Thread: Blower motor replacement

Blower motor replacement

I think blower motor on my Jeep Commander went out. It makes a very annoying ticking noise when it's on, louder and faster as the fan speed is increased. Just wondering how much difficult is to access the blower motor? Last year I changed blower motor on my Jeep Liberty and that was relatively easy, but I've never done it on Commander at all. Can anyone point me in the right direction and shed some lights on blower motor replacement?

Thanks..

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    This should help:

Quote Originally Posted by Bart R. Orlans View Post
    I took mine out this afternoon and it was quite simple.

First, open and then remove the glove box. To do this, unsnap the slider on the outide of the box and then flex the two stops on the upper edge of the box. The left one is easier than the right. Once the box is released from the stops, you can snap it off the hinge pins by pushing upwards on the glove box door where the hing pins pass through it. Remove the two screws that hold the black bottom cover from the dash panel. Pull it down while rotating it counter-clockwise to remove it.

Now that the glove box and lower panel are out of the way, you can look straight in and see the connector for the fan power leeds. Mine had one green and one black wire coming from it. It is hooked onto the side of the heater plenum just above the blower resistor. By pressing on the lower part of the connector, you can unplug it. You can slide the connector up and off of the plenum so you can get a better grip on it to pull it apart.

With the wires unplugged, using a T20 torx bit, remove the three screws that attach the blower to the bottom of the plenum. It may be easier to remove the lamp from the bottom of the dash panel to access one of the blower motor screws, but I managed to get it done without removing it.

That's all there is to it. My fan was not working either. I took it out, removed the plastic housing from the motor with a T15 torx bit and cleaned the commutator area on the fan motor where the brushes make contact with a rifling file and convinced it to work. The contact area was very dark and shiny so it may have been making bad contact. Anyway, I have heat on every fan speed now and am pretty pleased with myself.

This is not a hard job as long as you are patient and gentle with the plastic parts. I think I had mine out in 10 or 15 minutes...mostly because I move pretty slow.
    Copied from another Jeep Commander Forum
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Thread Information