Super Lift and adding the 2" spacers or a real 6" lift? If you are doing the pre mentioned, then I believe it has been said that your cv's would be at the same angle as like just running the spacer lift.....????......IDK, just saying what I've read (somewhere, I don't remember..LOL).
    I would prefer a true 6" lift. But if adding the superlift dosent change the angle of the CV axle that might not be to bad I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by strokeZ View Post
    One issue that I see with that approach is the new SL xmember is already cut out for the front axle and it is very close when done right so as not to interfere. If you further increase the angle, you may have to cut more of the xmember and that may weaken it substantially.
    I would prefer not to do an axle swap if I don't have to. It's just an option a remote one but still an option.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information