Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AirFlow Brand (c) Snorkel

Administrator
    Blog Entries

AirFlow Brand (c) Snorkel

I know there has been discussion in the past on the desire to purchase a snorkle for the Commander and I think I was the first one in the United States to have the AirFlow Brand (c) Snorkle installed on my Commander.

There was some discussion on ather thread so I am going to copy it into the following posts as I cannot bring older posts into this thread without altering the order of the posts.
    Last edited by Knappster; 02-07-2011 at 07:16 AM.
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Here is the quote from the other thread:

Quote Originally Posted by xhjeep View Post
    Hmmm.. Maybe right on the flares but not quiet right on the snorkel... I've been in touch with Airflow after reading this and here is (with their permission) part of Airflow's reply :

"The Commander is like every kit we have made:
    Some countries (do) get that Airflow delivers a large increase in performance, decrease in fuel consumption, decrease in emissions, the vehicle can now go through water, that the air ram should never be turned backwards and the system has limit to the amount of dirt and water it can deal with.
    Some (countries) don't , thinking that it's (just) there to go through water. It also depends on (conditions) in that area at the time. Then the experts come out (and comment) with opinions based on hearsay or anecdotal evidence. They generally do not stand up to sound testing. It is only through sound design criteria, extensive testing and QC that a product can be deemed suitable for the purpose or not. (Testing) could be positive or negative. We have, when presented with these scenarios made sure that any positive or negative is based on fact, then taken the required action (on negatives).

A comment on the failure or other wise of the product to sell in any one market becomes question as outlined above. Yes we would like to know if we get (it) right or wrong (so) to that end the Distributors spend a lot of time gauging their market.
    We respond with a market driven product where an improvement is delivered and the numbers stack up.

We produce over 100 different models of snorkel more than any other as far as I am aware at the moment. We are the only ones that put performance improvements above ever thing else that I am aware of. To that end we have just release a new aero dynamic air intake on our Air rams that make them perform to 275% of free air.
    A range of induction air cleaners is about to be released that dramatically changes the performance of the intake system.
    We will start to release a range of cold air induction piping that has a large increase in performance characteristics as well.
    There are plenty of big name products out there that look good, but do not delivery the primary goal of minimum air flows to the throttle body. The reality is that many of these products deliver a decrease in air flow with profound detrimental effects.
    Improved air flow is the thing that will lead to sustain improvement without shortening the life of the engine, as is the case with some other aftermarket hard and software products.

As far as we are concerned the Commander product has well and truly exceeded our budget target. We will continue to develop products in a wide range of areas as we have done for the last 20 years.
    We are committed to upgrading the existing ranges and expanding our ranges of world wide products
    Note: Text within () are my editing for clarity. Also in response to the "only 3 sold", even though Airflow haven't given actual numbers sold, the last para clearly indicates a sales success...I have one fitted and wouldn't be without it.

For verification and clarification of any of this, contact Michael at Airflow: [email protected]
    Also in response to the "only 3 sold", even though Airflow haven't given actual numbers sold, the last para clearly indicates a sales success...I have one fitted and wouldn't be without it.

For verification and clarification of any of this, contact Michael at Airflow: [email protected]
    Quote Originally Posted by Knappster View Post
    Only 3 had been sold in North America at the time his comment was made, I know as I am one of the three owners. Airflow has however failed to make a product that will work with the XK (you have an XH) and still allow us to keep our factory radio antenna. I have no antenna at the current time since Airflow has not followed through with the replacement they promised me well over a year ago.
    Hmmm....North America...My apologies...Thanks....Wasn't immediately clear the way it was stated...The fact still remains that, as a product it is a success here in Oz and other global markets with far less Commanders sold than the US.....I along with a few others here lobbied to get this snorkel going for the XH and I know the person who volunteered his vehicle here, to get the snorkel developed and the first one ever fitted...If we'd taken the line that low volume seller like the Commander just give up then there would be no snorkel at all and this probably goes for the flares as well.....I can discuss your "no antenna at the current time since Airflow has not followed through with the replacement they promised me well over a year ago" with Michael if you wish...Guess you've asked Rocky Road Outfitters ; distributor in the US???......Would have thought an aftermarket telescopic antenna kit would do the trick..As you probably know, our antenna is printed type on the rear side window (cargo).

