Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Factory Skid Plates

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty strokeZ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by superacerc View Post
    Having spent a considerable time under my commander lately I have come to realize that I alrady have the metal tank skid plate!! Yay. It already has a few minor dents in it (as does my muffler, well the muffler has more than a few).
    Do you have the holes for the transfer skid plate to mount to? If not, then you have a thin plate that was not designed for offroading. I had the same thing and it was pretty flimsy when I removed it. You basically need to remove the thin one to put the thicker one on.
    2012 Jeep JKU Rubicon - 4-1/2" AEV lift w 35" Toyo's

03 BMW Z4 2.5i ESS Stage 2 Supercharged, Custom Suspension, Stebro Exhaust, Hamann Side Skirts

85 BMW 535is Lowering springs, bilstein sport shocks, extra attitude

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    strokeZ where did you order you skids from?

Senior Member Getting Dirty superacerc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by strokeZ View Post
    Do you have the holes for the transfer skid plate to mount to? If not, then you have a thin plate that was not designed for offroading. I had the same thing and it was pretty flimsy when I removed it. You basically need to remove the thin one to put the thicker one on.
    You know i think you're right. It's still steel but I don't see holes for the other skid plate.
    2007 Commander 4.7L, QTII, OEM Towing Option, tow hooks, 2"OME + 1/4" rusty's leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shks, Rear sway bar removed, 4xguard front skid, Offroad Unlimited Defender Roof Rack, Hella 500FF lights, 265/70/R17 BFG KM2 M/Ts 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers
    http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...acerc-s-Garage

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty strokeZ's Avatar
    I picked up the front and xfer skids local in town (got em while they were having a Jeep show and on special for $25 ea). I ordered the fuel tank plate from Savage Jeep parts. I think their address is www.jparts.com All in all it was $228 delivered to my door ($189 plus shipping).
    2012 Jeep JKU Rubicon - 4-1/2" AEV lift w 35" Toyo's

03 BMW Z4 2.5i ESS Stage 2 Supercharged, Custom Suspension, Stebro Exhaust, Hamann Side Skirts

85 BMW 535is Lowering springs, bilstein sport shocks, extra attitude

Quote Originally Posted by strokeZ View Post
    I picked up the front and xfer skids local in town (got em while they were having a Jeep show and on special for $25 ea).
    LUCKY!!!

Thanks for the link some how with all my saved sites with XK parts I missed that one

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty IamJEEP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Both the Belly Guard and the Front Guard 4 are fully compatible with not having the factory skids.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal-XK View Post

IamJEEP: I would say yes but I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong. On the other hand I would get the factory skids no matter what. To bad 4xGuard don't make factory skids I'm sure they would be lighter and stronger, stronger for sure.
    So I won't be "fully" protected by just installing the 4XGuard skids?
    ****Uwharrie Aprroved****
    2006 Commander Sport- 3.7L- 4X4*Inferno Red Crystal Pearl*Rocky Road 2.25" lift *"Limited" Color-Matched Rear Grab Handles*Mopar Hitch/Harness*4xGaurd Matrix w/Fogs*Rear Bumper Lights*Tinted Front Side Markers*MHT Fuel Hostage 17x8.5 +14ET*Nitto Terra Graplers 265/70/17*
    --------->My Garage<------------------

RAGE ROOF RACK MEMBER #2
    Quote Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
    Then I drove her hard for about 45 mins.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty El Cid's Avatar
    We designed our armor to complement the plates that were already available for the vehicle. We wanted to fill in the gaps, if you will. So, yes, if you want "full coverage," you add ours to theirs.

The reason for this is pretty simple: We're a small company with a finite amount of resources (time and money, in other words) to devote to things that can be covered otherwise.

To look at it another way, 4xGuard was founded out of basic self-centeredness. We build the things we think we need for our vehicles, and then we'll offer the ones that work and are marketable up for sale. So rather than labor over replacement skidplates -- thanks, Sal, for thinking we could do it better if we did -- we labor over the other things that we think we need but can't otherwise get. That's why we're preparing the Rear Sliders for market at the moment, rather than another fuel tank skid or the like.

I hope that makes sense.
    Mike
    2006 5.7L Limited, Inferno Red, QDII, and all goodies. Modified Superlift 4" lift-kit, B.F.G. 285/70R17 A/Ts (1.25" spacers), Aries tail-light guards, AVS ventvisors, KC Hilites off-road lights, and from 4xGuard: Belly Guard, Front Guard 4, Matrix brush guard with Receiver and Grill Hoop, Rear Diff Guard, Rear Guard 2, Rear Sliders, and Side Guards.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty IamJEEP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    We designed our armor to complement the plates that were already available for the vehicle. We wanted to fill in the gaps, if you will. So, yes, if you want "full coverage," you add ours to theirs.

The reason for this is pretty simple: We're a small company with a finite amount of resources (time and money, in other words) to devote to things that can be covered otherwise.

To look at it another way, 4xGuard was founded out of basic self-centeredness. We build the things we think we need for our vehicles, and then we'll offer the ones that work and are marketable up for sale. So rather than labor over replacement skidplates -- thanks, Sal, for thinking we could do it better if we did -- we labor over the other things that we think we need but can't otherwise get. That's why we're preparing the Rear Sliders for market at the moment, rather than another fuel tank skid or the like.

I hope that makes sense.
    Yes it does, thank you.
    ****Uwharrie Aprroved****
    2006 Commander Sport- 3.7L- 4X4*Inferno Red Crystal Pearl*Rocky Road 2.25" lift *"Limited" Color-Matched Rear Grab Handles*Mopar Hitch/Harness*4xGaurd Matrix w/Fogs*Rear Bumper Lights*Tinted Front Side Markers*MHT Fuel Hostage 17x8.5 +14ET*Nitto Terra Graplers 265/70/17*
    --------->My Garage<------------------

RAGE ROOF RACK MEMBER #2
    Quote Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
    Then I drove her hard for about 45 mins.

I just ordered my factory skids from Jparts.com they were the cheapest I could find. I also bought new floor mats to qualify for free shipping so I actually only paid $14 for new floor mats. I wish the had a better selection of stuff to spend the extra $50 to get free shipping. They didn't have any tow straps D-Rings nothing like that. Oh well, at least now I will be fully armored for east coast camp commander!!!!!!!!!!!

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    <------ that guy right there. Yeah... he's jealous....

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information