Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you have dual batteries on your Commander ?

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 1USMC's Avatar

Do you have dual batteries in your Commander ?

If you have an auxiliary battery in your Commander, I was just wondering where owners are mounting them..

Thanks..
    Last edited by 1USMC; 02-03-2011 at 06:54 PM.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Not sure if anyone has done this yet but a lot of have or our considering it. I guess one spot would be where the third row seat is if you did not have it installed and had a box made like a lot of people have done. It's pretty tight under the hood but you could make room installing a CAI. Not sure how much room there is but it looks like in the back panel by the third row seats driver side one could fit in there as well. I know the cables needed from way back there won't be cheap either. Those our the locations I've been thinking about.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 1USMC's Avatar
    My third row seat was the first to go, then the stock air intake, and now I have also have opened up room where the spare tire used to live. So I'd rather have more options than not.. It's not on an immediate mod list, but I'll keep studying it.

I always learn the hard way so I thinking perhaps others may have blazed this particulate trail before me and I could learn from them...
    Last edited by 1USMC; 02-03-2011 at 08:29 PM.

Under the hood is the best place to put it. If you don't have room under there the second best place is where the 3rd row seat was. It just means a longer harder more expensive cable run. Under neath were the spare tires was would make the cable run easier but add more problems. You will need to build or buy and mount a full incloser to house the battery. No I have not done it yet but I've been researching it for a while now. I'm designing my own intake for my XK an relocating some stuff and hope to create enough room to put the battery under the hood. I have most the parts I need I refilled my propane tank yesterday so I might just heat the garage up this weekend and tackle that mod.

this has been addressed before a little bit check this link out http://www.xk-forum.com/showthread.p...Second-Battery
    Last edited by Sal-XK; 02-04-2011 at 06:08 AM.

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    I wish my XK had dual batteries and alternators. That would be sick!
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Senior Member Getting Dirty cico7's Avatar
    If you could put your air intake closer to the firewall, behiknd the reserve tank, that would open a great place for a 2nd battery.
    I was thinking about putting the intake by the firewall and a low profile scoop of some sort.

I just recently cleared that spot open under my hood and do agree it is a sweet spot for a second batter. And the stock intake box can be modified to accept a second battery so you can mount it right in there and have a covered box for it.

I am on the band wagon on this as well...looked into it but it is illeagle to mount a battery anywhere inside a vehicle's interior here in BC. I don't see a ton of room under the hood with the 4.7L. Even with a CAI, they still seem to have their intake box in the same location
    '07, 4.7L, QTII, 2" lift, T-boddy spacer, flowmaster 40, HID's, CB, JVC nav/DVD, 245/75/17 Wrangler Territory's, Superchips, 6' roofrack with 8 lights, LTD grab handles, rear storage compartment, chassis rock lights, clinometer, yadda, yadda, yadda

Quote Originally Posted by kitkat View Post
    I am on the band wagon on this as well...looked into it but it is illeagle to mount a battery anywhere inside a vehicle's interior here in BC. I don't see a ton of room under the hood with the 4.7L. Even with a CAI, they still seem to have their intake box in the same location
    You have to modify your CAI or make your own and point it somewhere else leaving the stock location empty.

Senior Member Getting Dirty hoaxci5's Avatar
    What about relocating the EVAP canister under the rear drivers side bumper area? I think that will open up some free space to figure out a mount. I've just recently started looking for a spot without having to change too much. I need to keep the third row in tact, and underhood just doesn't seem like the space is there..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information