Edit: I will ask Airflow if they're interested in making "flare spacers" as suggested by adamag25 to fit between the OEM flares and the body to extend them out...If done right then should look ok.
    Knappster...maybe we should start another thread on this...I've jumped the gun and spoke to Michael @ Airflow and seems that your US model antenna issue has gone under the radar.. He says he's unaware of an issue and needs as many detailed photos as he can get of the XK antenna installation etc and will investigate a fix. Rather than me be a go-between, probably best if you contact him again directly.... I'm willing to forward any photos to Michael if you wish....There is a fair degree of difficulty here for him not having an XK physically to work with so as much info as you can provide will certainly help.
    Snorkle comments have been removed from fender flair thread as they appear in their full version here.
    Last edited by Knappster; 02-07-2011 at 07:23 AM.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Take notice in this phone of the XK that the radio antenna is on the front passenger fender in the location where the snorkle is installed.

Because of this the antenna had to be removed and is no longer functional.

The business here in Arizona that installed the snorkle had me take it back to them and they did a mock up on an extra piece sent to them from AirFlow and they indicated on that extra snorkle piece where the snorkel needed to be modified for the North American XK, I have e-mailed them several time since then and they have failed to respond. I have been waiting over a year for this fix.
    Last edited by Knappster; 02-07-2011 at 07:30 AM.
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Knappster...maybe we should start another thread on this...I've jumped the gun and spoke to Michael @ Airflow and seems that your US model antenna issue has gone under the radar.. He says he's unaware of an issue and needs as many detailed photos as he can get of the XK antenna installation etc and will investigate a fix. Rather than me be a go-between, probably best if you contact him again directly.... I'm willing to forward any photos to Michael if you wish....There is a fair degree of difficulty here for him not having an XK physically to work with so as much info as you can provide will certainly help.
    I will be more than happy to provide any photos and assistance that I can as this really does need to be fixed. Thanks!

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

Hello Knappster,

Here is an email I've just received from Michael... Not sure why he thinks "Replacement" should be thinking "Fix"....I'll pass on some of the pics from this thread....Can you email him or PM me with your email address so I can get him to contact you???

Who did you speak to regarding a replacement ?
    Any correspondence you have would be helpful
    I can not find any reference to this issue or any product replacement
    Please let me know so I can remedy any slip up on our part

Regards
    Michael Kirk-Williams
    Airflow Vector P/L

Member Looking for Dirt bigmaninds's Avatar
    Does this snorkel work on all engines for the Jeep Commander 3.7, 4.7? look like the same air box...

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmaninds View Post
    Does this snorkel work on all engines for the Jeep Commander 3.7, 4.7? look like the same air box...
    Yes, the snorkel works on any of the air boxes with some modifications.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty El Cid's Avatar
    I truly do hope AirFlow gets things together on building this kit to work with the XK by accommodating our antenna placement. It's a shame to have such a useful item unavailable to us as a result of the oversight.
    Mike
    2006 5.7L Limited, Inferno Red, QDII, and all goodies. Modified Superlift 4" lift-kit, B.F.G. 285/70R17 A/Ts (1.25" spacers), Aries tail-light guards, AVS ventvisors, KC Hilites off-road lights, and from 4xGuard: Belly Guard, Front Guard 4, Matrix brush guard with Receiver and Grill Hoop, Rear Diff Guard, Rear Guard 2, Rear Sliders, and Side Guards.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    I truly do hope AirFlow gets things together on building this kit to work with the XK by accommodating our antenna placement. It's a shame to have such a useful item unavailable to us as a result of the oversight.
    I had a half hour talk with Michael from Air Flow today and I think we have come up with the solution.

I was instructed to find a new location for the antenna and go about any modifications I need while documenting the steps so that it can become part of the snorkel installation process. I have a really good idea and I am going to take a bunch of photos on Friday and post them here for the forums thoughts.

Air Flow will refund any expense I incur during this process but I do not think this will cost all that much if my idea works.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

Glad things are happening at last for you Knappster... Trust you found Michael a good bloke & easy to discuss ideas with.... I did when he was developing the XH snorkel.
    Last edited by xhjeep; 02-11-2011 at 03:33 PM.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information