Thread: LED Tail Lights

LED Tail Lights

I've been catching up on installing all the stuff I've bought for my XK over the past 4 months or so. Today I installed my LED Tail Lights I bought off eBay for $150. They are pretty cool. The fit was perfect. It was a pretty easy install that took roughly 20 min. Here is a quick picture of it.

Sorry for the low quality picture. I'll work on getting a better one taken.

Blue 2006 Jeep Commander Limited, 4.7L... AFE, Flow Master 50, Jeep Slush Mats, Grab Handles, 1.5" spidertrax, RC 2", and hacked AVIC-Z120BT w/ infinity refs all around + 320GB music library. Need a basket badly! Also need new rear bumper! (dam u blind spot)

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty strokeZ's Avatar
    any comparo shots betweenn stock and LED when you hit the brakes?
    2012 Jeep JKU Rubicon - 4-1/2" AEV lift w 35" Toyo's

03 BMW Z4 2.5i ESS Stage 2 Supercharged, Custom Suspension, Stebro Exhaust, Hamann Side Skirts

85 BMW 535is Lowering springs, bilstein sport shocks, extra attitude

Quote Originally Posted by strokeZ View Post
    Let me see what I can take. I forgot to take a before picture, but it's easy enough to put one old side back on.
    Blue 2006 Jeep Commander Limited, 4.7L... AFE, Flow Master 50, Jeep Slush Mats, Grab Handles, 1.5" spidertrax, RC 2", and hacked AVIC-Z120BT w/ infinity refs all around + 320GB music library. Need a basket badly! Also need new rear bumper! (dam u blind spot)

Senior Member Getting Dirty Adondo's Avatar
    I've been thinking about doing this too. My license plate lights are now LED, and it looks like it's lit with daylight now. My dome lights are LED now, and the interior lights up like an open 24 hour Wal*Mart when I open the door.

The trucking industry considers LED's a safety item. The brake lights in a normal bulb take 200 to 300 milliseconds or so to fully light up. An LED is less than 1. Also, the transition from a dim tail light to bright brake light is instant and not a confusion issue for the guy following as a somewhat slowly brightening bulb might be. That extra quarter of a second or so of lit brake light gives the driver behind a fair percentage of extra reaction time.
    2006, 4.7L, QTII, Toyo Wild Country M/T 265/70R17 tires, Ultrasport 175 wheels, Rocky Road 2.25'' lift kit, HID off-road lighting, Surco 50x60 roof rack, Foxwing awning, Superchips performance programming.

Quote Originally Posted by Adondo View Post
    I've been thinking about doing this too. My license plate lights are now LED, and it looks like it's lit with daylight now. My dome lights are LED now, and the interior lights up like an open 24 hour Wal*Mart when I open the door.

The trucking industry considers LED's a safety item. The brake lights in a normal bulb take 200 to 300 milliseconds or so to fully light up. An LED is less than 1. Also, the transition from a dim tail light to bright brake light is instant and not a
    confusion issue for the guy following as a somewhat slowly brightening bulb might be. That extra quarter of a second or so of lit brake light gives the driver behind a fair percentage of extra reaction time.
    That's cool. I didn't know that. I thought they just look cool! lol I debated which ones to get. They make smoked lenses too, but I got the clear ones. I'm still working on a lighted up picture. We had some snow today, so it wasn't a good day for photography.

These LED tail lights keep the same backup bulbs, do they make brighter LED bulbs that might replace these? One of my future mods is lights on the back of my future basket to help backing up while off-road. Maybe I've been going about that all wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by strokeZ View Post
    I didn't have any time today to swap the tail light with the OEM for a picture, but it should be the same as what you have. Here is a better shot of the LED light. Hope this helps.

Thread Information