Thread: Steel Front bumper Question

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar

Steel Front bumper Question

The shop I asked about making my bumper said they would weld all the pieces of it together. They don't have the machine to bend or fold over the steel or something like that. What I gathered is there will be a visible weld bead running down each seem. Anyone seen it done like this our can speak about it? He said he could take it to his friends shop to get the steel folded over or cut bend and fill the crack with weld and grind smooth but both options add $1k to the build. He said my price of $1500 was to make a template and then sell the rest at $2500. Seems pricey, I'm thinking about picking a welder up and taking some classes. Classes would be free for me at least.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal-XK View Post
    The shop I asked about making my bumper said they would weld all the pieces of it together. They don't have the machine to bend or fold over the steel or something like that. What I gathered is there will be a visible weld bead running down each seem. Anyone seen it done like this our can speak about it? He said he could take it to his friends shop to get the steel folded over or cut bend and fill the crack with weld and grind smooth but both options add $1k to the build. He said my price of $1500 was to make a template and then sell the rest at $2500. Seems pricey, I'm thinking about picking a welder up and taking some classes. Classes would be free for me at least.
    I think this is how the GetLost bumper was made, Doc has someone bend his metal for the rear bumper but if you have the time and tools you can build it with plate steel and then grind the welds to make it look like they are not there.

I think Doc quoted a front bumper for around $1,000 so I am not sure you would find a lot of people willing to pay $2,500.
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

That would be pretty cool for a $1k but shipping would be a kicker on that for me.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Freight shipping isn't really that bad... $150-$200 if done right.

Honestly, i'd be interested in a front bumper. I was planning on dropping quite a bit of cash for the 4XGuard setup one day primarily so I could add a winch... but id much rather have a complete front bumper with integrated winch mount; have my friend paint it to match too....

.... lol just give me a year or so to save up before this actually happens though!

Ya for me a front steal bumper is the only way to go especially for the amount of wheeling I do. Having the protection of the steal and the winch and shackle mounts is a necessity. Plus with the steal you can drill holes to mount stuff or weld stuff on where ever you want.

Member Looking for Dirt txbajacommander's Avatar
    WOW $2500 seems high, I guess the Getlost bumpers don't come up for sale to often? I'll bet Doc's price is better than that.

Quote Originally Posted by txbajacommander View Post
    WOW $2500 seems high, I guess the Getlost bumpers don't come up for sale to often? I'll bet Doc's price is better than that.
    Ya I'm thinking tat docs price plus shipping should be a lot cheaper then that. At the $1500 he quted for my bumper was not bad but thats only for the first one he makes then right up to $2500

Quote Originally Posted by txbajacommander View Post
    I think knappster was asking $850 for his getlost front bumper...he posted it somewhere.

Edit: Found the post http://www.xk-forum.com/showthread.p...Getlost+bumper
    Last edited by Spigot; 02-24-2011 at 10:39 PM.
    Blue 2006 Jeep Commander Limited, 4.7L... AFE, Flow Master 50, Jeep Slush Mats, Grab Handles, 1.5" spidertrax, RC 2", and hacked AVIC-Z120BT w/ infinity refs all around + 320GB music library. Need a basket badly! Also need new rear bumper! (dam u blind spot)

Thread Information