View Poll Results: What smart phone is better?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Droid

12 85.71%
  • iPhone

1 7.14%
  • Blackberry

0 0%
  • Other (please explain in your post)

1 7.14%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Verizon: iPhone vs. Droid?

Administrator
    Blog Entries

Verizon: iPhone vs. Droid?

Verizon announced today that they will start selling the iphone, my question is this:

I want a smart phone and I currently have service with Verizon, should I get the iPhone or the Droid?

By PETER SVENSSON
    AP Technology Writer

NEW YORK (AP) - Verizon Wireless made the long-awaited announcement Tuesday that it will start selling a version of the iPhone 4 on Feb. 10, giving U.S. iPhone buyers a choice of carriers for the first time. Since its 2007 debut, Apple Inc.'s phone has been sold exclusively for AT&T's network in the U.S.

Verizon Communications Inc.'s chief operating officer, Lowell McAdam, made the announcement in New York, joined by Apple COO Tim Cook, who called it "the beginning of a great relationship between Verizon and Apple."

Pre-orders for existing Verizon customers will start Feb. 3. The price will be $200 or $300 with a two-year contract, depending on the model, about the same as the iPhone through AT&T. It will be sold through Verizon, Apple and other stores nationwide, as well as over the Internet.

Verizon issued its press release at 11:11 a.m. on Jan. 11, 2011, or 1/11/11.

AT&T activated 11.1 million iPhones in the first nine months of 2010. Analysts now expect Verizon to snag some users from AT&T, but the impact will likely be muted because most iPhone users have two-year contracts, and many are on family and employer plans. Verizon did not reveal its service plan pricing on Tuesday.

Verizon's iPhone version will work only on the carrier's current "3G" network even though the carrier has fired up a faster "4G" network in many cities. That super-fast wireless data network is available only to plug-in laptop modems for now, but Verizon will have smart phones for it this summer from other manufacturers, including Motorola Mobility Inc.

Cook said the first generation of "4G" phone chips would have forced some design compromises, which Apple wasn't willing to make.

"Secondly and most importantly, Verizon customers have told us they want the iPhone now," Cook said. "I can't tell you the number of times I've been asked and my colleagues have been asked . When will the iPhone work on the Verizon network?"

The lack of 4G means the Verizon iPhone will have much slower data speeds than AT&T's, at least in the areas where AT&T has upgraded its 3G network. AT&T spokesman Mark Siegel was quick to point this out, along with the fact that users won't be able to surf and talk at the same time on the Verizon iPhone. International roaming will also be very limited compared with the AT&T version.

However, Verizon has much wider domestic 3G coverage than AT&T does, especially in the interior of the country. In the big cities of the coasts, iPhone service can be spotty because of crowding on AT&T's network.

Though Verizon Wireless is the largest wireless carrier in the country, with 93.2 million subscribers, it has been losing out to AT&T in the battle to sign up high-paying smart-phone subscribers because of AT&T's iPhone exclusivity. In the last few years, Verizon has promoted phones with Google Inc.'s Android operating system as its alternative to the iPhone.

Cook wouldn't say if Verizon will get the iPhone 5 when it debuts this summer, if Apple follows its regular once-a-year upgrade schedule.

Verizon's iPhone 4 is identical in form and function to AT&T's but has one feature AT&T's does not: It can act as a portable Wi-Fi "hot spot," connecting up to five laptops or other devices to Verizon's 3G network through Wi-Fi. It's a feature that's been offered on other smart phones, usually for an added monthly fee.

The Verizon iPhone is the first one that works on so-called "CDMA" networks, a standard also employed by Sprint Nextel Corp. and carriers in China and South Korea. Cook said the phone wouldn't be exclusive to Verizon, but he didn't say what other carriers might get it. Analysts don't expect Sprint to sell it.

Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of New York-based Verizon Communications and Vodafone Group PLC.

