Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SSB in your XK?

SSB in your XK?

I am getting ready to purchase a CB for my commander. I went to a CB shop in Denver today (awesome place), the guy who runs it had a good selection of CBs as well as CBs with SSB (single side band). It got me wondering if anyone had this capability in their ride? I dont think it is something that I would use to talk to other road folk, but it might be cool while camping or something with my boys.

One a side note, they look cool with more buttons on them. lol

Jared
    Blue 2006 Jeep Commander Limited, 4.7L... AFE, Flow Master 50, Jeep Slush Mats, Grab Handles, 1.5" spidertrax, RC 2", and hacked AVIC-Z120BT w/ infinity refs all around + 320GB music library. Need a basket badly! Also need new rear bumper! (dam u blind spot)

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    I just have the basic $30 midland CB.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    I have a basic CB, not sure the extra channels would be of much use.
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 1USMC's Avatar
    Single sideband (SSB) advantage is that it is a more efficient type of communications vs straight amplitude modulation (AM) that is used with a radio w/o SSB. Think of the upper/lower channels as only having to use 1/2 of the signal of the regular channel. Power, band width and signal to noise (SNR) are all improved. That equals more effective and reliable communications. ( SSB was the method for a long time btw NORAD and our Nuke bombers)

All that said, as CB's have been slowly being replaced by other communications devices, I'm guessing mostly serious CB'rs are using the more expensive SSB radios anymore. I have one (SSB) but its to big for me to mount in my Commander so I'm using a Cobra 75 WX ST Remote Mount. Not SSB but it has other help,,, and I have other comm. installed and more to finish whenever I can get time.

There is much more to SSB,( and most of it I don't fully understand), but hope that helps..

After doing some serious research I am seriously leaning to a CB with SSB. Galaxy makes a few. They are capable of much farther distances, which in the Colorado mountains would be beneficial. I keep you posted.
    Blue 2006 Jeep Commander Limited, 4.7L... AFE, Flow Master 50, Jeep Slush Mats, Grab Handles, 1.5" spidertrax, RC 2", and hacked AVIC-Z120BT w/ infinity refs all around + 320GB music library. Need a basket badly! Also need new rear bumper! (dam u blind spot)

If you want good comm with someone that also has a SSB CB over longer and rougher distances, then I would most definitely recommend SSB modulation. Normally 2 - 4X more efficient ( dBm stuff). Let me know how it works out... <<<.>>>

Quote Originally Posted by 1USMC View Post
    If you want good comm with someone that also has a SSB CB over longer and rougher distances, then I would most definitely recommend SSB modulation. Normally 2 - 4X more efficient ( dBm stuff). Let me know how it works out... <<<.>>>
    Will do. Thanks for the input.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty WanderingTs's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    SSB is new to me also. I haven't bought a CB in 20 years...but I have bought FRS radios for use with my hunting buddies. Does anyone know how SSB compares to FRS ?
    The best things in life can not be found on a map; they can only be found while Wandering.
    __________________________________________________ ___

2007 XK - 4.7L Flex Fuel // Rocky Road 2.25 lift // Rocky Road Super Sliders // Toyo Open Country 265/70R17 tires // 4xGuard Front Guard // 4xGuard Belly Guard // 4xGuard Matrix-HC with optional front hitch // Warn XD9000I hitch mounted winch // Graco Carseat for the Youngun

http://www.xk-forum.com/blog.php - The Wild(life) Side of Jeeping

Quote Originally Posted by WanderingTs View Post
    Does anyone know how SSB compares to FRS ?
    Good question, and I'll pass on what I know and my assumptions,, but I'm not an expert or anywhere close, so please take it as that.

Family Radio Service (FRS) is one of those the types of communications that have slowly replaced the CB. It is UHF and uses Frequency Modulation (FM) vs CB's AM ( FM better and the Frequency bands both have advantages and disadvantages). I believe the FRS radios are limited (by law) to .5 watts . CB's are 4 watts and 12 watts (PEP) for SSB. FRS are a walkie talkie, smaller and with a lot more channels to chose from if you include CTCESS, ( sometimes advertised as privacy codes, they are not private. Look for voice scrambling and perhaps encryption if you need that). FRS radios are continuing to evolve with frequency hopping, spread spectrum broadcast etc.

FRS radios I have heard are great for a couple of miles, but more like 100 yards or so inside and 1/2 to 1 mile if not in line of sight. FRS's are limited for instance by fixed antennas, power etc.

CB's on the road, mobile to mobile, average 2-5 miles ish..(non SSB). A Base CB (in your home etc) to mobile and base to base CB's ...much better range !! You can work with and have more options with a CB to improve its efficiency than you can with a FRS.

If you want to get information on traffic ( smokeys) etc. CB's may still have an advantage along with monitored emergency frequency's ( not as important now that we have cell phones).

CB's can be more prone to " Skip". Also consider power supply options, pros and cons, for both FRS and CB's. All radio's range and signal quality is highly variable depending on physical and environmental conditions.

For size, convenience, and channels, I think FRS has the advantage. But for power and range I'll vote for CB ( especially w/ SSB).

To help answer the next possible question; GRMS.....

General Radio Mobile Serve (GRMS) Radios need an FCC license for a family/ business ( ie costs $). GRMS has 2- 5 watts (ERP) and up to 50 watts. ( also, the more power the faster the battery's normally drain). GRMS radios are also allowed to hit " Repeaters" that resend their signal and can have " add on antennas " that all help to increase their range and quality of signal. It is another story to compare GRMS to FRS. GRMS is said to be a cross between FRS and UHF Ham radios.

Of course like a lot of things, the quality of the product ( may or may not be directly associated with the price ) CB, FRS radios etc, can also have an effect on the performance.

Oh and Australia has UHF-FM-CB's,,, for use in their "Outback" .. very nice.!.
    Last edited by 1USMC; 02-18-2011 at 07:47 AM.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    ^ Very good post, Thanks!
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information