Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Where did you mount your CB Radio?

Quote Originally Posted by ped4599 View Post
    HERE is where put my CB. It is hidden until i need it. I keep the mic inthe side pocket of the door and the antena cord get run out and up to the roof rack. The antena fire stick is in the back storage box by the OEM tire jack.Its all wired up and ready to go as soon as put on the mic, then run the mic out along the steering wheel.

How hard is it to change channels?
    Blue 2006 Jeep Commander Limited, 4.7L... AFE, Flow Master 50, Jeep Slush Mats, Grab Handles, 1.5" spidertrax, RC 2", and hacked AVIC-Z120BT w/ infinity refs all around + 320GB music library. Need a basket badly! Also need new rear bumper! (dam u blind spot)

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    I have my Midland mounted in the compartment to the left of the steering wheel. I did have to to cut out the back of the compartment but now it fits in there really nicely. Ill post some pictures soon. Also does anyone know how to tune the CB I have a window mounted one which I know only does so much but I cant pick up anything unless i'm directly next to someone. I'm not sure if it is just a bad antenna or if it just needs to be tuned.

Here's a great article on tuning a CB. I'm guessing the biggest issue is the "through the glass" antenna. http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs/Setting_SWR.htm

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon1024 View Post
    I have my Midland mounted in the compartment to the left of the steering wheel. I did have to to cut out the back of the compartment but now it fits in there really nicely. Ill post some pictures soon. Also does anyone know how to tune the CB I have a window mounted one which I know only does so much but I cant pick up anything unless i'm directly next to someone. I'm not sure if it is just a bad antenna or if it just needs to be tuned.
    I have the same antenna and let me tell ya these antennas are very limited. I got mine for trail use and for small trails it works ok but when we get spread out or separated it's not so good. Getting it tuned might help but based on its size it will never go very far. Oh and make sure your ground is solid as well that can cause issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal-XK View Post
    I have the same antenna and let me tell ya these antennas are very limited. I got mine for trail use and for small trails it works ok but when we get spread out or separated it's not so good. Getting it tuned might help but based on its size it will never go very far. Oh and make sure your ground is solid as well that can cause issues.
    Thats what I was afraid of... Looks like i'll be getting one of the mounts off the taillights and a new antenna. Also does yours seem to have a lot of static when you change distances?
    4.7L v8 QTII, Flowmaster Super 44, Jet Chip: Stage 1, Remote Start, 2.25" Rocky Road lift W/ shocks, .5" Rusty Off Road Strut Spacer, Midland CB Radio, PA Speaker,265/70/17 BFG Km2 Mud Terrain, XD Addict 17x9 Rims, Custom Roof Rack W/ 6 Off Road Lights, Custom Blue Lighting, Custom Front Bumper, Sony Head unit, Power Acoustic Amp, Alpine Type R Speakers (Waiting on Arrival), Upgraded Headlights Bulbs 3000K

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon1024 View Post
    Thats what I was afraid of... Looks like i'll be getting one of the mounts off the taillights and a new antenna. Also does yours seem to have a lot of static when you change distances?
    I had a few issues with mine at first like a terrible squeal when I transmitted. I just redid the ground wire and made sure that the new ground was solid and it cleared all my issues up. I can for sure hear people much further out then they can hear me(transmit). This is just a very basic trail antenna and not so good at that either like I said if you get to much separation. On the highway I tested it once and got 4 miles I think, but keep in mind it was a straight long highway. 4xGuard sells an antenna mount and there are some home made ones as well.

I had a few issues with mine at first like a terrible squeal when I transmitted. I just redid the ground wire and made sure that the new ground was solid and it cleared all my issues up. I can for sure hear people much further out then they can hear me(transmit). This is just a very basic trail antenna and not so good at that either like I said if you get to much separation. On the highway I tested it once and got 4 miles I think, but keep in mind it was a straight long highway. 4xGuard sells an antenna mount and there are some home made ones as well.
    I'll have to try regrinding it tonight and see if it helps next time. I sure hope that fixes it because I'm only looking for a trail antenna. All I'm getting now is a few hundred feet. Where is yours mounted and where is the ground?
    4.7L v8 QTII, Flowmaster Super 44, Jet Chip: Stage 1, Remote Start, 2.25" Rocky Road lift W/ shocks, .5" Rusty Off Road Strut Spacer, Midland CB Radio, PA Speaker,265/70/17 BFG Km2 Mud Terrain, XD Addict 17x9 Rims, Custom Roof Rack W/ 6 Off Road Lights, Custom Blue Lighting, Custom Front Bumper, Sony Head unit, Power Acoustic Amp, Alpine Type R Speakers (Waiting on Arrival), Upgraded Headlights Bulbs 3000K

I have mine mounted on the rear glass and ran my ground under the hood to an exsisiting ground to be sure i was good.

I have mine mounted on the rear glass and ran my ground under the hood to an exsisiting ground to be sure i was good.
    Stupid question but just want to make sure I'm not missing anything. Is the ground from the cb unit or do you have to ground the actual antenna itself.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread Information