View Poll Results: What smart phone is better?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Droid

12 85.71%
  • iPhone

1 7.14%
  • Blackberry

0 0%
  • Other (please explain in your post)

1 7.14%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Verizon: iPhone vs. Droid?

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty XK N00b's Avatar
    I have the Droid X and love it. I switched up from the BlackBerry Storm, I wont be shocked to see BlackBerry go out of business, or just be a manufacturer of Android phones soon. Only issue I've had with my Droid is, it didn't work when I went to London and Paris a few weeks ago because it doesn't have a SIM card. Other than that, it's awesome!
    2008 Overland in Black
    Loaded, Leather, 5.7 Hemi QDII,
    All 3 MOPAR Skids, VEC, Tow Pkg., 2" Rough Country Lift, 1 1/4" Spidertrax spacers, 255/75/17 BFG M/T's, Flowmaster 50 series muffler

Senior Member Getting Dirty superacerc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by XK N00b View Post
    I have the Droid X and love it. I switched up from the BlackBerry Storm, I wont be shocked to see BlackBerry go out of business, or just be a manufacturer of Android phones soon. Only issue I've had with my Droid is, it didn't work when I went to London and Paris a few weeks ago because it doesn't have a SIM card. Other than that, it's awesome!
    That was the only drawback i found with the X. The Droid 2 is international capable and has a faster processor (1.2ghz instead of 1 ghz) and a the pull out keyboard. However i like the larger screen and the camera on the x. I do go overseas on occasion and would like to have the 2 for that reason but I use the camera on a daily basis and would benefit more from that. My black berry is capable of being overseas so i'll just keep the phone for if I need it. (just have to have it unlocked at a roadside phone boutique in europe and buy the sim card for whatever country I'm in).
    2007 Commander 4.7L, QTII, OEM Towing Option, tow hooks, 2"OME + 1/4" rusty's leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shks, Rear sway bar removed, 4xguard front skid, Offroad Unlimited Defender Roof Rack, Hella 500FF lights, 265/70/R17 BFG KM2 M/Ts 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers
    http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...acerc-s-Garage

Senior Member Getting Dirty cico7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by superacerc View Post
    The Droid x.... what I'm planning on switching my BlackBerry Storm out for. The nicer Androids are also WIFI hotspots for up to 5 laptops!!!! How cool is that(and you don't have to pay for it). The phone acts as a portable router (like having a data card) streaming from the Cell ............
    i have the X as well but i went with the mifi for free. If you have to pay for the service (unlike some people) it was cheaper to
    get the mifi free and monthly fee than to add it to the phone.

? I didn't think you have to pay for the wifi hotspot ability. It's on my wife's android phone and I don't think we pay for it. It's on the unlimited plan.
    2007 Commander 4.7L, QTII, OEM Towing Option, tow hooks, 2"OME + 1/4" rusty's leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shks, Rear sway bar removed, 4xguard front skid, Offroad Unlimited Defender Roof Rack, Hella 500FF lights, 265/70/R17 BFG KM2 M/Ts 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers

I just tried the hotspot ability and it wants to charge me a 20 dollar/month connection fee. They act like it's free by saying its a free app. My wife's phone has only recently had this feature since the software update and that's why I haden't yet tried it. I would still add the ability to the phone when i get it though as it's my family's company's phone and i don't recieve the bill. So I like to get the bells and whistles. I believe there is a way to circumvent the charge though. Maybe i'll do some research.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    I really want the wifi but wish it was included in the price, you already pay more to use a smart phone.
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

There is a way to circumvent the charge but it involves rooting the phone which is basically reflashing the operating system to use a completly open and unlocked version of the android OS. You then install a free tethering service which goes around the verizon issue. It voids the warranty however and you no longer have auto updates and can also go wrong screwing up the whole phone when you are reflashing the OS. It does work supposedly though. Don't know if i'd be brave and nerdy enough to try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by superacerc View Post
    There is a way to circumvent the charge ..... Don't know if i'd be brave and nerdy enough to try it out.
    Yeah, the app is free. I pay about 15 a month for the mifi connection.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty pjmjr508's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Knappster View Post
    My contract is up with Verizon on May 5th and I am going to get me a smart phone so I though I would bump this thread and see if anyone has any new thoughts on this subject, I am consdering the new 4G phone or the Droid X
    Before you go Droid X you should look at the thunder bolt. it is on the LTE platform which will give you a lot better speeds for upload & download. It's a Droid, you can't go wrong with it. Here is the thing you do need to know with the droid thoe, the battery life SUCKS!!!!!!!!! Other than that you can dfo what ever you want with it. Now you asked Iphone or Droid, thats a question your the only one that can trully answer & because it is based on what your need is. If you are a strong biz user then droid would be better then the iphone, if you are just the casuale user then iphone will work for you. The best is to go play with both.

I have the thunderbolt & completely love it except for the battery life
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

X

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information