Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Adondo's garage

Senior Member Getting Dirty Adondo's Avatar
    For my next trick...

I just ordered one of these from eBay: http://www.chinavasion.com/product_i...etooth-camera/

It comes preloaded with IGO mapping software: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IGO_%28software%29 The eBay seller loads the mapping package onto it. We emailed back and forth a few times, as he answered a few questions.

The wireless camera is powered by the backup lights, and when it comes alive, the GPS screen switches itself to backup cam mode. I plan on putting my camera on the roof rack, so it'll see the world from 6 feet up. My rear floodlights are already up there, and a handy source of power.

The all-in-one unit will replace my Garmin Nuvi 1300 that's an almost HUD up on the dash. I didn't want to add another monitor somewhere for a backup cam, neither did I want to swap out the feature packed Jeep mirror for a mirror/monitor. I also didn't want to deal with running a camera cable, so the wireless cam will be great.
    2006, 4.7L, QTII, Toyo Wild Country M/T 265/70R17 tires, Ultrasport 175 wheels, Rocky Road 2.25'' lift kit, HID off-road lighting, Surco 50x60 roof rack, Foxwing awning, Superchips performance programming.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Thats pretty cool man I like that.

I already have the USPS tracking number. It's coming from San Diego CA, so hopefully by tomorrow or Saturday. Of course, a USPS tracking number is little better than a wild hairy guess, unlike a UPS tracking number where you can all but watch your box crawl across a map.

I like the 3D relief mapping. My current Garmin Nuvi 1300LMT is a nice unit, but it's ''3D'' maps are nothing more than a laid down flat map. The IGO v8 is a raised relief map. (Hills, buildings etc. stick up) The mapping packages are on SD cards, so if I want to spend extra bux, I can put most anything in up to and including Navtek aviation maps. I looked at a youtube demo of the unit, and it had a Garmin map package as well as the IGO.

I can't tell from the photos if the camera tilts or not. I guess I'll have to see if I need to build a tilting mount since it'll be up on the roof rack. Or... at a 120 degree viewing angle if it'll be good enough as it is. They're made to be a license plate mount, so that means 3 feet from the ground on the XK, and less than 2 feet on a typical car. I think it's going to have to tilt down from the 6+ feet it will be mounted. Backing up off-road will be great with a bird's eye view of what's back there.

Another cool thing I discovered, is it has an FM transmitter. All audio can be piped out that way, so GPS turns, MP3's, audio books, etc. can be heard on the Jeep's stereo system. And, yes, it does say it has an audio book reader. I've discovered a long time ago that a good audio book reduces the miles on a road trip to about 1/4 of what they would seem to be otherwise.
    2006, 4.7L, QTII, Toyo Wild Country M/T 265/70R17 tires, Ultrasport 175 wheels, Rocky Road 2.25'' lift kit, HID off-road lighting, Surco 50x60 roof rack, Foxwing awning, Superchips performance programming.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty strokeZ's Avatar
    Let us know how the install goes and how it all works....very cool find indeed.
    2012 Jeep JKU Rubicon - 4-1/2" AEV lift w 35" Toyo's

03 BMW Z4 2.5i ESS Stage 2 Supercharged, Custom Suspension, Stebro Exhaust, Hamann Side Skirts

85 BMW 535is Lowering springs, bilstein sport shocks, extra attitude

Oh, yeah. And with install pix too.

Here's the eBay seller: http://shop.ebay.com/minigadgets/m.html

Finally got un-busy enough to post these.

The unit... from behind. I modified the bracket to set it down close to the dash. The bracket comes with jointed arms etc., but they added too much length. I also took it apart to lose the suction cup crap. It's screwed down solid. The upper arm piece is screwed right into the lower mounting post. It's a little ugly, but is pretty solid that way.

The camera. It's on the roof rack. I chopped off the ends of the license bracket parts.

The little 2.4 Ghz transmitter is buried in the rubber light housing. I didn't want the ''weatherproof'' claim tested to the limits.

Another view of the camera install.

Looking back. I'm heading for the utility trailer, and it's about 10 feet away. I can see a large patch of ground, also to about 5 feet on each side. The screen switches from whatever its doing upon going into reverse. (And/or the camera powers up) It is color, but we're looking at night here.

A couple of the routing menu doing its ''fly over'' routine. (Notice the hyper speeds shown) You create a route, it will fly over for a preview.

Another view. The road signs always appear whether you're on a route or just driving. They pop up before the exit actually comes into view. You always know where you are. The map has switched to ''overview" mode, and does when upcoming turns get complicated. It's still in ''fly over" mode here.

I love the Igo map package. I just bought the 7'' HD screen version to upgrade the Lowrance 500C in the motorcoach.

**SIGH** I see my Picasa watermark has (c) 2010. I'll have to change it to 20-ELEVEN!!
    Last edited by Adondo; 01-31-2011 at 04:48 PM.

Here's an online manual for Igo version 8. http://www.scribd.com/doc/35766823/i...ual-English-UK

It's a VERY NICE map package. The above photos show it in night mode. It changes (via GPS local/time) between a light day mode, to the dark colored (easy on the eyeballs) night mode.

The lower bar has running numbers on each side. Those are house numbers. The text in the middle is the road you're on. Main roads in a town/city are in yellow, side streets are gray. Highways red and freeways are in blue. The 3D mapping really is... overpasses are raised up with shadows underneath, hills/valleys really are. It's not just a laid down "paper" map like most ''3D" GPS's.

The ''bubble'' on the upper left is the upcoming turn. The box underneath is the turn after that, so you're always two maneuvers ahead. (In my photos it shows a stop button for the flyover playback)

The warnings include speed limits. (For main roads anyway) Exceed it, and a voice says so, as well as a limit sign pops up on the screen. You can set the tolerance.

In case you can't tell, I really like the Igo mapping software. I looked, a Nuvi has to get into the $499 range for lane assist and terrain mapping. (The popping up green road signs are what Garmin calls Lane assist)

The screen on the unit is actually over 5 inches, mine measures at 5 1/8'' It's only about 1/2'' thick, and weighs just about nothing. The OS is WindowsCE 6.0 embedded. You exit the embedded software, and you have the usual Windows 98 desktop and start button. Great for power users.
    Last edited by Adondo; 01-31-2011 at 05:14 PM.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty strokeZ's Avatar
    Looks pretty cool! That is going to be uber helpful when you go trekking about!!
    2012 Jeep JKU Rubicon - 4-1/2" AEV lift w 35" Toyo's

03 BMW Z4 2.5i ESS Stage 2 Supercharged, Custom Suspension, Stebro Exhaust, Hamann Side Skirts

85 BMW 535is Lowering springs, bilstein sport shocks, extra attitude

Here's the new motorcoach GPS. It's from the same eBay seller, except this is the 7" screen HD version. (800x480 resolution)

The "before" with the Lowrance iWay 500C

The "after" with the new unit running in night mode. (Darker color scheme)

A side view of the ultra thin 8 oz. unit. I didn't get a "before" of the 2 inch thick, 5lb. iWay 500C.

The bracket is one I made. It's 3/16'' thick steel, and was built to handle the heavy 500C. The original ball mount that came with it wouldn't hold it solid enough. I used pop rivets to secure the new GPS's snap-bracket to the steel bracket.

Here's an overall view of the driver's position. The TV set above also acts as my rear view monitor.

Here's an updated photo, taken today while I was on Joe Butte working on a radio system for an ambulance company.

I got the front window tinting done Tuesday. I can't roll the windows down until the weekend. I do like the look of the front tint, and it certainly blocks out the sun's heat.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information