Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: serious question about 6" lift

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty strokeZ's Avatar
    The superlift replaces steering components to bring all the angles back to the stock specs. So theoretically you can add your current lift to the superlift and be no different in terms of CV angle that you are today. I would still want to fully research the front driveshaft interaction with the new crossmember and see how the u-joints would be impacted and make sure that the EGR module will function properly with the additional lift over 4". I can tell you that going from the RR lift to the SL was significant. After switching the 265's to 285's I am about 3.5" taller than the RR at the roofline. The rear diff is only about 0.6" higher than before, mainly due to the difference in tire radius.

Good topic and if stacking spacers can be done safely, then its something that I myself would consider in the future.
    2012 Jeep JKU Rubicon - 4-1/2" AEV lift w 35" Toyo's

03 BMW Z4 2.5i ESS Stage 2 Supercharged, Custom Suspension, Stebro Exhaust, Hamann Side Skirts

85 BMW 535is Lowering springs, bilstein sport shocks, extra attitude

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    My biggest concern is the angles of the CV axles because off roading the way I do these will get stressed out. There are lots of benefits to going to a solid axle like getting it locked and articulation and stuff but not sure it is worth all the work and problems it will cause as well. If I can get 6" of lift keeping the IFS the benefits would be huge in ground clearance alone. I just don't want to be wearing out parts constantly and breaking down.

Fully agree with that Sal! I am certainly no expert in this, I just know what I do by talking with the installers / manufacturers. I know there are others on the forum that might have more background and expertise. Would be good to hear their opinion as well.
    Last edited by strokeZ; 12-09-2010 at 03:34 PM.

03 BMW Z4 2.5i ESS Stage 2 Supercharged, Custom Suspension, Stebro Exhaust, Hamann Side Skirts

Senior Member Getting Dirty NeilSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I so wish the XK had been designed with a solid axle front and rear. I just know from little experiance helping out with drag cars, adding rack and pinion and putting 9" ford rears in Chevy muscle cars. It takes quite a bit of fab work. It has to be RIGHT. Imagine the trouble getting the housing mounts in the correct spot, aligning with the rest of the drivetrain properly. What is there up in front to even weld to ? Not to mention when the computer freakin shuts down when you start it up. LOL !!
    '07 Commander 3.7 V6
    2" Rough Country Lift with Vision Warriors and Goodyear Duratracs 245/75R17
    BajaRack Mega-Mule with KC Daylighters
    http://s624.photobucket.com/albums/t...cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    The most I would do is the 4 inch Superlift with an extra 1 inch spacer. Anything more then will start to give you problems. It would be similar to Phunkeydudes old setup. But with that you would really need either the jeepinbyal UCA's or the HD Uni-ball UCA's. Unless you were to take off both front and rear flares like seen on the jeepinbyal website you can forget about 35 inch tires. I think 34's (305/70R17) would be more like it if you had the proper back spaced wheel or used 1.25-1.5 inch spacers on the stock wheels. Also I believe KMAX looked into a SFA. Its possible, but would cost a small fortune.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

so if you got the the SL and the UCA's would double stacking with the rc 2" lift work you think. Keeping in mind that it will be taken off road rather frequently. I did figure the stock flares would have to go and be replaced with something else something that may have kept me off that tree I slid into this weekend.

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    If your going to be taking it off road frequently I wouldnt go with a 2 inch on top of a 4. Id get some custom spacers like phunkeydude did for an extra inch of lift. That will keep your cv's at a better angle and put less stress on the UCA.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Quote Originally Posted by 07JeepXK View Post
    If your going to be taking it off road frequently I wouldnt go with a 2 inch on top of a 4. Id get some custom spacers like phunkeydude did for an extra inch of lift. That will keep your cv's at a better angle and put less stress on the UCA.
    I saw some double stacking threads around. I don't want to loose my wheel travel either. What parts in the suspension are causing the limits of the lift. Is it just the upper and lower controll arms?

Hey Sal, been wondering - what is the incentive to go 6" vs 4"? Are you just looking for more ground clearance? You might want to check kmax's comments from his last moab trip (in pictures). The issue he had may be amplified if you try to go higher w larger tires.

Quote Originally Posted by strokeZ View Post
    Hey Sal, been wondering - what is the incentive to go 6" vs 4"? Are you just looking for more ground clearance? You might want to check kmax's comments from his last moab trip (in pictures). The issue he had may be amplified if you try to go higher w larger tires.
    It's all about the tire size 33" to small and wheel articulation. I'll have to check his thread out when I get home.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information