Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Re-gearing axles

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Just read that over and wanted to clarify a bit... since i think we're both actually on the same page.

My main point was if you're running 32s or smaller on these vehicles and have to pay full price to re-gear ($1500 in my area), the jump from 3.73s to 4.10s really isn't worth the cost. I've done a lot of work in this area and just wanted to point out that the difference between those gears will barely be felt in the butt dyno... so if someone read this thread and then dropped $1500 on a 4.10 gear set, i'd feel bad when they're gravely disappointed in the mediocre results.

But like you said... if 4.10s are all that's available and you can get them installed for a good price, then every little bit helps. From my personal experience, i wouldn't put more than $500 into that change for 32" tire on these vehicles.

.... if 4.30s or 4.56s were available, we wouldn't even be having this discussion

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    I have a question since I think you two can answer with experience and knowledge not just a guess. Since it seems the 8.25 27 spline has more options to it instead of our 29 spline. How hard or even possible would it be to put the change the spline out and drop down to the 27?

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt_ View Post
    Just read that over and wanted to clarify a bit... since i think we're both actually on the same page.

My main point was if you're running 32s or smaller on these vehicles and have to pay full price to re-gear ($1500 in my area), the jump from 3.73s to 4.10s really isn't worth the cost. I've done a lot of work in this area and just wanted to point out that the difference between those gears will barely be felt in the butt dyno... so if someone read this thread and then dropped $1500 on a 4.10 gear set, i'd feel bad when they're gravely disappointed in the mediocre results.

But like you said... if 4.10s are all that's available and you can get them installed for a good price, then every little bit helps. From my personal experience, i wouldn't put more than $500 into that change for 32" tire on these vehicles.

.... if 4.30s or 4.56s were available, we wouldn't even be having this discussion

I hear you. The only way I would consider putting 4.10's in is if there is no chance they would ever make any other gears. Cause If I had the choice, id definately go with 4.56's due to future plans.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal-XK View Post
    I have a question since I think you two can answer with experience and knowledge not just a guess. Since it seems the 8.25 27 spline has more options to it instead of our 29 spline. How hard or even possible would it be to put the change the spline out and drop down to the 27?
    Im not sure why you would want to do that? What are you trying to buy for your rear axle that you cant find in a 29 spline? A 29 spline 8.25 is going to be a hair stonger then a 27 spline for obvious reasons. They make differential covers and an ARB for the rear. What more do you need?
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Quote Originally Posted by Sal-XK View Post
    Honestly im not sure... i haven't done much work with these particular axles.

I can't believe how little aftermarket there is for these things

I recently came in contact with an employee at a [somewhat] local dealer that specializes in aftermarket equipment for jeeps, including gear changes.... i'll have to get a hold of her to see if she knows anything about more gear options for these axles.

Just thinking outside the box since all those gears listed on the site in the OP were for the 27 spline. Just brain storming

Member Looking for Dirt bigmaninds's Avatar
    I called this place called Randys Ring & Pinion and they say they have gears for the Commander front and rear. They send me an email with gears (4.56) and the master install kit. They say it will run 900 for all of the parts. Any thoughts? I plan to order them next week. They guarantee this will fit.
    This quote was prepared for you by:
    Allen Booher
    +1(425)347-1199
    ext. 5570
    Please call me directly at the above extension to finalize this order.

Quoted Parts List:
    Qty Part # Description Price Ext
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1 YG C8.25-456 8.25 CHY 4.56 R&P (_ $349.38 $349.38
    1 ZG C8.0-456 8.0IFS CHY 4.56 R&P $190.88 $190.88
    1 YK C8.25-B '76 & UP CHY 8.25" M $116.32 $116.32
    1 YK C8.0-IFS-C '03 & UP 8.0IFS CHY $285.73 $285.73
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Subtotal: $942.31
    Shipping TBD

Thoughts?

You may want to call them back up... as far as I know, no one makes gears for the Chrysler C200F (C200FE for QDII) front diffs which are really 7.875 (7.9"), not the 8.0IFS that they listed for you.

Our rear is the 8.25"... Code C213R (C213RE for QDII)

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty pjmjr508's Avatar
    also if you guys want I can go by there as well, I live in the same cit; this way they can look at mine to confirm as I have QDII. Plus I will check with a friend from work on monday, he use to work there.
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Another reason to have the QT2 you have options with this system J/K. I think with the bigger tires were running if gears were available for less then 1k that will be my next mod after rock rails the running boards are almost in my door so they need to come off.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Tymac's Avatar
    I'm only commenting of the rear diff.

I've seen a couple of complete Dana 44's out of wrecked Commanders go locally for $250. Install kit is $110 and gears for a 44 are $150. Plus you have the benefit of a stronger rear.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information