Thread: Bilstein 5150's and replacement struts.

Bilstein 5150's and replacement struts.

Any of you guys that have these know if I need any special fasteners or anything of the like when installing these on the Jeep. I'd like it all to go smooth.

I do have the RK 3.5" lift. If that makes any difference.

Thanks guys.

Justin

Senior Member Getting Dirty 06blkhemi's Avatar
    I would also like to change out my struts and shocks. I think the fronts are to short with the 2"spacer lift,backs definitely are though !!
    06 Hemi Limited,black,QD2,elsd,loaded minus back up camera,OEM hitch with 7pin harness. RC 2"lift,BFG Rugged Terrains 265x70x17(31.7"),1 3/4" Rugged ridge wheel spacers(front), 4xguard Matrix Pushbar and Grill Hoop,4xguard rockrail/sliders,4xGuard 12 bolt diff guard,6"Hella 500 Black Magic Driving lights.

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    The HD Bilstein struts are a direct replacement. For the you just need a few bolts and several 1/2 inch washers. If you search on jeepcommander.com you will find a parts list i posted from Sept 2009 when I replaced mine. I cant remember off hand the exact bolts I used.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Did the research for you this is what you will need for the rear 5150's:

(4) M12x1.75x80mm approx. 3" long
    (10) 1/2 inch washers for those bolts

The bottom of the shock needs two washers on each side of the eyelets. Top should just need one on each side. As long as there tight you wont have any issues.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

forgot to subscribe

So I missed your info yesterday.

Install went well, except the click, click from the rear shocks.

I'll replace those fasteners and spacers I added this coming weekend I guess.

Thanks for the info, that'll save lots of time and effort on the trial and error of "just figure it out" that I normally go with.

J

Senior Member Getting Dirty superacerc's Avatar
    I had the click click on the rear as well and it was the bolt moving around lightly on the top of the shock when taking and releasing loads. I bought two 1/2" nylon bushings and put them on the outside of the bolt and then used my impact to drive them down and flatten them out so they act as a washer. When i put them on they fit inside the hole on the body(the outermost thin hole) on the top of the bolt and when i smashed it down with the impact it did a pop rivet kind of move and flattened on both sides of the metal to keep the bolt from moving around in the hole. Haven't had the clickety clack anymore.
    2007 Commander 4.7L, QTII, OEM Towing Option, tow hooks, 2"OME + 1/4" rusty's leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shks, Rear sway bar removed, 4xguard front skid, Offroad Unlimited Defender Roof Rack, Hella 500FF lights, 265/70/R17 BFG KM2 M/Ts 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers
    http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...acerc-s-Garage

Finally installed my Bilstein 5150s I've had for 3 months. Man, what a difference. Right side is clicking slightly. I only used 2 washers on the bottom though. My bad, didn't see this thread before now.

Is it me or does the metal on the top bracket seem somewhat soft? I have two washers up there, but as I tightened the bolt, it sucked the bracket in a bit. I'm just worried that it is weak now and may crack.
    Blue 2006 Jeep Commander Limited, 4.7L... AFE, Flow Master 50, Jeep Slush Mats, Grab Handles, 1.5" spidertrax, RC 2", and hacked AVIC-Z120BT w/ infinity refs all around + 320GB music library. Need a basket badly! Also need new rear bumper! (dam u blind spot)

Yes, the metal up top where the shock mounts is somewhat soft. I just took off my Bilstein 5150's about a week and a half ago because they were blown and they did quite a number on the metal up there. Since the eyelets are so small compared to the OEM shocks, I had to pry the metal back out to fit my ne Old Man Emu shocks up there. Same thing for the bottom.

Thread Information