Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: serious question about 6" lift

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    I plan on pushing my tires out probably an inch or two past the fender flares.

Member Looking for Dirt bigmaninds's Avatar
    I personally would like to do a solid front axle swap. I looked into it and I was told about 5-8K to accomplish this. Does anyone know if an Atlas transfer case would work in our XK?

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty WanderingTs's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Sal I see that you are running the 4.7L V-8 like mine. I tow a trailer with mine and have noticed a significant reduction in power since moving up from the stock tire size. I can even tell the difference starting from a dead stop (especially on a hill) when not towing. I knew there would be some power reduction with the larger tires, but I was suprised it was so noticeable. Have you considered (or is there even a way to know) how much power reduction 35" tires would cause? Would the 4.7 still have the power to mount the rocks and obstacles you would be able to clear?
    The best things in life can not be found on a map; they can only be found while Wandering.
    __________________________________________________ ___

2007 XK - 4.7L Flex Fuel // Rocky Road 2.25 lift // Rocky Road Super Sliders // Toyo Open Country 265/70R17 tires // 4xGuard Front Guard // 4xGuard Belly Guard // 4xGuard Matrix-HC with optional front hitch // Warn XD9000I hitch mounted winch // Graco Carseat for the Youngun

http://www.xk-forum.com/blog.php - The Wild(life) Side of Jeeping

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    I really didn't notice any power loss myself but I'm sure that has a lot to do with my driving habits. I very rarely put the skinny pedal to the floor for any reason and I'm usually never more then 5MPH over the speed limit. While rock crawling I'm always in 4LO and never once been in a situation were more power was needed. In fact I find spinning the tires requires very little effort. I know what your saying I've seen guys on obstacles with there foot to the floor and they weren't moving or spinning there tires LOL. I would imagine that it would take much bigger then 35's to cause this on the 4.7L in while in 4LO. I'm guessing a new TC would solve this if your getting something bigger then 35's. IMO 35's would be the max for all around use.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty strokeZ's Avatar
    Wandering - I have gone up in tire size twice now and have not really noticed a power loss. What I have noticed is that the engine kicks down more frequently when going up hills etc, however off the line the vehicle is about the same. I do have a chip on the ECU but its been there since I had the stock tires. I do like to bury the throttle but rarely exceed the speed limit (I have another vehicle for that!).
    2012 Jeep JKU Rubicon - 4-1/2" AEV lift w 35" Toyo's

03 BMW Z4 2.5i ESS Stage 2 Supercharged, Custom Suspension, Stebro Exhaust, Hamann Side Skirts

85 BMW 535is Lowering springs, bilstein sport shocks, extra attitude

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty WanderingTs's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    All of my cars have two modes - full brake, or full throttle. I don't find much use for what is in the middle....unless it is on cruise control. I teach high speed pursuit driving, so I am sure you can see my predjudice.

Off road, I have never had a power problem. I just noticed an on road decline after the bigger tires and I am not smart enough to figure out how to extrapolate that to off road and even larger tires. I just know that I used to get pushed back into the seat when I stomped the stock XK. Now it gets up to speed quickly, but that "shove you into the seat feeling" is gone.
    The best things in life can not be found on a map; they can only be found while Wandering.
    __________________________________________________ ___

2007 XK - 4.7L Flex Fuel // Rocky Road 2.25 lift // Rocky Road Super Sliders // Toyo Open Country 265/70R17 tires // 4xGuard Front Guard // 4xGuard Belly Guard // 4xGuard Matrix-HC with optional front hitch // Warn XD9000I hitch mounted winch // Graco Carseat for the Youngun

http://www.xk-forum.com/blog.php - The Wild(life) Side of Jeeping

Member Looking for Dirt txbajacommander's Avatar
    After I went to the 4" SL and 285 tires. I noticed a loss in power. So I got the jet chip cai, and cat back. Love the power now. What about the guy on the other forum who is going back to his 6" with 35's.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information