Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Front XK Tow Hooks

Front XK Tow Hooks

Has anybody installed a set of front tow hooks on their XK? I see you can buy 100 dollar OEM Mopar ones....Would a set of 10 dollar ones work from the location parts place? Could someone take a pic of their OEM ones so I could compare to the Pronto ones? Don't want to sound cheap, but $10 sounds better then 100 bones to me anyday! Thanks in advance!
    | 2010 Commander Limited | Black Metallic | 5.7L V8 HEMI | QTII | K&N CAI + Prefilter | 20% Front Window Tint | MOPAR Chrome Gas Cap | AVS Vent Shades | MOPAR Chrome Grill | MOPAR Stainless Steel Door Entry Guard | MOPAR front tow hooks | Chrome Door Handles | 2" RC LIFT | 265/60R18 Hankook DynaPro ATM |

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    I ended up taking mine off when I installed my new front bumper so I cannot take pictures but I know others have installed the cheaper ones but I can tell you that the OEM ones mount with three bolts and the aftermarket will not be as sturdy as they do not connect the same way. I could be wrong but I think Cico7 installed aftermarket hooks.
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty strokeZ's Avatar
    From a hook perspective they are practically the same....some aftermarket hooks will be in with the open end down as opposed to up on the OEM. I don't think that really matters (D-rings would be optimal). What does matter is that you will have to be creative just a bit on finding mount points for the aftermarket and may have to cut into the front bumper. OEM are essentially plug and play. Its not terribly difficult either way.
    2012 Jeep JKU Rubicon - 4-1/2" AEV lift w 35" Toyo's

03 BMW Z4 2.5i ESS Stage 2 Supercharged, Custom Suspension, Stebro Exhaust, Hamann Side Skirts

85 BMW 535is Lowering springs, bilstein sport shocks, extra attitude

i actually had a rear tow hook from my tj i found. it bolted right in. i have it on the driver side. haven't had to try it out yet but looks like it'll get the job done? all i needed to do was to take the front bumper fascia off and cut a little piece off so that the facia would sit flush with the hook.

The factory tow hooks are pretty heavy duty compared to some of the after market ones and installation is simple as there is no drilling or modifications required. They are bolted to the front frame through an access plate behind the bumper. They fit nicely and the bumper/ tow hook clearance keeps tow straps in place if readjusting the vehicle for a different angle pull. I pondered the cheap ones and once I saw the Mopar ones in person I bought them. I will post a picture when I have a chance tomorrow (too dark right now). I personally recommend the Mopar ones unless you can get something made up that allows a D-ring.
    Old: 2006 Base, 4.7L, QT-II
    New: 2010 Sport, 5.7L, QT-II, Front Tow Hooks, Tow Package and 7 pin Mopar Harness ( Spliced 4 pin into harness), Mopar Skid Plates

Senior Member Getting Dirty superacerc's Avatar
    I did the cheap ones. just look at my garage to get a pic of what they look like. you can tell I cut my bumper and i did it in a hurry as the mosquitos were killing me. I have yet to go under to make it prettier but have never really noticed it. The only pulling i've done with mine so far is letting my boy scouts pull my jeep around the parking lot in a man vs machine tug o war (just in neutral).
    2007 Commander 4.7L, QTII, OEM Towing Option, tow hooks, 2"OME + 1/4" rusty's leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shks, Rear sway bar removed, 4xguard front skid, Offroad Unlimited Defender Roof Rack, Hella 500FF lights, 265/70/R17 BFG KM2 M/Ts 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers
    http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...acerc-s-Garage

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    I have the cheap ones sitting in the garage. I plan on using them and bolting them up with grade 8 bolts. If you look up the specs for these bolts there is no way I could break them (150k lbs per square inch)the frame were there attached would fail first.

Senior Member Getting Dirty superacerc's Avatar
    ^x2. The frame is going to be the fail point far quicker than the tow hooks. I did have to drill my own holes behind the first hole. Over all including bumper removal it took me 35-45 minutes.
    2007 Commander 4.7L, QTII, OEM Towing Option, tow hooks, 2"OME + 1/4" rusty's leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shks, Rear sway bar removed, 4xguard front skid, Offroad Unlimited Defender Roof Rack, Hella 500FF lights, 265/70/R17 BFG KM2 M/Ts 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers
    http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...acerc-s-Garage

Thanks for all the great info and advice! Looking forward to pics from wookie...Just want to see the layout of the bolt holes...I like what people are saying...there is much to be said about OEM, lots of R&D goes into those things, prolly more then a $10 set of "fits most vehicles" tow hooks. I do like the idea of a set of D-rings...Maybe that’s what I will try....Anyway, need for it to warm up a bit before I try anything in my garage! Thanks again and will update as my decision is made and the install starts!
    | 2010 Commander Limited | Black Metallic | 5.7L V8 HEMI | QTII | K&N CAI + Prefilter | 20% Front Window Tint | MOPAR Chrome Gas Cap | AVS Vent Shades | MOPAR Chrome Grill | MOPAR Stainless Steel Door Entry Guard | MOPAR front tow hooks | Chrome Door Handles | 2" RC LIFT | 265/60R18 Hankook DynaPro ATM |

Here are some pics of the Mopar Tow Hooks.

The tow hooks are bolted to a mount that in turn is sandwiched to the frame with the stud mount plate. Another plus is if your ever decide to go with the Matrix 4XGuard it bolts up to the factory tow hook stud plate.
    Old: 2006 Base, 4.7L, QT-II
    New: 2010 Sport, 5.7L, QT-II, Front Tow Hooks, Tow Package and 7 pin Mopar Harness ( Spliced 4 pin into harness), Mopar Skid Plates

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information