Thread: AirFlow Brand (c) Snorkel

Administrator
    Blog Entries

AirFlow Brand (c) Snorkel

Okay, so I am not the first in North America (Texel) but I am the first in the United States to install this product.

For a discussion thread on this product, Click here!

Here is where we started:

My install was completed by Kurt & Todd, the guys over at EXP ED ITIO NEERS, The Distributor for the United States which worked out well for me since they are only 8.4 miles from my house.

Click here to check out www.expeditioneers.com

The Snorkel is manufactured by GibsonRM Pty Ltd out of Australia and then shipped over here. This product sells for $489.00 plus tax.

Click here to go to the GibsonRM website

1.0 Introduction: The instructions indicate that the installation of this product should improve the power of your vehicle as well as reduce it's fuel consumption (I will comment on my findings later in this review).

1.2 Disclaimer: It is highly recommended that installation is undertaken by a qualified mechanic or panel beater (their term for a body repairman).

They do guarantee Airflow Snorkel kits against manufacturing defects as long as proof of purchase can be established.

My install was not text book as we had to remove the AEM Brute Force Cold Air intake and reinstall the factory equipment but we were able to pull off the complete project in about 6 hours. The instructions indicate that the install should take around 3 hours, which I do think is possible if you have everything you need and have installed one before, part of our delay was a small parts run and double checking everything before we did anything so that there were no mistakes.
    Last edited by Knappster; 02-07-2011 at 07:11 AM.
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Along with the parts kit that includes the snorkel, you will need to purchase several items if you do not have them laying around the garage.

2.1 List of tools and additional parts required:

Masking tape, clear tape, black mastic (a mess to work with but not an option), hammer, center punch, assorted screw drivers, sockets and spanners, 79mm hole saw, assorted drill set, wet/dry sandpaper, 1/2 round file, small square file, Zinc rich primer & 11 plastic rivets from Chrysler (to put the wheel well back on with).

NOT INCLUDED PART ALSO NOT ON PARTS LIST: Sheet metal, aluminum rivets.

The instructions show a 3.0 L CRD but we installed it on the 5.7 Hemi

The first step is to remove the inner wheel well and discard the sound proofing inside the fender, then it is time to start taking out the factory air box.

3.6 Remove the air intake and discard it (I have an extra one of those if someone needs one in the future).

3.7 Grind off the tube protruding out of the air box.

3.8 Cover the hole with a metallic plate (plate and rivets NOT supplied and the instructions did not list it as an additional part you needed).

The black mastic is used to seal the space between the metal plate and the air box, you cannot use any other material for this step.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    3.9 Use the connector as a template to mark a hole in the metal plate, and then install the connector using four more rivets which were NOT included or on the parts list.

I did not ask Kurt why he installed the connector in the location he did, it is close to the spot shown in the instructions but Kurt went over about three more inches, the instructions show it going over the hole created when you trim off the tube and as you can see from the picture it was installed to the side of that hole.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    3.23 Cut the template out along the guard line

3.24 Line up the template to the guard edges

3.26 Center punch all marked holes

3.27 Remove the template

3.28 Cover the areas to be drilled with masking tape

Drill holes

It should be noted here that the differences in the XK and HK are of some concern, you can see in mine that I added the trail-rated badge, this is where the turn signal is on the HK so they allow for the snorkel to go over that. Unfortunately the XK has the radio antenna on the fender and the snorkel goes right over that location causing you to have to relocate the antenna. I have not done that yet so I am still looking for the best solution.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Putting the air box back in and making the connections is not too difficult but it helps if you have small hands as the space is not very large, everything goes back to it's factory location and from under the hood it is hard to tell that you did anything.

If you look close to the bottom left side of the photo you can see a tube which connects the connector we added to the air box to the snorkel added to the fender.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    The snorkel has nuts pre-installed into the plastic part and you install them by reaching up inside the fender for a nice clean look.

Thread Information