Shares in Verizon Communications fell 82 cents, or 2.3 percent, to $35.10 in afternoon trading Tuesday. The shares are still close to a two-year high of $37.70, set last week. Apple shares lost $1.20, or 0.4 percent, to $341.29, while AT&T lost 53 cents, or 1.9 percent, to $27.81.
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Senior Member Getting Dirty Adondo's Avatar
    Well, actually, yes to Droid. But... my ''other'' was in reference to Android phones in general, the Droid being one of the leaders. (As are the Evo, Epic, etc. along with the Droid) There are some low end Android phones too, such as the Samsung Interceptor, but they get bad reviews. (Not enough processor or memory to be worthy)

Advantages to Android:

It's basically a mobile version of Linux, need I say more?

"Open" operating system, not closed loop. Lots of free apps.

The top end power phones can run in open GL mode (Video hardware) for 3D gaming etc. (Just like many desktop machines) If you don't believe it, find someone who has X-Plane (the flight sim) installed on their Android phone. (Wow!)

Removable/replaceable batteries.

Micro SD memory cards for expansion. BB's and iWhatever? What it has, it has.
    Last edited by Adondo; 01-12-2011 at 02:34 PM.
    2006, 4.7L, QTII, Toyo Wild Country M/T 265/70R17 tires, Ultrasport 175 wheels, Rocky Road 2.25'' lift kit, HID off-road lighting, Surco 50x60 roof rack, Foxwing awning, Superchips performance programming.

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    I've said my piece on the other forum. I'll just say Android.

Sal - I looked up X-Plane, sorry $10 is too much for me right now. Looks cool though.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    My contract is up with Verizon on May 5th and I am going to get me a smart phone so I though I would bump this thread and see if anyone has any new thoughts on this subject, I am consdering the new 4G phone or the Droid X
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Senior Member Getting Dirty cico7's Avatar
    I cant say Android X is better than the iphone, but I am happy with my Android X. Like many phones,
    the X has things the other Androids do not.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    I am currently looking at the Thunderbolt by HTC

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    After what I posted about the Iphone 4 apple has gone to far this time. It's anyone's guess what's next from them. I Recommend going with the anything running the droid software.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    I'm impartial to any brand...

I see absolutely NO benefit to the iphone, not a single one.

I'm an Android fan; plenty of phones/features to choose from as well.

Member Looking for Dirt bigmaninds's Avatar
    I do have to say iphone. I am a Verizon customer and I did check out the android but was not impressed with it so I got the iphone. The features that I like are that my home computer, my work computer (which are all Mac), my iphone are all in sync. If I need a file from any one of those computers and I have my phone I can get that file super quick. The operating system on my iphone is super quick. Its small, sleek, and compatible with my other computers. Thumbs Up iphone.

Senior Member Getting Dirty superacerc's Avatar
    The Droid x is the one I fancy. It has a mechanical shuttered 8mp camera and 720HD video recorder built in. My contract comes up around june and that's what I'm planning on switching my BlackBerry Storm out for. The nicer Androids are also WIFI hotspots for up to 5 laptops!!!! How cool is that(and you don't have to pay for it). The phone acts as a portable router (like having a data card) streaming from the Cell broadband and broadcasting by regular wifi to your wireless capable PC. You can add a 32gb card for some hefty memory holding as well.

Apple has no removable memory, you can't use it as a router, you have to pay for most everything worth having, and you have to either have apple products to use it to it's full potential (which I don't) or use Itunes which sadly doesn't work on my two linux based laptops. Don't get me wrong though the Apple is a nice piece of machinery just not as versatile.
    Last edited by superacerc; 04-22-2011 at 06:15 AM.
    2007 Commander 4.7L, QTII, OEM Towing Option, tow hooks, 2"OME + 1/4" rusty's leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shks, Rear sway bar removed, 4xguard front skid, Offroad Unlimited Defender Roof Rack, Hella 500FF lights, 265/70/R17 BFG KM2 M/Ts 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers
    http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...acerc-s-Garage

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information