Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Adondo's garage

Senior Member Getting Dirty Adondo's Avatar

Adondo's garage

I guess it's time to get around to posting a few photos.

In its present form:

About day 3 of ownership:
    2006, 4.7L, QTII, Toyo Wild Country M/T 265/70R17 tires, Ultrasport 175 wheels, Rocky Road 2.25'' lift kit, HID off-road lighting, Surco 50x60 roof rack, Foxwing awning, Superchips performance programming.

Camped out on a rainy July 4th weekend. (This year) My bed is in the back of the Jeep. We were in the Mt. Adams and/or Mt. St. Helens area.

Going up Imogene Pass in Colorado:

Parked in the Four Corners area.

On top of the Mogi Dugway.

A balanced rock somewhere north of Moab Utah. (If I remember, we passed the Poison Spider trail-head on the way here)
    Last edited by Adondo; 12-28-2010 at 03:48 PM.
    2006, 4.7L, QTII, Toyo Wild Country M/T 265/70R17 tires, Ultrasport 175 wheels, Rocky Road 2.25'' lift kit, HID off-road lighting, Surco 50x60 roof rack, Foxwing awning, Superchips performance programming.

Stopped along highway 6... on the way to Moab.

A line of Commanders on the way out of Silverton during the XK Camp of 2009.

Extra LED cargo area lighting.

A few extra lights up front, including HID's.

Lighting switch locations:

The ''relay farm" for the roof rack lighting:

Installing the Blue Ox towing setup. (So it can be dragged along behind the motorcoach)

Ripping out the third row seat for storage.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty strokeZ's Avatar
    Nice job w all of your mods!! I like the 3rd row delete....
    2012 Jeep JKU Rubicon - 4-1/2" AEV lift w 35" Toyo's

03 BMW Z4 2.5i ESS Stage 2 Supercharged, Custom Suspension, Stebro Exhaust, Hamann Side Skirts

85 BMW 535is Lowering springs, bilstein sport shocks, extra attitude

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Very nice, someday I need to copy the rear storage box mod.
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Oh no, you can't copy my storage setup. It's patent pending number: 6,976,329,352.

You can see what I did. It's was a fit-as-I-went-along thing. I added the wedge shape to hold the floor jack in place. What you can't see are the 3" holes I cut in the right side 1x6 piece that lets the rear HVAC air out. There are duct openings in the trim there.

The only thing I might have done different is a split lid or the like. As it is, I have to unload everything off the false floor before opening up the full sized lid. I have recently redone my setup, by adding a Rubbermaid bin box. Bottled water, emergency food including MRE's, extra oil, antifreeze, etc. etc. etc. are all in that box. The box got heavy and is held in place by straps hooked to the back of the rear seat, but it can be set out on the ground when needed. It also doubles as a seat to sit on.

I left the original rear storage in place. With the lid turned upright, there's room there for handy grab things like a small shovel, the original jack, set of under-the-tire mats, road flares, a trucker's (reflective) triangle, and other items. Nothing has to get unloaded to open that up. Also, that original jack storage stuff houses HVAC duct work between the two sides of the back area.

I guess my problem is I pack too much crap to fit it all under the floor. There is a lot of room there, but what with an X-Jack, large ARB air compressor, recovery gear, floor jack, jumper cables, tire repair kit, tools, etc., there's no room left for the rest. I like to be set up well enough to live comfortably for three days should I get stranded somewhere. If I should ever blindly follow my GPS into a snowy road to oblivion like the tragic thing that happened in Oregon a few years ago, at least I'll be walking out clothed in a parka with electric heated socks and gloves, a rabbit hat, and snow boots instead of tennis shoes and a windbreaker. I'll be eating beef jerky along the way too.

It does work good now with the bin box idea. I can get into it easy for most often needed stuff, and if it comes out to get to the storage underneath, it's serious. (The Jeep is frame buried, a tire needs pumped up and/or repaired, etc.)

Note that I built mine flush with the original jack storage lid to make a flat floor. It could just as easily be built higher, making for a larger storage underneath the lid. Or lose the OEM jack storage and go all the way back to the hatch door. I came ''this close'' to doing that in the first place.
    Last edited by Adondo; 12-29-2010 at 12:41 PM.

A few more.

My stainless steel ''floor'' for the roof rack. I have a buddy in the scrap business. This is high grade stainless that was a fish screen from Ice Harbor dam. The neatest thing is it reflects the sun's heat, and the interior of the Commander stays ambient on the hottest days, assuming I leave the sunroof in vent mode.

My pre-wired switch setup for the quad set in the dash. I used small wiring because all they do is switch relay coils at all of 0.1 amp.

My wiring loom pathway. I drilled straight thru the multi-layers on the kick panel area, and run the bundle up thru the fender space. Wiring for the coach towing setup is also part of that wiring mass.

Roof rack light wiring:
    Large Molex plug/socket so the rack is removable.
    Last edited by Adondo; 12-29-2010 at 12:53 PM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information