• July 27 - Trail Run & Events

9 90.00%
  • July 28 - Trail Run & Events

8 80.00%
  • July 29 - Departure

8 80.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: West Coast Camp Commander 2011 / July 24 - 29 / Buena Vista Colorado (Pre-Event)

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by strokeZ View Post
    No site number becuase I reserved a 1 room Kabin. One or perhaps both of my daughters will be joining me and I think that is as rough as they can handle it. Too bad they don't take Hilton or Marriott points hehe....I could stay for free!
    Okay, they do have cabin numbers but it is no biggie, hopefully it is #8. (4 and 5 are close too) 6 & 7 are two room units.
    Last edited by Knappster; 01-31-2011 at 01:17 PM.
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Administrator
    Blog Entries

Exclamation More information about the Cabins

Thought I would throw out a little more information about the Cabins for those who are considering that option as well:

CABINS
    1 Room Cabin Sleeps 4
    1 Double Bed & 2 Single Bunk Beds
    Electric Lights
    Electric Heat is Available
    Bring Your Own Bedding
    Hot Showers and Restrooms in Main Building
    No Cooking Inside Cabins
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

Administrator
    Blog Entries

Exclamation Other things to do in the area:

There are many other activities in the area to help keep you busy, this year I will have to pass on many of them but I am sure I will make it back in fatter times to try my hand at some of the amazing advenbtures in the area.

White Water Rafting:

Let River Runners take you for an unforgettable outdoor experience on the Arkansas River. Free pick up and drop off from the Buena Vista KOA. Launch from our private beach just 2 miles form the Buena Vista KOA. No hastle just park and Raft.

Whether you're interested in a thrilling whitewater experience or a scenic float down one of the most beautiful stretches of river in Colorado,River Runners pull out all the stops, every time.

Trips come pre-packaged or fully customized. We offer a variety of trip lengths and degrees of difficulty, from two hours to multi-day.

River Runners caters each trip around your specific needs and wants.

Fishing:

Colorado Fly Fishing Guides is a certified and registered Colorado Outfitter with permits for the Arkansas River, parts of the South Platte River, Spinney and Eleven Mile Reservoirs, and other State Wildlife Areas. We are continually researching and adding to our permit areas. Let us guide you for a day of unforgettable beauty and memories in Colorado's great outdoors.

We are located at the Buena Vista KOA Kampground. We chose this location to provide our clients with a beautiful Western setting where they can stay while fishing with us. Reasonably priced cabins or camping sites are available for tents or with full hook-ups for RVs. A full service lodge with showers and washer/dryers are available. The views are stunning with the Sawatch Mountain Range in the background. Fifteen peaks over 14,000 feet are located in the Sawatch Range. Many are visible from the KOA.

We will meet you at the KOA in our fishing lodge and get you fitted with waders and fly rod. If you desire, come a few minutes early and enjoy a great breakfast in the Cook Shack while admiring the scenery.

Horseback Riding:

For the finest in riding, come out and experience the spectacular mountain scenery of the Upper Arkansas Valley and the San Isabel National Forest. We offer the best trails and horses for your riding pleasure. Both novice and advanced rider can enjoy the great outdoors through a variety of riding packages. Let us help you plan or schedule a memorable riding trip at AOK Korral Riding Stable.

Campground Activities:

River Runners (Rafting)
    AOK Korral Trail Rides
    Colorado Fly Fishing Guides
    Recreation Room (Foosball, Billiards, TV)
    Volleyball, Basketball, Horseshoes, Tetherball
    Playground
    Ice Cream Socials, Cookouts
    Fabulous Views of Arkansas Valley
    Spectacular Sunsets over Collegiate Peaks
    Hiking & Biking Trail on Adjacent BLM Property

Area Attractions:

Fishing/Hunting
    Hiking/Backpacking
    Rock Climbing/Rapelling
    4x4 Off Road
    Mountain Bike Trails
    ATV
    Golf
    Mt. Princeton Hot Springs
    Cottonwood Hot Springs
    Salida Hot Springs Pool
    Ghost Towns
    Historic St. Elmo
    Art Galleries
    Drive-In Theater
    Wildlife Viewing
    Trout Hatchery
    Rock Hounding
    Gold Panning
    14,000ft Peaks
    Mountain Climbing
    Colorado Trail
    Continental Divide Trail
    Rainbow Trail
    Midland Trail (Adjacent to KOA)
    Last edited by Knappster; 01-31-2011 at 01:35 PM.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty pjmjr508's Avatar
    I most likely will be doing a cabin also because with the cost of renting a tent trailer & then the cost of a spot it will be cheaper to just use one of thier cabins plus it will save on the gas of towing it from WA & back. Get paid on Friday so I will give you the res info once I make it.
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    I will be flying out to Eugene Oregon tomorrow to bring back a prisoner so I will take along my trailguide and start to select some great trails, if there are trails you would like to do like Mosquito Pass and others post it up herer or send me a PM.

