Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Factory Skid Plates

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty strokeZ's Avatar

Factory Skid Plates

I was just quoted $465 for the gas tank skid plate by the local stealer, but see it on line for around $200. Can anyone explain the possible reason for the difference in price?
    2012 Jeep JKU Rubicon - 4-1/2" AEV lift w 35" Toyo's

03 BMW Z4 2.5i ESS Stage 2 Supercharged, Custom Suspension, Stebro Exhaust, Hamann Side Skirts

85 BMW 535is Lowering springs, bilstein sport shocks, extra attitude

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    I do think I paid just under $200 for mine as well, just make sure it is the skid plate with the mount for the transmission plate. $465 might be the complete package.
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Yeah I just found it online for around $230 delivered. Not sure how the install will go but looks a little tricky - time and patience I guess. I have all the skids except that one. Dealer claims $200 for delivery from CA which is quite high so they must be doing 2nd day delivery or something.

03 BMW Z4 2.5i ESS Stage 2 Supercharged, Custom Suspension, Stebro Exhaust, Hamann Side Skirts

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    There charging you for delivery and the install hours because you have to drop the gas tank to put it on. I've seen them as low as $150 so just do it your self man. I like to get quotes on service then do it my self and add up my cost and then laugh at how much money I save. I put top end brakes on my wifes car and bought jack stands and still saved $300 doing it myself $300 in my pocket blows my mind.

Yeah and then I also look at it like this - so I need some tools to do the install and even if it costs the same I leave with a job well done and tools to boot! I have seen people quote on the other forum that they have had it installed for $40. The install instructions quote 1/2 hour to do the job, so that might be right, but seems really low to me.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    I did pay to have that one installed but I do not rememebr what I paid any longer (it was 4 years ago).
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

The cool thing is you don't have to buy new tools unless you want to. The parts store usually has a wide variety of loaner tools that people usually don't have in there box. I used this doing my wifes breaks, I had a caliper compression tool but the wrong kind for her car. Just went back to Autozone and borrowed the right tool and done in no time.

True! I have borrowed spring compressors / etc from those places from time to time. I usually do that comparison when working on the BMW (hard to find loaner tools for many of the quirky fittings). I love to get my hands dirty, unless time is a factor.

One thing I really like about the XK's is that they are pretty easy to work on and there is lots of room!

Just to close the thread, installing the fuel tank plate was a major PITA!!! Took most of the day and I had my dunce cap on a few times. What made it really hard was that the superlift drivers side rear arm attachment blocked me from getting to a bolt so it had to come off as well.

Does anyone know if the 4xguard front skid is compatible with the stock skids. It looks like it is from the pics.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information