I picked up the Jeep and all is now well.

The only interesting update was the failure of the electric motor attached to the front transfer case. Apparently this electric motor turns a gear in the transfer case to engage 4 low. The computer told the dealer the motor had a failure. When they actuated the motor, per the tech, it made a grinding sound. They pulled the electrical connector to start the troubleshooting there and transfer case fluid came out of the electrical connector. The seal between the motor and the fluid portion of the transfer case had failed and the inside of the electric motor was filled with transfer case fluid. Glad that didn't happen out on a trail somewhere.

When the failure happened I was at a red signal light. I was not attempting to shift to four low, and was in drive. While at idle, the Jeep had a total electrical failure and the engine died. I smelled an electric smell. I restarted it to get me to a parking lot where it went into limp home mode (4th). I let it sit for a minute and restarted it to try and troubleshoot. Nothing appeared wrong except the "service 4wd system" trouble light.