Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Antenna Relocation Ideas

Administrator
    Blog Entries

Antenna Relocation Ideas

As many of you know I have installed the Air Flow Snorkel on my Commander. This however created a small problem that I have yet to resolve but working with Air Flow I need to come up with a solution for the XK (the HK has the antenna in the rear passenger side window).

I am considering running the antenna cable up the A pillar and drilling a hole in the roof and mounting the antenna in the passenger side front corner like the newer models have done with the Sirius antenna, anyone have any other ideas?
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Senior Member Getting Dirty NeilSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    My idea has always been to heat the snorkel with a heat gun until it becomes somewhat pliable and press fit it around the antenna and base. Now I haven't seen a snorkel in person so this idea may not be possible.
    '07 Commander 3.7 V6
    2" Rough Country Lift with Vision Warriors and Goodyear Duratracs 245/75R17
    BajaRack Mega-Mule with KC Daylighters
    http://s624.photobucket.com/albums/t...cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

What about doing something like this?

http://www.sigmaautomotive.com/FoliaTec/antenna.php

The will even custom match your paint. Just a thought
    Blue 2006 Jeep Commander Limited, 4.7L... AFE, Flow Master 50, Jeep Slush Mats, Grab Handles, 1.5" spidertrax, RC 2", and hacked AVIC-Z120BT w/ infinity refs all around + 320GB music library. Need a basket badly! Also need new rear bumper! (dam u blind spot)

Senior Member Getting Dirty HueyPilotVN's Avatar
    I think that I have seen side mounted after market antennas. Then you would not need to extend the cable.
    2007Jeep Green Limited
    4.7 Flex Fuel, Rocky Road 2.5" Lift on front, 4 inch Superlift coils on rear, Spidertrax 1.5" Spacers, Bridgestone 265/70/17
    Chrome Nerf Side Bars, K&N CAI, Flowmaster muffler, Aluminum Diamond Plate Locking Trunk installed
    Factory Roof Pod, Blue Ox Baseplate w/D-rings, "Get Lost 4X4" Front Bumper, T-Max 9000 winch, "Get Lost rear tire carrier, 30 gal second gas tank.
    Did anyone else read the fine print in the brochure and get a $500 rebate for being a Veteran?

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilSmith View Post
    My idea has always been to heat the snorkel with a heat gun until it becomes somewhat pliable and press fit it around the antenna and base. Now I haven't seen a snorkel in person so this idea may not be possible.
    This was the original idea, however research shows that the modification would reduce the sir flow to the engine by too much to be an option

Quote Originally Posted by Spigot View Post
    What about doing something like this?
    That is sort of what I was thinking

Quote Originally Posted by HueyPilotVN View Post
    I think that I have seen side mounted after market antennas. Then you would not need to extend the cable.
    The issue is that our antenna cable is only about 20 inches and has an odd end on it, it will not reach anywhere else.
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Here are a few pictures:

The first one shows where the cable comes through the firewall and has the fixed end on it.

The cable is only about 20 inches and as you can see it has an angle shape to the end of it where it sits on the inside of the passenger fender

Here is the hole up inside that it matches up to and then the antenna screws on from the other side (where the snorkel now is).

This is what it looks like on the fender (this is the drivers side fender)

And attached to the hood (don't like this idea)

And up on the roof

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty El Cid's Avatar
    Isn't really a perfect solution, is there? Really a shame that AirFlow didn't think this all through when they put together the kit.

(I'm not blaming them, by the way; I know from experience how differences between American and international models can surprise you when it comes to accessories. I'm just saying it's a bummer.)

It would be quite a bit of careful measuring, but the other option is you could cut holes in the snorkel intake tube to allow the antenna to pass right through it. With a bit of advanced thinking you could even utilize some high-quality rubber/poly grommets to ensure that the contraption is still sealed when everything is back in place. The thickness of the antenna in the middle of the tube isn't going to effect the snorkel's flow. It would look pretty wild, but it would be perfectly usable and less intrusive on the workings and aesthetics of the rest of the vehicle.
    Mike
    2006 5.7L Limited, Inferno Red, QDII, and all goodies. Modified Superlift 4" lift-kit, B.F.G. 285/70R17 A/Ts (1.25" spacers), Aries tail-light guards, AVS ventvisors, KC Hilites off-road lights, and from 4xGuard: Belly Guard, Front Guard 4, Matrix brush guard with Receiver and Grill Hoop, Rear Diff Guard, Rear Guard 2, Rear Sliders, and Side Guards.

Senior Member Getting Dirty NeilSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    just put it in the driver's fender and buy an extension for the cable.
    '07 Commander 3.7 V6
    2" Rough Country Lift with Vision Warriors and Goodyear Duratracs 245/75R17
    BajaRack Mega-Mule with KC Daylighters
    http://s624.photobucket.com/albums/t...cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty El Cid's Avatar
    If you do that, you might not need an extension cable. Just pull it back through to the radio and then reroute out the other side of the firewall.

You'd be getting into the radio either way, I suspect, since if you do need an extension, you'll likely want to put it between the existing antenna cable (with its nicely angled bracket) and the radio itself (assuming you can remove that angled bracket from the line). There are plenty of extensions available. All pretty cheap.
    Mike
    2006 5.7L Limited, Inferno Red, QDII, and all goodies. Modified Superlift 4" lift-kit, B.F.G. 285/70R17 A/Ts (1.25" spacers), Aries tail-light guards, AVS ventvisors, KC Hilites off-road lights, and from 4xGuard: Belly Guard, Front Guard 4, Matrix brush guard with Receiver and Grill Hoop, Rear Diff Guard, Rear Guard 2, Rear Sliders, and Side Guards.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty IamJEEP's Avatar
    Just buy an amplified window antenna, problem solved.
    ****Uwharrie Aprroved****
    2006 Commander Sport- 3.7L- 4X4*Inferno Red Crystal Pearl*Rocky Road 2.25" lift *"Limited" Color-Matched Rear Grab Handles*Mopar Hitch/Harness*4xGaurd Matrix w/Fogs*Rear Bumper Lights*Tinted Front Side Markers*MHT Fuel Hostage 17x8.5 +14ET*Nitto Terra Graplers 265/70/17*
    --------->My Garage<------------------

RAGE ROOF RACK MEMBER #2
    Quote Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
    Then I drove her hard for about 45 mins.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information