Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any Black Rifle Fans out there?

Senior Member Getting Dirty superacerc's Avatar
    Beautiful rifles.
    2007 Commander 4.7L, QTII, OEM Towing Option, tow hooks, 2"OME + 1/4" rusty's leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shks, Rear sway bar removed, 4xguard front skid, Offroad Unlimited Defender Roof Rack, Hella 500FF lights, 265/70/R17 BFG KM2 M/Ts 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers
    http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...acerc-s-Garage

Senior Member Getting Dirty The_War_Wagon's Avatar

Exclamation

I'm hoping Jeeps turn out to be cheaper!
    '07 Jeep Commander, Rocky Mountain Edition - 287 V-8 - Superchipped - aFe Stage II R-5A CAI - Flowmaster Super 44 - 2" Daystar lift - Spidertrax spacers - 32x10.5x17 Cooper A/T's - Fastman throttlebody - Skyjacker 8000 shocks

Senior Member Getting Dirty ped4599's Avatar
    I too these same types of 'black rifles'....an AR15 and a Rem PSS .308...etc

I have a question for anyone who has time to take a few photos for me. If possible post a photo of the your AR's lower receiver with an empty mag inserted. I am looking at the bolt catch in relation to the mag follower. I recently went to switch all my mag over to PMAG and have had troubles. I have a bushmaster lower receiver and the bolt catch standard finger seems to just a bit short for the Pmag since they are different spec and have smaller followers. I searched many gun forums and found this has been an issue with some brand of ARs. I saw that the fix was often changing over to COLT parts. So i did. I get the whole bolt catch assembly from Brownells and got supposedly COLT brand parts. It did help, but I still have issues with a couple of my Pmags. I cant really just blame those few pmags and chalk it up to a "few bad mags in the bunch" since those same mag will work in my peers' ARs of a different brand (S/W). Those with the Smith set up only run Pmags, and have done so over and over with out fail. I guess there is just enough of a spec difference i guess. For now I am staying with all my standard mag til I find solution and can prove that i can trust the other set up.

Just wondering if anyone here happens to have run across this issue. I DPMS was the other brand that was having issues with Pmags.
    2010 Black LIMITED HEMI, Quadra DRIVE II, 2.25 inch RR lift, Off road tires (in garage) MAXXIS 265/70-17 on RUBI rims, 1.5 inch Spydertrax spacers, 4xguard: EVERYTHING I CAN GET MY HANDS ON! ROLA roof rack, RUGGED RIDGE 8500 synthetic winch, and a car seat with a CUTE backseat driver.

Well... if you've read enough forums (and of those that are out there, I'D read M4C and call it a day. I'm a mod at another forum, and I go to M4C when I need the STRAIGHT dope!), you KNOW that BM and DPMS both have their share of "issues." An out-of-spec lower is not beyond the realm of possibility, and switching over to Colt boltcatches still might not make your pinholes line up correctly, for instance.

I had a factory new Gen.III POF lower, that STILL had problems with early PMags sticking, and even Rev. 'M' mags wouldn't drop free, so poorly spec'd lowers are NOT limited to your cheaper brands. On the other hand, my BCM lowers eat EVERYTHING, which is probably why I have them in three of my four 5.56 rifles at the moment.

I don't have any mag-in-lower pics at the moment (I'll see if I can't snap one soon, of my STS Arms lower with a mag - I'm waiting on a custom upper still to arrive for it), but it might be worth having a competent 'smitty look at your lower, and see if its the mag, or the lower. Bolt catchs are the ultimate PITA when it comes to DIY - I'd never feel bad about spending money to have one installed RIGHT!
    '07 Jeep Commander, Rocky Mountain Edition - 287 V-8 - Superchipped - aFe Stage II R-5A CAI - Flowmaster Super 44 - 2" Daystar lift - Spidertrax spacers - 32x10.5x17 Cooper A/T's - Fastman throttlebody - Skyjacker 8000 shocks

Senior Member Getting Dirty superacerc's Avatar
    I ve got an aim surplus lower (read; extra cheap) and have no issues with the p mags.
    2007 Commander 4.7L, QTII, OEM Towing Option, tow hooks, 2"OME + 1/4" rusty's leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shks, Rear sway bar removed, 4xguard front skid, Offroad Unlimited Defender Roof Rack, Hella 500FF lights, 265/70/R17 BFG KM2 M/Ts 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers
    http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...acerc-s-Garage

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    When ever we have a mag stick or double feed or anything happens just once we break it and throw it out.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Sal-XK View Post
    When ever we have a mag stick or double feed or anything happens just once we break it and throw it out.
    The mag? Or the lower?

And besides, that's what the "for sale" section of gunboards are for!

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post
    The mag? Or the lower?

And besides, that's what the "for sale" section of gunboards are for!
    Either one We send back anything that don't work we can't afford to have any issues at all. I remember once our budget was low and my lazer was on the fritz I put a screw driver threw it and dead lined it and got a new one LOL

Senior Member Getting Dirty NeilSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    My AR is an older Oly Arms upper and lower and I have no problems with the Pmags sorry no pics, too busy drinking right now to fool w/ a rifle. LOL !! Sal you guys cant afford any feed issues at all Bro! Make sure your guys are safe please.
    '07 Commander 3.7 V6
    2" Rough Country Lift with Vision Warriors and Goodyear Duratracs 245/75R17
    BajaRack Mega-Mule with KC Daylighters
    http://s624.photobucket.com/albums/t...cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

Senior Member Getting Dirty ped4599's Avatar
    thanks for your reply.
    I replaced the bolt catch with all colt parts. it helped but did not fix the problem. I do believe the lower is probably out of spec a bit. I have a second rifle that has the same identical lower unit that I gave to my brother. I was able to look at it over the holiday we i was back and it seemed to be working fine all the way around. BUT its like new. I don't think it has had much use, where as i carry mine on duty everyday, and have range qual/training 4-5 times a year, so it has been used. I think I will have the lower fixed or just get new one. I can not afford to have any doubts as to how it will perform.
    2010 Black LIMITED HEMI, Quadra DRIVE II, 2.25 inch RR lift, Off road tires (in garage) MAXXIS 265/70-17 on RUBI rims, 1.5 inch Spydertrax spacers, 4xguard: EVERYTHING I CAN GET MY HANDS ON! ROLA roof rack, RUGGED RIDGE 8500 synthetic winch, and a car seat with a CUTE backseat driver.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information