We have four days to get in as many trails as we can including travel time to and from base camp and other activites.
    Last edited by Knappster; 02-03-2011 at 01:18 PM. Reason: spelling

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty strokeZ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Knappster View Post
    Okay, they do have cabin numbers but it is no biggie, hopefully it is #8. (4 and 5 are close too) 6 & 7 are two room units.
    I emailed them and looks like they have me in kabin #4. 8 is unavailable.
    2012 Jeep JKU Rubicon - 4-1/2" AEV lift w 35" Toyo's

03 BMW Z4 2.5i ESS Stage 2 Supercharged, Custom Suspension, Stebro Exhaust, Hamann Side Skirts

85 BMW 535is Lowering springs, bilstein sport shocks, extra attitude

Senior Member Getting Dirty ped4599's Avatar

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Knappster View Post
    I will be flying out to Eugene Oregon tomorrow to bring back a prisoner so I will take along my trailguide and start to select some great trails, if there are trails you woul dlike to do like Mosquito Pass and others post it up herer or send me a PM.

We have four days to get in as many trails as we can including travel time to and from base camp and other activites.

My wife said she is not going to come this year. She told me to go if i wanted to. Not sure if I should read between the lines on that or not. So i am not sure i will make it, but it could always happen. So my two scents worth on the trails may not really hold an value....BUT...

When picking the trails I would suggest using the trail damage guide and staying with shorter trails, in the 4-6 rating. Anything harder will probably not be very good for this group, but lower rating trails are basically just roads, that any car could go on. Just a thought anyway. I am just taking this from the talk around camp for the past two years...they the really long days seem to really tax people and be come sort or stressful....Several people said that the really easy trails seem to defeat the purpose of drive all the way to Camp Commander when they could drive on gravel roads anywhere. I think its good to have a mix of trails though for all levels. I just think that looking back at the trails we did over the past two years, the 4s,5s, and 6s, that were less than 10 miles, gave people a bit of a challenge, but didnt break any parts, and didnt leave you seasick.
    I thought black bear was the perfect trail last year, as did many others. Imogene is also good, but a bit long....both ofcourse would be perfect without the drive back to camp!
    But of course...i have not been on any of the trails in this new area, but have driven past there. Its hard to know what to expect until you get there. Im just trying to toss out ideas and insights from what I got from others...even if I can not make it.
    2010 Black LIMITED HEMI, Quadra DRIVE II, 2.25 inch RR lift, Off road tires (in garage) MAXXIS 265/70-17 on RUBI rims, 1.5 inch Spydertrax spacers, 4xguard: EVERYTHING I CAN GET MY HANDS ON! ROLA roof rack, RUGGED RIDGE 8500 synthetic winch, and a car seat with a CUTE backseat driver.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Tymac's Avatar
    This change is awesome for us. Now we're just about 3 hrs away. I'll get set up next week when I get back from Vegas. Go Packers!

Administrator
    Blog Entries

Trail Selection

I have listed some trails in post # 4 for consideration, please review them and make your desires known. The time and distance are for the trails only and do not include travel time to and from the trails or delays for sight seeing and meal breaks.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty WanderingTs's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Ghost towns with some sightseeing sounds like a great reason to get dirty!

Some of the runs last year ended up being pretty short, leaving half a day or so open. I don't see anything wrong with this, especially since it gives people flexiblity. On a Manx Dune Buggy rally I went to they had it set up where the second half of the day had advanced runs after the initial run for those who wanted to go a little more hardcore. I would love it if we were able to do the same one (or more) days. I love to push the edge a little bit, and doing that with the safety of other experienced XK owners around is even better. I barely used 4 low last year. I heard a rumor that El Cid and Ped4599 did a hard run the last day last year...but my vacation time had run out.

Is there anyone else coming who would like to try some sort of very advanced or hard trail later in one of the days? Does anyone have a good suggestion for a trail to fit this bill? I am not interested in going so hard that I am going to leave paint or parts somewhere along the trail, but I wouldn't mind pushing my XK to 80-90% of what it can do. A short distance but high challenge trail would probably be good if we only have half a day.
    The best things in life can not be found on a map; they can only be found while Wandering.
    __________________________________________________ ___

2007 XK - 4.7L Flex Fuel // Rocky Road 2.25 lift // Rocky Road Super Sliders // Toyo Open Country 265/70R17 tires // 4xGuard Front Guard // 4xGuard Belly Guard // 4xGuard Matrix-HC with optional front hitch // Warn XD9000I hitch mounted winch // Graco Carseat for the Youngun

http://www.xk-forum.com/blog.php - The Wild(life) Side of Jeeping

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information